Kings games vs. Grizzlies postponed

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
The East coast is a mess right now. Washington hasn't been able to play since January 11th. Some of these games might end up being pushed to the end of the season or just outright cancelled.

Vaccine doesn't change anything. Still have social distance, still have to wear masks, still can get COVID.
How about:
Vaccine doesn't change the fact that they’ll still have to social distance and wear masks until at least fall 2021, and the vaccines do not give you 100% protection from COVID. And you can still spread the disease even if the vaccine works for you.

How about:
Vaccine doesn't change the fact that they’ll still have to social distance and wear masks until at least fall 2021.
What changes in the fall?
Seriously tho.

I can see current variants spreading and the potential for newer, more mutated variants emerging. It will potentially be like the flu where we get a shot each year but the virus we receive (in the shot) is from the year before.

What changes in the fall?
Seriously tho.

I can see current variants spreading and the potential for newer, more mutated variants emerging. It will potentially be like the flu where we get a shot each year but the virus we receive (in the shot) is from the year before.
Dr. Fauci has said if the U.S. can "dilligently" vaccinate, we may see a return to normal life around early fall. But you may be right with your worst case scenario and we may have to re-define normal.

Dr. Fauci has said if the U.S. can "dilligently" vaccinate, we may see a return to normal life around early fall. But you may be right with your worst case scenario and we may have to re-define normal.
There’s a certain faction of people in this country that aren’t going anywhere. And as long as they’re around this is going to be the new normal. Even with vaccinations or whatever, if just a few die from COVID they’ll continue to be outcry for social distance and shut downs. Even though the youth continue to be more in danger of dying from influenza and nobody ever wanted to shut down or social distance for that.

Times have changed.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'm gonna leave the prognosticating and predicting to the actual doctors on these forums and just say that both of the biggest surges of COVID-19 in Japan happened when the Japanese government got extra hellbent on proving to the IOC that it would be totally awesome to have the Olympics in the middle of the worst global pandemic since the Spanish Flu. When sports and money get involved, people tend to act irrationally and the current NBA season is no exception.

Also without saying enough to get myself fired, I will say that every single one of Japan's biggest entertainment company's live entertainment theaters has hosted at least one cluster of COVID-19 infections and that's just counting the performers, who are only allowed to be backstage just before and after their performances. And we were only operating at 50% capacity until November, after which even more people got infected and we acted like everything was fine.

As someone involved in the entertainment industry, I do not envy the NBA at all.

Not to be bleak but this is more likely what I expect to happen. Especially with the normal amount of anti vaccers on top of the general distrust of our government at the moment, I do not see enough people rushing out to get the vaccine that is going to tip the scale in either which way. I would not be surprised at all if were still wearing masks and shutting down indoor dining come fall

Gonna answer a few questions here.

1.) Getting high profile people vaccinated is very important in the process of normalizing the vaccines. People are sheep and will do what famous people do. Elvis publicly getting the polio vaccine was extremely impprtant in getting mass buy in from the US population. So a couple thousand vaccinations over a fews sports is a drop in the bucket if it gets people off the fence.

https://www.neh.gov/article/elvis-presley-set-example-getting-his-polio-vaccination

2.) What will be different in the fall? Hopefully, 60-70% of our population has antibodies from either having it or being vaccinated to where we can get back to some normal mechanisms of life.

3.) We are not being given the virus. The vaccine is Mrna, which tricks the body into creating antibodies. This is a false narrative that needs to stop being repeated as it is scaring people who dont want to put the virus in their body.

4.) The vaccine changes everything. We don't need 100% innoculation to diminish this disease to almost zero affect. COULD it mutate to where the current vaccination doesn't protect us, possibly. But lets get everyone vaccinated and see what happens.

I talked to my idiot brother last night and he doesn't want to get vaccinated because he thinks it causes temporary memory loss because he hear it from a guy who heard it from another guy. This stuff needs to stop and we need to stop spread disinformation. This rollout of getting the majority of people vaccinated in the next 6 months is extremely important to our every day lives.

1.) Getting high profile people vaccinated is very important in the process of normalizing the vaccines. People are sheep and will do what famous people do. Elvis publicly getting the polio vaccine was extremely impprtant in getting mass buy in from the US population. So a couple thousand vaccinations over a fews sports is a drop in the bucket if it gets people off the fence.

https://www.neh.gov/article/elvis-presley-set-example-getting-his-polio-vaccination

2.) What will be different in the fall? Hopefully, 60-70% of our population has antibodies from either having it or being vaccinated to where we can get back to some normal mechanisms of life.

3.) We are not being given the virus. The vaccine is Mrna, which tricks the body into creating antibodies. This is a false narrative that needs to stop being repeated as it is scaring people who dont want to put the virus in their body.

4.) The vaccine changes everything. We don't need 100% innoculation to diminish this disease to almost zero affect. COULD it mutate to where the current vaccination doesn't protect us, possibly. But lets get everyone vaccinated and see what happens.

I talked to my idiot brother last night and he doesn't want to get vaccinated because he thinks it causes temporary memory loss because he hear it from a guy who heard it from another guy. This stuff needs to stop and we need to stop spread disinformation. This rollout of getting the majority of people vaccinated in the next 6 months is extremely important to our every day lives.
It’s amazing how many people will ignore medical advice from doctors and scientists because they read a meme shared by a friend of a friend. And they still won’t change their mind when that made up info is debunked a week later :rolleyes:

Where are you guys located that you can’t get a haircut?
Technically you can, if they survived. If you want to risk it. Kentucky seems to have been hit later than a lot of places. Things opened up despite the surge, have to have business to generate tax revenue. That is one thing that really hasn't been brought to light. Accountants are going to have a field day with write-offs for years from this. That is going to cause a ripple effect.

Good points here Mac.
It's a crazy time.

LIke jcassio said, even with the vaccine, ppl can still transmit the virus. I worry that people with think "it's safe" after they get the shot.
I already got my first shot, and I'm glad it was the Pfizer.

There have been some non-peer reviewed studies that show a lot of variation to the antibodies produced from the various vaccines and their effectiveness to some of the variants, specifically the S. African variant. This worries me a lot, and this is why I don't see things returning to "normal" by the fall. There is just too much we don't know about the various variants, the various vaccines and the effectiveness or ineffectiveness when all these variables are considered.

For the virus being in the shot, I was referring to the flu shot, where the virus is killed and then injected. I guess I should have made the distinction more clear.