Keegan Murray

One day (very soon) the Keegan Murray as a 4/3 version of Harrison Barnes is going to be used as a compliment where it was once used as a detriment.

Screenshot_20221010_182341.jpg
Mark my words.

A couple thoughts here.

A) if Murray keeps shooting defenders are going to have to close out hard and it will open up the ability to drive.

B) he is still a rookie who has a tremendous shot. My guess is he will learn from Barnes who has similar athletic talents.
I think they'll put a smaller player on him and force him to take the player inside. Smaller player to crowd him as he comes off screens.

Regardless, offensively, the key is Domas. So far, the ball movement looks promising. They're making a concerted effort to find the corner wing from the high post.

While I agree Domas as the primary facilitator is optimal that also means you're betting on Fox hitting his threes. 5 years in this league and he hasn't been able to do so--until proven otherwise.

I think they'll put a smaller player on him and force him to take the player inside. Smaller player to crowd him as he comes off screens.

Regardless, offensively, the key is Domas. So far, the ball movement looks promising. They're making a concerted effort to find the corner wing from the high post.

While I agree Domas as the primary facilitator is optimal that also means you're betting on Fox hitting his threes. 5 years in this league and he hasn't been able to do so--until proven otherwise.
I'm pretty sure the coaching staff knows not to use Fox as a spot up player. He also has the option to cut.

You should check out Collins and Kuz's statline from last year.
Keegan ceiling tops out higher than either Kuz or John Collins based on the obvious eye test.

Based on his redundant and boringly consistent efficiency and production, Murray will top out as a 25-27 ppg scorer. He will boringly, redundantly, and consistently shoot a higher percentage on more volume from 3 than those other 2. And he will do it with the most boring demeanor ever, meaning you don't have to worry about him off the court spitting game at Kardashians (Kuz).

I honestly don't know who to compare Keegan with, maybe take Bernard King and stretch his range out to 24 feet? Bernard was a crafty scorer and something I think Keegan would be from that Era because Keegan is an old soul.

Regardless, I know you think I am jumping the gun, but I have seen enough at this point.

Keegan is going to be great no matter where they put him or when they put him there. He has a great IQ, great poise and confidence, great shot, great awareness, and a great motor. With the potential to be elite in those categories.

That is his ceiling. And I will take that from my 4/3 number 4 pick for the next 15 years and retire him a great ceremony with a ring to hopefully show for it. He has THAT potential.

Last edited:
Keegan ceiling tops out higher than either Kuz or John Collins based on the obvious eye test.

Based on his redundant and boringly consistent efficiency and production, Murray will top out as a 25-27 ppg scorer. He will boringly, redundantly, and consistently shoot a higher percentage on more volume from 3 than those other 2. And he will do it with the most boring demeanor ever, meaning you don't have to worry about him off the court spitting game at Kardashians (Kuz).

I honestly don't know who to compare Keegan with, maybe take Bernard King and stretch his range out to 24 feet? Bernard was a crafty scorer and something I think Keegan would be from that Era because Keegan is an old soul.

Regardless, I know you think I am jumping the gun, but I have seen enough at this point.

Keegan is going to be great no matter where they put him or when they put him there. He has a great IQ, great poise and confidence, great shot, great awareness, and a great motor. With the potential to be elite in those categories.

That is his ceiling. And I will take that from my 4/3 number 4 pick for the next 15 years and retire him a great ceremony with a ring to hopefully show for it. He has THAT potential.
Larry Bird?

Unless they use Fox as a down screener so that Keegan can shoot off the screen.

What the hell is happening in this thread? One guy is saying he’ll be lucky to be Kuzma and the other is comparing him to Larry Legend. LOL

It’s like current politics, we only proclaim the extremes!!
I know, right?
However, I want to be the first to proclaim that Keegan, within 5 years, will be the first NBA player to make 100% of his 3-pt shots.
Mark my words!

What the hell is happening in this thread? One guy is saying he’ll be lucky to be Kuzma and the other is comparing him to Larry Legend. LOL

It’s like current politics, we only proclaim the extremes!!
A range is fine, but Larry Bird is kinda, just so lolzzz. He'll end up being somewhere in between, a 4/3 version, more perimeter version of Harrison Barnes.

Unless they use Fox as a down screener so that Keegan can shoot off the screen.
I can see that. It'll be on the left side of the court, if happens. Though, Fox tends to curl and pop from the left side, so his only option, if Domas gets him the ball is to dive post screen.

I can see that. It'll be on the left side of the court, if happens. Though, Fox tends to curl and pop from the left side, so his only option, if Domas gets him the ball is to dive post screen.
Which he is quite good at finishing

I can see a whole range of plays where Domas passes and Fox screens and where Fox passes and Domas screens.

I’m sure a staggered screen for Keegan/Huerter with Domas rolling and Barnes flaring to 3 is being worked. Keegan really fits this team like a hand in a glove.

For the first time in a long time I don’t think the team fit is a disaster.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Matt George said Keegan is out against Phoenix with a non Covid illness. Sucks
Yes and no. He's shown enough and unless he was going to start the game (and it seems like Okpala will still be the nominal starter with Fox, Huerter, Barnes, and Sabonis) then we weren't going to learn anything new. Not playing avoids any chance of injury and opens up minutes for the guys the team still needs to evaluate.

I'd be surprised if any of the starters play big minutes in the Phoenix game and even less for the final preseason game for the same reason - to keep guys healthy/avoid injury and help decide on final roster moves.

A range is fine, but Larry Bird is kinda, just so lolzzz. He'll end up being somewhere in between, a 4/3 version, more perimeter version of Harrison Barnes.
From the games I’ve seen him play, seems to be more of tall Klay Thompson if his defense measure up to it. He has quick release and high basketball IQ and good off ball movement. Klay couldn’t create much for himself either but was excellent defender so will see if Murray will get there in that regards

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Oh boy…we are so jaded as a fan base.
We have 6 guys competing for 3 spots and most people on this forum are lamenting that we traded excess 2nd round picks, so I do think that evaluating the other players is a key priority if you're considering keeping a vet over a younger guy (which it seems we are).

That said, pretty sure Keegs is sick. Holmes had something, non-covid bugs are still frequently contagious.

We have 6 guys competing for 3 spots and most people on this forum are lamenting that we traded excess 2nd round picks, so I do think that evaluating the other players is a key priority if you're considering keeping a vet over a younger guy (which it seems we are).

That said, pretty sure Keegs is sick. Holmes had something, non-covid bugs are still frequently contagious.
There is zero reason AND zero reason to believe, that this current coaching staff would use a fake illness to keep a young player out of a game. If they want to see other people, they would just say "hey, we want to see these other people" this is not some alex jones conspiracy theory here.

Whaaaaat? People still get other illnesses.