Keegan Murray

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I was listening to C-Dave after the draft and he was telling a story about the pre-draft rally I thought was interesting. He went into it thinking everyone wanted Ivey based off social media. He said to the crowd “who wants Ivey?” A decent amount clapped and cheered. “Who wants Keegan Murray?” Crowd went nuts. The moral of the story is social media often doesn’t represent consensus on anything ranging from politics to sports.
This board doesn't necessarily represent consensus either. I was just seeing a ton of nasties come out after the Celtics game and it bummed me out. He doesn't deserve it.

I know the bar is set low for Murray currently with his struggles, but I thought he did well getting easy baskets near the rim tonight instead of settling for threes.

This board doesn't necessarily represent consensus either. I was just seeing a ton of nasties come out after the Celtics game and it bummed me out. He doesn't deserve it.
HE def deserves every bit of his criticism for missed open 3s and blocked layups. The blocked layup attempts being the most disheartening. He's 3 will come back for sure. But his driving to the lane is down right terrible. How can we fix that? And don't talk about his handles. Again please stop talking about this grown man as If he's a toddler goin to school for first time. He earned 4th overall now he has to play like he's getting paid for it.

For the love of basketball stop this madness. He will get better I believe so. But right now he's killing my fav team and that is unacceptable.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I really think we’ve got to consider drafting his twin next year….
I’ve been on the draft Kris train since like last May when it looked like he was going to be available in the second round before he pulled out of the draft. Only actual issue at this point may be our pick being too late in the first round to grab him.

I’ve been on the draft Kris train since like last May when it looked like he was going to be available in the second round before he pulled out of the draft. Only actual issue at this point may be our pick being too late in the first round to grab him.
I'm not expecting Keegan to continue his struggles, but his play on the court is 100% going to have an impact on Kris' draft stock. It's unfair, but they are identical players with similar strengths and weaknesses...but Keegan was the better prospect imo. Kris will also be a year older by the time he's drafted.

I think Kris will probably go anywhere between 14-25? This looks like another good overall draft with a bunch of talented freshmen. Lot of these bottom feeder teams will probably go for youth + potential over ready-now results.

I'm not expecting Keegan to continue his struggles, but his play on the court is 100% going to have an impact on Kris' draft stock. It's unfair, but they are identical players with similar strengths and weaknesses...but Keegan was the better prospect imo. Kris will also be a year older by the time he's drafted.

I think Kris will probably go anywhere between 14-25? This looks like another good overall draft with a bunch of talented freshmen. Lot of these bottom feeder teams will probably go for youth + potential over ready-now results.
Yep, no doubt it will. This could work out perfectly, push him right into the Kings range! haha.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I'd really been thinking the same. If Keegan somehow gets back into ROY contention, Kris is a mid lottery pick, if Keegan struggles but he keeps posting obscene numbers he's probably 15-20 range unless Iowa makes a deep tourney run on his back.

I wonder if the slump will end up being a blessing in disguise for Keegan. To reach his ceiling, the three point shot has to be part of the equation but he is going to have to find other ways to impact the game. I think he can be a plus defender but he has a lot to clean up there and we have the right coach (Brown and Doug) to help with that. He can be a plus cutter thanks to feel and IQ but he needs to drive hard and search contact like Barnes and Mathurin.

If you break down where his points come from I’d like to see him shoot for
60% from 3
20% from cuts and the occasionional post up
20% from the line

Quick decisive passes is another point of
Emphasis.

get back to being a 40% three point shooter with consistent plus defense by the time he is up for a contract and you are looking at a 100 mil + deal.

gunks

Hall of Famer
This quote is gold.

Not a laugh or a smile, an expression!

Anyhow, I have confidence he'll turn it around. It really helps that we have an actual coach now. I'd be a bit sketched if we had to rely on Luke (or any of the other hacks we've had in the past fifteen years) to help Keegan find his place in the NBA.

It would do a lot for fan morale if he could drop a 20 piece soon!

Random prediction....

The Indiana Pacers take Kris Murray. They are going to have (3) first round picks in that draft

dude12

Hall of Famer
The thing Keegan has to learn when he drives to the basket is that he keeps going at one speed and the defense is timing it and blocking it. He’s got several guys on his team who, with years under their belt have learned that if you can Euro-step it a bit or throw their tim8mg off on drives you will have success. HB is great at it, Fox has learned this in the last few years. I’m confident he will learn.

The thing Keegan has to learn when he drives to the basket is that he keeps going at one speed and the defense is timing it and blocking it. He’s got several guys on his team who, with years under their belt have learned that if you can Euro-step it a bit or throw their tim8mg off on drives you will have success. HB is great at it, Fox has learned this in the last few years. I’m confident he will learn.
Yeah he no longer has the physical advantage that he had in college and needs to adapt. Hopefully he can. He's had first year struggles at every step and has overcame them so hopefully he is able to do it for the final time.

The question about taking someone a little more advanced is how much is he going to grow as a slasher or ball handler? The first step is what it is. That's not going to improve but his size can be much better utilized. Usually if you don't have playmaking skills at this stage of development it's not going to get much better. He actually does look more solid handling wise after this last offseason. His move is still the drop step. Like I brought up before, Elton Brand had a very similar move and he was a solid 20 piece a night for awhile. Keegan finally got to pull it off in the game the other night and it was natural.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I know the announcers made a big deal about it, but his off-ball defense today was impactful. It looks like he’s figuring it out/processing. He grabbed some nice boards today as well. When it all clicks for him, this team is going to be bonkers.
Keegan is also in the awesome position of having a good coach.

Imagine what kind of guidance he'd get under Luke?

"Uh.... keep shooting 3s, I guess?"