Kings notes: China leaves special memory

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/11152499p-12068712c.html

Kings notes: China leaves special memory

Bobby Jackson can't say enough about last week's journey.

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Wednesday, October 20, 2004

FRESNO - Kings guard Bobby Jackson didn't believe he was going to enjoy the team's trip to China last week, but he was pleasantly surprised.

And his change of heart had nothing to do with scoring the basket that gave the Kings their first preseason victory in the second of the two exhibition games against the Houston Rockets.

"I had a blast," Jackson said, "and I didn't think I was going to have a blast, but I did. Just seeing the different culture and how friendly everybody was. People getting around on their bicycles and everything. It was just interesting to see another culture totally different from the United States."

Jackson was particularly impressed with the Great Wall, even though the visit came just hours after the team arrived in Beijing.

"Everybody should go see that," Jackson said. "There is so much history to that place and a wall you can't come close to seeing the end of."

Forward Chris Webber said the trip to the wall also left a lasting impression.

"Me and Brad (Miller) and Darius (Songaila) went to the wall, and that probably was the highlight of the trip," Webber said. "We had a lot of fun."

Webber said the team returned to Sacramento on Sunday afternoon and he reached his home about 5 p.m. Unquestionably, the lowlight of the trip for most everyone was the disruption of sleep patterns.

"I went to sleep about 6 p.m. and woke up about 9 p.m.," Webber said. "Then I went back to sleep about 1 a.m. and slept until I had to get up for practice at 12:30 p.m."

Guard Mike Bibby couldn't make the trip to the wall.

"We got to (Beijing) about 5 o'clock in the morning," Bibby said. "They left at 10 a.m. I would have given someone a million dollars if they could have gotten me out of bed that morning."

Carril likes what he sees - Assistant coach Pete Carril said his history of heart trouble caused him to miss the trip to China.

"I couldn't take those long flights," he said. "I didn't want to take the chance. I'd been to Taiwan three summers in row, and the flights are about the same length. But then I didn't have my heart problems. And I don't care how long a flight is, I never sleep. "I heard I missed a lot on the trip, but I like what I saw from the team in those two games."