Kings ask about J.J Barea?

So we'll be the ones to overpay for Barea's role in the Finals. He's a nice player, but not worth too much money (which I fear may happen).

Hopefully this is just Petrie calling every agent to survey the market. I have little to no interest overpaying for his playoff run, and have no idea how he'd fit assuming Thornton is re-signed.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
You have to remember that our owners' latest childish enthusiasm was Barea in the Finals. Some ridiculous quote from them about realizing that what it took to win titles was shooting or somethign after they in typical fashion got overexcited watching the playoffs. Now could we be interested? Sure. But you almost have to consider such interest as Thornton backup. In Dallas Barea and Terry came off the bench behind Kidd and Stevensen who averaged 15pts between them. In Sacramento the starting guars coould avergae 40pts between them. Then there's Jimmer, who again was a Maloof crush. So there jsut is no room if that crew is all back. Our interest could be just touching base, it could be strategic in making Dallas nervous enough to wonder if they can afford Chandler, it could be Petrie jsut going through the motions to appease the kids in the owners' box, or it could be insurance in case we somehow whiff on Thornton. Waht doesn't make sense is for it to be interest in Barea on top of Reke/Thronton/Jimmer/Salmons/Cisco. How would he ever get minutes or shots in that situation? Wildly different team setup from Dallas.

And then there's Barea's wife (wow!), Miss Universe 2006 from his home island of Puerto Rico. I think she's actually taller than him - definitely when strutting in her heels!

Attachments

Glenn

Hall of Famer
No, no, no, no, no! A lot of players have become the player of the day and pulled down nice contracts yet resume to normal. And ignoring that, why exactly do we need to improve our guards? We have an interesting guy in Reke, we have Thornton who I suspect I have far more faith in that most people here, we have Jimmer who will add something and we have guys who can slide to the 2 position in Cisco and Salmons. Thomas is there for spot minutes and emergencies - an upgrade from Pooh, I suspect.

I'm not even sure where Barea and his contract would fit. He was great. I will grant that. Is he better than Jimmer or Thornton? I don't think that can be answered as they are largely unknowns but appear to have large upsides.

I may be the only one here that feels this way, but I think Reke and Thornton can be scary on the offensive side as they compliment each other nicely. There is the hidden truth that I think Thornton is greatful to be playing and will not be bothered at Reke's present ball dominant style. Defensively, at the least they are physically strong and at the most with more experience, might be darn good considering their value is primarily on the offensive end. These two fit with what we have and at some point you have to look at the rest of the players in an 8-9 man rotation.

I am not going to detail what I see (I'll leave that to Brick) but this is a real TEAM.

Given a great coach, it would NOT be a 6-8th seed but better. Am I a homer? I don't think so when I say this. Give them a couple years together and simply for the sake of exprience in the NBA and I will be disappointed if they settle for 6-8th.

Last edited:

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
With all due respect to JJ and his beautiful wife, he doesn't fit with our current roster. We can get more bang for our buck elsewhere, with out overcrowding the the same backcourt we just opened room for.

When you have 25 million in cap space to spend, the names JJ Barea and Chuck Hayes are not the names I want to hear sucking up some of that money.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Well Thornton is attracting serious interest from 4 teams including NO according to Sam Amick.
The crazy thing is that he never got any PT in New Orleans. Now they like him?

I'm not terribly worried about it. Unless somebody wants to throw $7M+ per year at him, I think we'll likely match.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
The crazy thing is that he never got any PT in New Orleans. Now they like him?

I'm not terribly worried about it. Unless somebody wants to throw $7M+ per year at him, I think we'll likely match.
Agreed with this and nebs. Unless someone throws stupid $$$ his way, we are not going to let him go.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I'm not sure why people think we are going to let him go at ANY remotely rational price outside of what seems like a fanbase-wide case of sudden amnesia regarding this player.

Just as a refresher this is a player who came to the Kings in a midseason trade and proceeded to average 21.3pts 4.7rebs 3.4ast 1.7stl in 38.1min a night for the remainder of the season. That was not done in college. Not for another team, not years ago. Last season, right here, with us. And as a reward for that production he gets to hear that he is going to be benched for a rookie 10th pick in a weak draft, that he'd be a good 6th man, that maybe we can sign him for the MLE, and that despite having the most caproom in the entire league if anybody offers him more than $7 mil a year, well, too rich for our blood.

I'm not sure why people think we are going to let him go at ANY remotely rational price outside of what seems like a fanbase-wide case of sudden amnesia regarding this player.

Just as a refresher this is a player who came to the Kings in a midseason trade and proceeded to average 21.3pts 4.7rebs 3.4ast 1.7stl in 38.1min a night for the remainder of the season. That was not done in college. Not for another team, not years ago. Last season, right here, with us. And as a reward for that production he gets to hear that he is going to be benched for a rookie 10th pick in a weak draft, that he'd be a good 6th man, that maybe we can sign him for the MLE, and that despite having the most caproom in the entire league if anybody offers him more than $7 mil a year, well, too rich for our blood.
Word!

I am not worried about losing Thornton....I think we will match any offer for him provided its not something ridiculous like a max contract (highly unlikely).

Personally, I am more worried about losing Dalembert, not because we can't match but because we might not want to. All this talk about serious interest and multi year deal with Hayes has me extremely worried. I will be seriously pissed off if we lose Dalembert and replace him with Hayes. That would be a monumental **** up on our part.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I like the move - A LOT. Anyone who thinks this is just about "the finals" wasn't watching the preceeding playoff games. He was a difference maker throughout the entire playoffs.

I like the move - A LOT. Anyone who thinks this is just about "the finals" wasn't watching the preceeding playoff games. He was a difference maker throughout the entire playoffs.

Yup...I think he would bring a lot of the same energy Bobby Jackson brought when we got him, which we can definitely use...I'm all for bringing him in.

True. I would understand trying to get him if it weren't for the fact the Kings already have three young guards to find playing time for. I just don't see how they're going find ample PT for four guards.