Kings fire Vance Walberg

Kingster

Hall of Famer
First, Vlade just cut Karl off at the knees by firing his assistant. That's a "good" first step in undermining Karl's authority, which reverses somewhat his move to reaffirm Karl as his head coach. I guess, then, Karl is a head coach without the power to hire and fire his own assistants. Oh my. Second, Vlade kind of sort of did what I suggested he do prior to his announcement supporting Karl as coach: Split the baby and make one of the assistants the Defensive Coach. Now what I didn't intend is for there to be a firing of an existing assistant coach and a hiring of a new assistant to take over those responsibilities.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
First, Vlade just cut Karl off at the knees by firing his assistant. That's a "good" first step in undermining Karl's authority, which reverses somewhat his move to reaffirm Karl as his head coach. I guess, then, Karl is a head coach without the power to hire and fire his own assistants. Oh my. Second, Vlade kind of sort of did what I suggested he do prior to his announcement supporting Karl as coach: Split the baby and make one of the assistants the Defensive Coach. Now what I didn't intend is for there to be a firing of an existing assistant coach and a hiring of a new assistant to take over those responsibilities.
Vlade showed Karl he's serious. And he also said Karl can replace Walberg. Vlade is the GM and he's asserting his authority. If Karl doesn't like it, too freaking bad.

Maybe this is setting up the eventual excuse to fire Karl if he doesn't change? Hearing that Karl is taking it hard just makes this whole thing seem like that much more of sinking ship.

This also sounds to me like no trades will be going down. As a result, in order to institute some kind of change an assistant gets the ax. I'm not so sure about the direction if that is the case.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Maybe this is setting up the eventual excuse to fire Karl if he doesn't change? Hearing that Karl is taking it hard just makes this whole thing seem like that much more of sinking ship.

This also sounds to me like no trades will be going down. As a result, in order to institute some kind of change an assistant gets the ax. I'm not so sure about the direction if that is the case.
I really think you're looking at it the wrong way. I see it as a indication by Vlade that he's serious about change, he's serious about getting a real focus on defense, and he's making it abundantly clear HE'S IN CHARGE.

Yeah. This tells me that Vlade wants to fire Karl but can't for whatever reason. Financial or otherwise. The only other option is to take away his power. Isolate him. Make him a figurehead.

#Kangz

I

Im Still Ballin

This is a Hall of Famer type move. Karl knows what he's doing. Trust in the man with the legendary resume. Trust in Vlade. Real recognize REAL.

Hall of famer, about to take the game to new heights.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
To me the timing of this is strange. If anything, the dismissal should have been done much earlier. If the plan is to replace the head coach once this season ends why dismiss the assistant coach now.
Because this particular assistant coach was the prime proponent of Karl's offense, including putting Boogie out at the perimeter. Karl promised Vlade he was going to make changes; Vlade is just holding the door. ;)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Ok:

1) shades of what they did to Hornacek -- sure, you can lame duck it, but we'll just fire your assistants out from under you

2) on the other hand Wahlberg was PRECISELY the assistant I have been pissed at all season long. He is Mr. Dribble Drive Offense. He could easily be why Cousins is standing out at the 3pt line. If so, good riddance and its actually a targeted and telling firing that maybe we are going to switch things up system-wise midseason, which is fairly aggressive and rarely attempted.

P.S. Mike Brown wouldn't really be my choice, but a defensive assistant that Karl would actually defer too would be another pretty remarkable move.
I hate to keep posting this, but it seems that people don't actually know how the dribble drive offense works. It was developed by Walburg because he had a shortage of big men with skills. In the dribble drive offense, the center or big man isn't out at the three pt line, he's planted firmly in the post near the basket as the cleanup man. The whole idea of the dribble drive is for the PG to penetrate into the lane, and see what develops as a result. If the man guarding your big comes up to stop you, then you pass to your big man under the basket and so on and so forth.. The idea is to keep rotating players with the ball into the lane until you break down the defense somewhere.

The fact that Cousins is out at the three pt line tells me that Karl is trying to appease Cousins. For example, Kentucky uses the dribble drive offense, and if you watched Cousins at Kentucky, he never left the post. So call Karl's offense whatever you want, but it's not the dribble drive offense.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hate to keep posting this, but it seems that people don't actually know how the dribble drive offense works. It was developed by Walburg because he had a shortage of big men with skills. In the dribble drive offense, the center or big man isn't out at the three pt line, he's planted firmly in the post near the basket as the cleanup man. The whole idea of the dribble drive is for the PG to penetrate into the lane, and see what develops as a result. If the man guarding your big comes up to stop you, then you pass to your big man under the basket and so on and so forth.. The idea is to keep rotating players with the ball into the lane until you break down the defense somewhere.

The fact that Cousins is out at the three pt line tells me that Karl is trying to appease Cousins. For example, Kentucky uses the dribble drive offense, and if you watched Cousins at Kentucky, he never left the post. So call Karl's offense whatever you want, but it's not the dribble drive offense.
Baja, I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Boogie isn't the center in the offensive sets, he's the four man. Koufos and Cauley-Stein are the bigs when they are in with Boogie.

I'd say Karl is running the Dribble Drive offense in the same way that Adelman was running the Princeton offense - with the general principles intact but significant modifications.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Vlade showed Karl he's serious. And he also said Karl can replace Walberg. Vlade is the GM and he's asserting his authority. If Karl doesn't like it, too freaking bad.
It's not about Karl. And it's not about Divac. It's about the team, and I don't see any intelligent argument that the undermining of Karl's authority is going to be good for this team going forward. Vlade just added to the cluster.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I really think you're looking at it the wrong way. I see it as a indication by Vlade that he's serious about change, he's serious about getting a real focus on defense, and he's making it abundantly clear HE'S IN CHARGE.
If this all about showing who is in charge, then it looks like there's an insecurity problem at the top.

Baja, I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Boogie isn't the center in the offensive sets, he's the four man. Koufos and Cauley-Stein are the bigs when they are in with Boogie.

I'd say Karl is running the Dribble Drive offense in the same way that Adelman was running the Princeton offense - with the general principles intact but significant modifications.
This is true. Boogie is playing the stretch 4.

Well, it helps if you actually have players than can dribble especially wing players. Right now I would rather have Cuz dribble against other bigs than our wing players against wings.