[Game] Kings @ Knicks- 4/4/2024 - 4:30PM PST/7:30PM EST (TNT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep! Defense was lacking at the end, and they were jacking up the 3s but it was definitely 8 vs 5 the last part of third quarter til end of the game.
Yep. The Kings shooting and missing tough 3's is basically points on the other end. In the first half the Kings big lineup was locking down the Knicks. Then the Knicks just started to attack the heck out of the paint and the Kings were tired on offense.

I'll keep calling this out if no one else is. The final tally for the second half...

New York gets 19 FTA
Sacramento gets 4 FTA

+15 in favor of New York. Margin of victory was 11 points.
Part of it is our own doing. We stylistically are a finesse offense. I was making a point to see how often we create contact. There were multiple consecutive possessions where we shot 3s and jump shots not seeking any contact. And when we’re in the paint, we like to run around and jump straight up for a shot instead of getting into an off balance defender. I want our staff to make a point of improving on this during the off-season

This one put me in a bad mood. We just had no answer for those little 6-15 foot shots by Hart and Bruh. They also made timely 3s that ripped this away from us. If we lose tomorrow, we might need to go 4-1 to hold off the damn Lakers. We might need some help from other teams to avoid the streaking Warriors. What an insane season.

Just because we shoot 3s doesn't mean we don't drive to the paint abd bang, we don't get calls. When is the last time we won the FT battle vs a legit team? When you don't get calls while the other team gets touch calls it's deflating. Period. And Barnes is trash I'm sick of him

There's still hope to go 2-2 on this road trip. Celtics could be resting their guys and the kings will want to redeem themselves from tonights loss hence they will play harder. Kings are favored to beat the nets which could be seen as a good or bad thing and they've played well against the thunder for the most part.

Part of it is our own doing. We stylistically are a finesse offense. I was making a point to see how often we create contact. There were multiple consecutive possessions where we shot 3s and jump shots not seeking any contact. And when we’re in the paint, we like to run around and jump straight up for a shot instead of getting into an off balance defender. I want our staff to make a point of improving on this during the off-season
Yeah, Lyles through his tired play was trying to pull out his best Magic Johnson with some of that interior passing rather than pounding it down low lol. I still can't believe Brown didn't go back to flattening out the offense and giving the entire free throw line and above area to Fox. Brown let the Knicks blitz Fox on pick and roll all night.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Sure. I pointed this out as well -- to a certain extent this team does settle for threes instead of getting into places where they're likely to draw fouls. But it's a bit of a chicken and egg thing isn't it? We can't get a call inside on our drives for nearly a full quarter (particularly Fox) while the other team is getting three point plays and bail out calls which allow them to continually put points on the board. Eventually it reaches a breaking point and we're either jacking threes to try and catch up because of the slow trickle of free throws the other team is making or our guys are getting hammered when they do drive so settling for jumpers at least presents them the opportunity to get a decent shot up.

I don't think the Kings are blameless or that the free throws alone decided the game but it's awful conspicous when the other team gets up 11 straight FTA in more than a quarter's worth of game time without fouling us once? And this is a Thibodeau team too so you know damn well they're fouling people.

What player do we need on our team that will draw enough ratings to get us foul calls. That’s really what’s it’s all about now. It’s no longer a talent vs talent game. You gotta get the ratings to make all star teams and get calls in a game. So who is that player?

This one put me in a bad mood. We just had no answer for those little 6-15 foot shots by Hart and Bruh. They also made timely 3s that ripped this away from us. If we lose tomorrow, we might need to go 4-1 to hold off the damn Lakers. We might need some help from other teams to avoid the streaking Warriors. What an insane season.
If the Lakers finish the season on this trajectory then there was likely nothing the Kings could do anyway haha. This would be a very clear example of the Kings starting the season strong, then teams pulling ahead at the finish line as the Kings kind of settled into .500 territory. The Kings have been scarily consistent in an up and down manner since the start of the new year. The biggest streak of W's they've gone on is 4, but that was following 4 losses in a row. Then it's 2 up, 2 down kind of stuff. The Kings going from best on offense to middle-ish then from near worst on D, then best in this stretch while it not really changing the record in those 10 game snaps I think unequivocally indicates that this team is missing that next talent, it's not an issue of play calls, style, role player subs, etc. It's a hole somewhere.

The Kings need another guy that can pound the paint and force something - like Josh Hart, Aaron Gordon, Naz Reid,Siakam etc… just can’t win physical games like this without another beast inside.

And I agree that the refs took Fox out of the game in the 4th.

What player do we need on our team that will draw enough ratings to get us foul calls. That’s really what’s it’s all about now. It’s no longer a talent vs talent game. You gotta get the ratings to make all star teams and get calls in a game. So who is that player?
I know the refs could be screwing the kings, but at the same time I'm not sure the kings are really helping themselves either. Let's call it for what it is.. the Kings are a periemeter jump shooting team and teams like these typically don't get a lot of calls.

The Kings need another guy that can pound the paint and force something - like Josh Hart, Aaron Gordon, Naz Reid,Siakam etc… just can’t win physical games like this without another beast inside.

And I agree that the refs took Fox out of the game in the 4th.
Monte has a real shot to have a very balanced roster if he can get that other F spot nailed down. Fox/Ellis/???/Keegan/Domas. With Ellis and Keegan on defense it might not even need to be a super duper star either. Just someone that is going to be a threat to get you 20+ a night. Not 30 one night, then 10 the next. They need legit consistency. If they can get that, then Domas kind of fading against teams like this will be minimized.

Paul George? If Monte decides to take a swing on an older well established player, who can get his own shot

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Monte has a real shot to have a very balanced roster if he can get that other F spot nailed down. Fox/Ellis/???/Keegan/Domas. With Ellis and Keegan on defense it might not even need to be a super duper star either. Just someone that is going to be a threat to get you 20+ a night. Not 30 one night, then 10 the next. They need legit consistency. If they can get that, then Domas kind of fading against teams like this will be minimized.
I agree with your first sentence but I think Keegan is on track to be the third 20ppg guy already and all we need at that other forward spot is another 8-10ppg defensive role-player type (preferrably a big guy) who can shoot wide open jumpers just well enough that the other team still has to guard them on the perimeter.

If the Lakers finish the season on this trajectory then there was likely nothing the Kings could do anyway haha. This would be a very clear example of the Kings starting the season strong, then teams pulling ahead at the finish line as the Kings kind of settled into .500 territory. The Kings have been scarily consistent in an up and down manner since the start of the new year. The biggest streak of W's they've gone on is 4, but that was following 4 losses in a row. Then it's 2 up, 2 down kind of stuff. The Kings going from best on offense to middle-ish then from near worst on D, then best in this stretch while it not really changing the record in those 10 game snaps I think unequivocally indicates that this team is missing that next talent, it's not an issue of play calls, style, role player subs, etc. It's a hole somewhere.
you are basically describing teams 4-10. It’s just a shush show in the West and only a handful of teams have figured anything out. That’s what happens when you have a surplus of talent and 35-40 year olds are still among the best players. We picked a bad time to finally turn the franchise around haha

Pipe dream, but Jaren Jackson JR would be the perfect fit next to Sabonis. Maybe the kings could get someone similar if not Jaren Jackson.

I agree with your first sentence but I think Keegan is on track to be the third 20ppg guy already and all we need at that other forward spot is another 8-10ppg defensive role-player type (preferrably a big guy) who can shoot wide open jumpers just well enough that the other team still has to guard them on the perimeter.
My question is still whether or not that's the smart route to take. As the 3 and D guy he's seemingly found a niche. The issue is still him not getting to the line. Until he can do that on a nightly basis he's going to an in the flow of the offense type of player. Maybe yes, top shelf is a Klay type, but as I've pointed out before the Warriors always tried to put another legit scorer next to Klay regardless. One that could go out and run offense. I think the Kings have a better shot at finding a scorer than they do a player that is doing what Keegan is right now. If Monte can find a 2 way guy great, but those aren't cheap.

you are basically describing teams 4-10. It’s just a shush show in the West and only a handful of teams have figured anything out. That’s what happens when you have a surplus of talent and 35-40 year olds are still among the best players. We picked a bad time to finally turn the franchise around haha
Yeah, and the next question is how to get up to that top 3 and who does it first. This is going to be a scrum 4-10 come summer time, best believe that.

Pipe dream, but Jaren Jackson JR would be the perfect fit next to Sabonis. Maybe the kings could get someone similar if not Jaren Jackson.
That would be unreal but yeah, likely not, haha. I'm sure we'll find out if the Kuz rumors are true although I'm still not a big fan of his shot selection and impact but with Keon cementing that SG spot Kuz might not be nearly as bad of a fit anymore. Jerami Grant might be good enough with this new roster and a returning Monk. I still think taking a shot at someone like De'Andre Hunter is a worthwhile gamble. Then obviously Mikal Bridges but they won't be giving him away.

Sure. I pointed this out as well -- to a certain extent this team does settle for threes instead of getting into places where they're likely to draw fouls. But it's a bit of a chicken and egg thing isn't it? We can't get a call inside on our drives for nearly a full quarter (particularly Fox) while the other team is getting three point plays and bail out calls which allow them to continually put points on the board. Eventually it reaches a breaking point and we're either jacking threes to try and catch up because of the slow trickle of free throws the other team is making or our guys are getting hammered when they do drive so settling for jumpers at least presents them the opportunity to get a decent shot up.

I don't think the Kings are blameless or that the free throws alone decided the game but it's awful conspicous when the other team gets up 11 straight FTA in more than a quarter's worth of game time without fouling us once? And this is a Thibodeau team too so you know damn well they're fouling people.
I don’t disagree with anything you’re saying. That said, we let the Knicks off the hook specifically in the 3rd quarter. We generated a bunch of quick fouls on them, and I believe we were in the bonus 5 minutes in (McBride had like 4 of those fouls). We proceeded to shoot a bunch of 3s, midrange shots (specifically from Sabonis), and turned it over a bunch of times. We went to the foul line once after we were in the bonus, on an and-1. We didn’t do a good job drawing contact, but at the same time Knicks made some key adjustments to shut down the lane

To be fair, the Kings were still getting the contact that was getting called a foul in the first half, Tony Brothers just decided to stop calling them fouls in the second half the second McBride got his 4th foul.
Meh. Our drives to the bucket, if attempted, were weak sauce. You have to go in there and take someone’s head off in the process…especially against someone with 4 fouls early in the second half. Run a play. Get cerebral. Figure it out! The good teams do and they execute.

Status
Not open for further replies.