KING DEMAR

Makes more sense. Thanks!

I’m honestly not in love with the move…at least not yet. I’d like it more if we followed it up for a 3&D starting PF allowing DeRozan to come off the bench, but I thought I saw that there are incentives in DeRozan’s contract if he makes an all star team. That very likely means he’s not going to accept that type of role on our team and is going to expect/demand to start. It’s going to be really interesting to see how a Fox-DeRozan-Sabonis lineup works offensively. Two of those three “stars” aren’t good floor spacers and two of those three “stars” aren’t defenders.

The 2031 pick swap is not ideal but it is a “pick swap” and not a “pick” so there’s that. However, even with sending out this pick swap, McNair has set himself up to be in a position where he can trade 4 1sts next offseason (assuming our 2025 pick conveys to ATL).

We’ll have to see how it plays out on the court but the cost to take this swing is relatively low compared to trading for someone like Markkanen, Ingram, etc. so we’re not “stuck” or “all in.” If it doesn’t work out, we have options.
This is crazy.....how can you not love the move. We just traded HB for a potential Hall of Famer, who is still playing in his prime. Come off the bench??? No chance, incentives or not.

I don’t quite understand the “all star incentive” thing since in my opinion it incentives DeRozan to jack up more shots if anything. Should have been some incentive tied to team success. For Kings to be effective when everyone healthy I’d like to see this scoring distribution:

Fox 22-26 p
DeRozan 18-20
Murray 16-18
Monk 14-16
Sabonis 14-16

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer

I’m honestly not in love with the move…at least not yet. I’d like it more if we followed it up for a 3&D starting PF allowing DeRozan to come off the bench, but I thought I saw that there are incentives in DeRozan’s contract if he makes an all star team. That very likely means he’s not going to accept that type of role on our team and is going to expect/demand to start. It’s going to be really interesting to see how a Fox-DeRozan-Sabonis lineup works offensively. Two of those three “stars” aren’t good floor spacers and two of those three “stars” aren’t defenders.

The 2031 pick swap is not ideal but it is a “pick swap” and not a “pick” so there’s that. However, even with sending out this pick swap, McNair has set himself up to be in a position where he can trade 4 1sts next offseason (assuming our 2025 pick conveys to ATL).

We’ll have to see how it plays out on the court but the cost to take this swing is relatively low compared to trading for someone like Markkanen, Ingram, etc. so we’re not “stuck” or “all in.” If it doesn’t work out, we have options.
Yeah, no way did they get DeRozan to sign and then have him come off the bench. I really do think this means more of Browns desired guard ball. Demar has mostly played 3/4 with the Bulls for a few seasons now. Now hopefully Monte can find a taker for Huerter.

I honestly don't care about the fit (go figure), considering the cost it took to get him. Now, if DDR cost us the Ingram or Lauri package? Uh oh, then you start to worry about the short and long-term of fitting DDR in with Domas and Fox. But man, we really just gave up HB for DDR and just little ankle-biter assets. A pick swap 7 years from now is not a premium asset, lol

What sells me is DDR is a great and willing passer. Those dudes are just never all that hard to fit in with others and he gives us another offensive hub to run the offense through. So now, instead of staggering Fox and Domas, you can add DDR to the mix.

Us not sending Huerter very much tells me another deal is coming down the pipeline.

I don’t quite understand the “all star incentive” thing since in my opinion it incentives DeRozan to jack up more shots if anything. Should have been some incentive tied to team success. For Kings to be effective when everyone healthy I’d like to see this scoring distribution:

Fox 22-26 p
DeRozan 18-20
Murray 16-18
Monk 14-16
Sabonis 14-16
Yeah, whoever was making those types of incentives deals is clearly still with the Kings, lol. Although, a player like DeRozan is likely making an All Star team based on team success anyway.

Even if DeRozan has a dropoff in production, he is miles ahead of what Barnes provides. Keegan can focus on defense and sniping threes, and who better to learn creating offense from.
I'm wondering what the initial closing lineup will look like. Unless Monk is hot, I think you have to go with Keon's defense

I honestly don't care about the fit (go figure), considering the cost it took to get him. Now, if DDR cost us the Ingram or Lauri package? Uh oh, then you start to worry about the short and long-term of fitting DDR in with Domas and Fox. But man, we really just gave up HB for DDR and just little ankle-biter assets. A pick swap 7 years from now is not a premium asset, lol

What sells me is DDR is a great and willing passer. Those dudes are just never all that hard to fit in with others and he gives us another offensive hub to run the offense through. So now, instead of staggering Fox and Domas, you can add DDR to the mix.

Us not sending Huerter very much tells me another deal is coming down the pipeline.
Yeah I never said I didn’t like the move. I just said that I’m not in love with it, and it comes down to that question of fit (as you mentioned yourself).

But like I mentioned in my post, this is a low risk swing by McNair as he kept Murray, Ellis, and Carter but will also be able to trade 4 1sts next offseason (assuming we don’t finish bottom 12). If DeRozan does not end up being a good fit, we have flexibility to shuffle the deck again. If DeRozan does end up being a good fit, you just added a solid core piece for relatively cheap.

I think we both can recognize that this team still has weaknesses that we’re hoping Monte addresses, but I think we would also both agree that we like this low risk swing that Monte just made (even if we’re both unsure if the fit will be good enough for it to work long term).

As much as I don’t love the fit, I’m 100% for trying something new. He’s been playing high level basketball despite his age… and he actually chose to come here. Welcome DeMar!

The Kings ran it back last season, and it didnt pan out well, so now the pendulum swing.....this is a medium reset. Its a good job trade wise of doing goldilocks type change.

Yeah I never said I didn’t like the move. I just said that I’m not in love with it, and it comes down to that question of fit (as you mentioned yourself).

But like I mentioned in my post, this is a low risk swing by McNair as he kept Murray, Ellis, and Carter but will also be able to trade 4 1sts next offseason (assuming we don’t finish bottom 12). If DeRozan does not end up being a good fit, we have flexibility to shuffle the deck again. If DeRozan does end up being a good fit, you just added a solid core piece for relatively cheap.

I think we both can recognize that this team still has weaknesses that we’re hoping Monte addresses, but I think we would also both agree that we like this low risk swing that Monte just made (even if we’re both unsure if the fit will be good enough for it to work long term).
Yeah, I think what this ultimately does is ups the Kings "talent threshold" to really start to line up with the OKC/Mavs/Wolves etc in the West. Are we there yet? No. Are we a perfectly constructed roster yet? Nope. But I think you throw in a DDR for just the cost of a declining HB, that starts to really close that gap.

I just like the theory of making a "win now" move, without sacrificing the future too. That's the perfect way to go about it and leaves your options open if we need to pivot. Or just go keep adding.

In terms of overall needs for this team... it's starting to get pretty small. Basically a "better' back-up C and a wing 3 and D spacer? What other holes does this squad have now?

Out of curiosity, for you:

This deal as is.

Or Huerter+HB+2 FRP for Grant?

The Bulls are the big losers here. The Spurs get a super useful player for free when they were below the salary floor (and would have been even if they kept Graham). They HAD to spend and they walk away with a pick swap. Crazy. Feel like Chicago would have been better off taking KVon and Duarte and say 5 seconds. Duarte would have come off the books at the end of next season and they could have rebuilt Kevin’s value.

If you set aside circumstance we traded HB, 2 seconds and a pick swap for a guy playing at an all star level. Thats incredible value.
That would have put them over the tax line, they want to stay below it.

Kings just got way better at putting pressure on the rim, creating shots in the clutch and finishing on the break. This isn’t a move that gives the Kings everything they need - but it’s a brave step forward that doesn’t mess with the core or the timeline. And now the Kings have way more swag.
I can just imagine in last two minutes with DDR, Fox and Monk coming out of a time out and defense has to figure out who they’re going to stop

The biggest box that Monte needed to,check off this off-season was getting another guy who can create and score…that was priority over a 3 and D wing although, we do need to get another 3 and D wing with good length. The other priority was getting players who had some dawg in them. Derozan and Carter both check the boxes. This is a grand slam move by Monte
Really shows why he didn't trade the pick just for the sake of doing so, too. Kinda feels like they knew they could and would get DeRozan

dude12

Hall of Famer
Really shows why he didn't trade the pick just for the sake of doing so, too. Kinda feels like they knew they could and would get DeRozan
Yeah, I’d like to see Monte keep the pick…..he’s good at drafting. Try and use Huerter and maybe a Colby Jones to go get the last 3 and D piece

I'm wondering what the initial closing lineup will look like. Unless Monk is hot, I think you have to go with Keon's defense
Brown is going back in time a bit this next season to the 2022-2023 team - he's going to have to experiment with lineups, tentdancies, and permutations. I think the Kings are gonna be running some serious screen actions for Derozan. Len may get more minutes with Derozan as the best screener on the team.

DDR didn't do much when he went to SAS. They picked up +1 wins from the season before. Chicago on the other hand was great in his first year but year 2 and 3 at Chicago were uneventful..

I hope this isn't one of those big name moves that screwed up the spacing, meanwhile not helping the team he went to, I.E. The Kings!

DDR didn't do much when he went to SAS. They picked up +1 wins from the season before. Chicago on the other hand was great in his first year but year 2 and 3 at Chicago were uneventful..

I hope this isn't one of those big name moves that screwed up the spacing, meanwhile not helping the team he went to, I.E. The Kings!
Even in a worst case it's a relatively low risk gamble that leaves Monte with pieces to move forward with to alter as he goes on. Monte is looking at this next window being a 2-3 one for sure. Come 2026 what the Kings are at that point will depend on what they've done. Could be a great, or full rebuild at that point.