[Game] Kings @ Mavericks - Sunday, Dec. 8 - 4 PT, 7 ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Nice game.

Bjelica was on target tonight. A few games ago when he had all those travelling calls it seemed to have gotten him all off-kilter, but tonight he was all good.

Bjelica: Whatever you ate today, keep eating it. Whatever you wore today, keep wearing it. Whatever girl friend you've been seeing, keep seeing her. Don't change a thing.

Not once did I see the Kings get baited tonight by Doncic. It was a testament to discipline, not exactly what this team has been known for recently. Walton devised the defense and the Kings executed it to perfection.

The offense had just enough drives to the basket in the 2nd half to get them over the hump. (It obviously still needs work). I said to my wife with about a quarter to go in the game that the Kings had to get to 110 points to win. It's nice to be right and it's even better to win when you're right.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
They are playing the passing lanes. Teams do this repeatedly to the Kings and typically the Kings struggle.
Didn't seem to bother them much in the first half. The Kings trust their dribble more than they trust their passing when it gets tight; also, guys stand around a lot.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Didn't seem to bother them much in the first half. The Kings trust their dribble more than they trust their passing when it gets tight; also, guys stand around a lot.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I remember Webber saying once that good passing was the result of trusting your teammates. The Kings are still a work in progress but I think they'll get there...especially with Luke Walton at the helm.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Yeah, no doubt, and as great as Joseph has been on defense, we are seeing how much Fox being a threat to score at PG is missed. My question is what would Bagleys role be? He's another player you can enter the ball into beyond the pressure as well. But will it be used in the right situations?
We're finally going to get an inkling on December 11. I've got it marked on my calendar.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I was thinking the exact same thing. I remember Webber saying once that good passing was the result of trusting your teammates. The Kings are still a work in progress but I think they'll get there...especially with Luke Walton at the helm.
And they've had a lot of turnover problems this year, so it's totally natural to not want to pass the ball when the pressure is on. Like you said, it's a work in progress.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Only one Mavs fan predicted a loss for their team in their game thread. They started off pretty salty, even quoting my admonition about Luka.

Bless their hearts.
The Mavs are a team whose record is hiding the fact that they’re a horrible team aside from one player. Unless one of their other guys breaks out, I can see them coming down to earth moving forward.

The Mavs are a team whose record is hiding the fact that they’re a horrible team aside from one player. Unless one of their other guys breaks out, I can see them coming down to earth moving forward.
Yeah, this was my first time watching them, and I have some thoughts. The Zinger looks like a shell of himself. Not just physically, but emotionally. We kept putting 2s on him, and all he could muster were turnaround fallaways. He hit some of them, and its not a bad shot for him in theory, but it can't feel good to get stonewalled by guards all night. He just looks like a guy realizing he made a huge mistake. He had the Knicks in the palm of his hand--now he's second banana and getting scraps from Luka. Because Carlisle sure as heck isn't going to run anything for Zinger. They ran, like, 2-3 plays for the big fella. Carlisle seems like the type of coach who treats his ONE star well, and is really sharp on Xs and Os, so solid role players are put in a position to succeed. But man, if you're a second tier star like Zinger, I don't think Carlisle is very fun to play for. Basically, the Larry Brown school of coaching. Long story short, I think Zinger will be available by the summer.

Agree with a couple posters above, the Mavs just don't seem that dangerous, in the end. I know they are playing well now, but every playoff team is going to have a guy that can guard Luka the way Joseph did tonight. Plus, whistles get tight. And, whistles are going to tighten up for him anyway, because of the histrionics. Ice cold take: I predict a lot of fines in Mark Cuban's future for when he whines about touch fouls not getting called for Luka. Luka, like Lebron, has a step-back three from that one spot on the floor (literally the same spot) and no where else. If you can sit on that and still be strong enough to hold position on his shoulder barge drives, then you can bother his game a lot.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Agree with a couple posters above, the Mavs just don't seem that dangerous, in the end. I know they are playing well now, but every playoff team is going to have a guy that can guard Luka the way Joseph did tonight. Plus, whistles get tight. And, whistles are going to tighten up for him anyway, because of the histrionics. Ice cold take: I predict a lot of fines in Mark Cuban's future for when he whines about touch fouls not getting called for Luka. Luka, like Lebron, has a step-back three from that one spot on the floor (literally the same spot) and no where else. If you can sit on that and still be strong enough to hold position on his shoulder barge drives, then you can bother his game a lot.
Indeed. I do think there could be similar aspect to Doncic and Harden: When the playoffs start the gimme ref calls occur less and less.

Also, we've got a long ways to go before the playoffs. I'm not assuming Dallas is a foregone conclusion for a playoff berth, by any means.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Indeed. I do think there could be similar aspect to Doncic and Harden: When the playoffs start the gimme ref calls occur less and less.

Also, we've got a long ways to go before the playoffs. I'm not assuming Dallas is a foregone conclusion for a playoff berth, by any means.
I mean, somehow losing to the Knicks twice and then losing to the Kings coming off of a slump and with pretty much no primary option left doesn't normally indicate playoff readiness

Yeah the Kings don’t always see the obvious pass. Even on the Bogi-Barnes play they did a great job of getting Luka switched defensively on Barnes. Barnes went past him easily forcing help. Unfortunately, Barnes failed to drop the ball off to a waiting Holmes.

Kings were terrible against the zone last season with Fox as well. That epic collapse vs Brooklyn was because of the zone defense. I think it’s just the Kings inability to quickly adapt to opponent changes in strategy.
Zone only works when guys don’t make their open perimeter looks. As many good shooters as the KINGS have, it really isn’t a recipe for success for an opponent on a consistent basis. But anything can work from time to time.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
just got done watching the replay, this game should of not been so close and Luka had a good look to tie this game up, whether he got fouled or not I can't say for certain but the Kings never do make it easy, this much we know

just got done watching the replay, this game should of not been so close and Luka had a good look to tie this game up, whether he got fouled or not I can't say for certain but the Kings never do make it easy, this much we know
the Mavs' broadcast had many replays of that play and he did get fouled, elbow touch to make the ball fall short. Its at least a little bit of a payback for all the times we have been screwed this season in the last 2 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.