Kings hire Joe Dumars as front office advisor

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
He made some good moves and some head scratching ones in his time with Detroit, like any GM in the league. I'll give it a chance before I knock it. Kings always bringing in new faces to the front office in some way

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It’s staggering how some people can read things into everything. If you rewind 12 months ago exact same thing was being said when Kings hired Williams. Fast forward a year and Vlade fired Williams.

Some people are just reactionary by nature and read something into things that is just not there. We needed to beef up the front office and we did with Dumars. Some people didn’t like the draft selections and all of a sudden ownership is making a move! :rolleyes:

On a nother note, I am wondering if Ken Catanela and Dumars were in Detroit at the same time (at least towards the end of Dumars’ tenure with the Pistons)
They were. Scott Perry also was Dumars' right hand man in Detroit so there are a couple of connections here.

But that shoe always seems to morph into something else around these parts. The smoke almost always precludes something. We heard the same things about Joerger around here, but that shoe eventually got up and walked on it's own. Surprise, surprise.
If you are saying this was done because of the draft last night, then this is an extremely fast turnaroumd. in 24 hours they would have to.determine that they need someone, then identify a candidate, then negotiate with the candidate, and strike a deal. that just seems way too.fast...

If you are saying this was done because of the draft last night, then this is an extremely fast turnaroumd. in 24 hours they would have to.determine that they need someone, then identify a candidate, then negotiate with the candidate, and strike a deal. that just seems way too.fast...
This isn't something new obviously. They brought in Perry to work under Vlade so they've continued to search. This may have been a long time coming, but pulling the trigger on research/negotiations already done can happen in an instant. What was different about today that had them get it done rather than 2 weeks ago? Or 2 days ago? If they didn't think Dumars could have been some serious help during the workout process of the draft they are sorely mistaken.

This isn't something new obviously. They brought in Perry to work under Vlade so they've continued to search. This may have been a long time coming, but pulling the trigger on research/negotiations already done can happen in an instant. What was different about today that had them get it done rather than 2 weeks ago? Or 2 days ago? If they didn't think Dumars could have been some serious help during the workout process of the draft they are sorely mistaken.
Who is they?

Pretty sure Vlade brought in Perry and Williams (whom he then fired at the end of the season).

Anyway, these things do take time. They were rightly concentrating on getting the coaching staff completed. I am sure that discussions with not just Dumars but other candidates were also taking place. Dumars also needs to give a period of notice to his employer at the time before he can leave. Its not just a drop of the hat thing. If Dumars was part of the player agency as it has been reported then I highly doubt he would have done as much scouting as the front office team did. His value, for the upcoming season is better utilized in free agency than at draft time.

Anyway it looks like a pretty good move. We will find out in less than a year if its working. The front office seems to work well as a team with Vlade having the final say. If there is even a hint of power play, they are out of here. See Williams as an example.

I wish they would hire some younger minds to help out. Most of these old timers are going to try and replicate the way they used to do it because that's the only way they know how. The game has just changed too much since then.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Dumars is to the Kings as Jerry West is the Clippers. This is a very good move and should help this team in FA and in the coming years. I've thought for a while now that the Kings needed another veteran brain in the front office, and Dumars fits the bill. I just hope that he sticks around for several years so that the Kings management team has some continuity.

Who is they?

Pretty sure Vlade brought in Perry and Williams (whom he then fired at the end of the season).

Anyway, these things do take time. They were rightly concentrating on getting the coaching staff completed. I am sure that discussions with not just Dumars but other candidates were also taking place. Dumars also needs to give a period of notice to his employer at the time before he can leave. Its not just a drop of the hat thing. If Dumars was part of the player agency as it has been reported then I highly doubt he would have done as much scouting as the front office team did. His value, for the upcoming season is better utilized in free agency than at draft time.

Anyway it looks like a pretty good move. We will find out in less than a year if its working. The front office seems to work well as a team with Vlade having the final say. If there is even a hint of power play, they are out of here. See Williams as an example.
The Kings.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Kings hired Dumars to create a relationship with boogie. Dumars trades for Rasheed and built a championship team. Knowing how to deal with certain personalities may be trait Dumars has. Our team is full of nice young guys now. We can now get cousins with a fresh start and build from here. Forget the past. Also Joe was president of the basketball division of the agency that represents Cousins. Just seems like fences trying to be mended

Last edited:
Kings hired Dumars to create a relationship with boogie. Dumars trades for Rasheed and built a championship team. Knowing how to deal with certain personalities may be trait Dumars has. Our team is full of nice young guys now. We can now get cousins with a fresh start and build from here. Forget the past. Also Joe was president of the basketball division of the agency that represents Cousins. Just seems like fences trying to be mended
You really think this is possible? I’d say so if Vlade weren’t here, but i don’t know if Demarcus really cares for him too much lol

Also, Big Cuz May be a little too slow for our new style, and now a defensive liability due to injuries

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think you've taken a really dangerous leap off assumption cliff.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I think you've taken a really dangerous leap off assumption cliff.
Maybe. But we will see. Can’t deny what we need on the court and what he brings on the court at a price that leaves us enough to sign people that would then look at us as a contender. Players like Oubre and Beverly. And we could afford them. Think of this
Fox/Beverly/?
Hield/bogdan/James
Barnes/Oubre/brewer
Bagley/belli/Giles
Cousins/Giles

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Maybe. But we will see. Can’t deny what we need on the court and what he brings on the court at a price that leaves us enough to sign people that would then look at us as a contender. Players like Oubre and Beverly. And we could afford them. Think of this
Fox/Beverly/?
Hield/bogdan/James
Barnes/Oubre/brewer
Bagley/belli/Giles
Cousins/Giles
A part of me would love to see him return. If it went well, all is good. If it didn't, however, there could be a lot of collateral damage. This is one deal we could not afford to get wrong.

Entity

Hall of Famer
A part of me would love to see him return. If it went well, all is good. If it didn't, however, there could be a lot of collateral damage. This is one deal we could not afford to get wrong.
Well he learned how to play when he isn’t THE MAN both in New Orleans and In Golden State. That would be the case this time around. He would just compliment our 3 top guys. Not saying he wouldn’t be in the mix. I’m just saying the situation and the personnel has changed. Complete fresh start from players to coaches. It’s the perfect storm for a return and the perfect storm for our needs. It just makes to much sense.

Well he learned how to play when he isn’t THE MAN both in New Orleans and In Golden State. That would be the case this time around. He would just compliment our 3 top guys. Not saying he wouldn’t be in the mix. I’m just saying the situation and the personnel has changed. Complete fresh start from players to coaches. It’s the perfect storm for a return and the perfect storm for our needs. It just makes to much sense.
This is some fantasy. DMC is not a good fit for a running team, nor for a young team. Therefore he would be a bad fit for the Kings.
But that’s all academic. DMC is not going to work for Vlade, who rejected him and threw him under the bus, and Vlade is not going to have DMC back on his team and in his team’s locker room.

Entity

Hall of Famer
This is some fantasy. DMC is not a good fit for a running team, nor for a young team. Therefore he would be a bad fit for the Kings.
But that’s all academic. DMC is not going to work for Vlade, who rejected him and threw him under the bus, and Vlade is not going to have DMC back on his team and in his team’s locker room.
Vuc is not for a running team yet we got 30 pages on that guy and he is 30 mil a year. Cousins has proven himself more than Vuc and is cheaper.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
what was his average of technical fouls per game in kings?

edit: 0.22 per game, 107 overall in kings
not my cup of tea...
The key word in your question is WAS. DMC is not the tech-grabbing player he was back in the day, especially when you consider a number of those fouls were called on reputation and more were called because of his frustration. He has learned a lot since his time here. He still gets T'ed up but both Durant and Draymond Green averaged higher per game stats than he did.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/player-stat/fouls-technical

Does this concern anyone else in terms of FO leaks??

Link to Reddit article: https://www.red dit.com/r/nba/comments/c60ygg/why_it_is_fair_to_think_that_adrian_wojnarowski

MOD NOTE: The article itself has been removed. There are language issues plus a lack of attribution. Remove the space to use the link.
You have to admit, that’s not great to read. From a Kings perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this concern anyone else in terms of FO leaks??

Link to Reddit article: https://www.red dit.com/r/nba/comments/c60ygg/why_it_is_fair_to_think_that_adrian_wojnarowski

MOD NOTE: The article itself has been removed. There are language issues plus a lack of attribution. Remove the space to use the link.
I had known about this before but you would hope that Dumars has learnt his lesson. Woj hasn't broken anything about the Kings free agency so far. No interest in player A or player B. No nothing other than Barnes opting out but that was via his agent anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to admit, that’s not great to read. From a Kings perspective.
I’m not worried about it. It happened once, he received a hefty fine for it so I wouldn’t expect it again. Besides, Woj suddenly getting inside info on the KINGS would be a bit obvious, right?

No chance he’s that stupid. And he’s not the top guy here anyway.

I’m not worried about it. It happened once, he received a hefty fine for it so I wouldn’t expect it again. Besides, Woj suddenly getting inside info on the KINGS would be a bit obvious, right?

No chance he’s that stupid. And he’s not the top guy here anyway.
Plus he would have seen what happened to Williams after leaking the Joerger stuff last year.

Plus he would have seen what happened to Williams after leaking the Joerger stuff last year.
Maybe. Or maybe our slow reaction in dealing with the Williams problem is a sign of weakness? I would like to have seen that problem nipped in the bud. I can only think now that Vlade was sympathetic to what Williams was saying/thinking; just not approving of how he said it.

Does anyone else notice a lot more information being released about the Kings FA than previously? Would confirm my belief about Dumars. Everyone seems to have an inside scoop. I'll link revelant tweets in periodical order that has come out today without repeating any of the same information from different sources: