Justin Jackson

From Zach Lowe's article:​

9. Justin Jackson, floating
Unless the Sacramento Kings get The Guy in this draft -- and they've hurt their chances with a few recent loss-wins -- they will need someone among the De'Aaron Fox/Buddy Hield/Willie Cauley-Stein/Bogdan Bogdanovic/Skal Labissiere group to really pop over the next three or four years. They are each on vaguely encouraging trajectories, but it's a long way from adding up to anything meaningful.

It's easy to forget about Justin Jackson. He's 23, without the same hoppy athleticism as some of those guys. He fell out of the rotation for stretches after opening the season as a starter.

But over the past two months, he has emerged as worth watching, and that alone is a win for the Kings. He's 17-of-45 from deep in March, keeping alive the possibility that he might grow into an average 3-point shooter. He moves well on defense, and tries hard.
He's also got a nifty floater -- a key weapon for guys who can't power through behemoths at the rim:

That's awkward, but it works for Jackson. He has taken a ton of floater-range shots, and made 44 percent of them, per Cleaning The Glass -- a tidy mark. You can't build an offense around 44 percent 2-pointers, but it's a nice break-in-case-of-shot-clock-emergency tool.

Last edited by a moderator:
From Zach Lowe's article:

It's easy to forget about Justin Jackson. He's 23, without the same hoppy athleticism as some of those guys. He fell out of the rotation for stretches after opening the season as a starter.

But over the past two months, he has emerged as worth watching, and that alone is a win for the Kings. He's 17-of-45 from deep in March, keeping alive the possibility that he might grow into an average 3-point shooter. He moves well on defense, and tries hard.
He's also got a nifty floater -- a key weapon for guys who can't power through behemoths at the rim:

That's awkward, but it works for Jackson. He has taken a ton of floater-range shots, and made 44 percent of them, per Cleaning The Glass -- a tidy mark. You can't build an offense around 44 percent 2-pointers, but it's a nice break-in-case-of-shot-clock-emergency tool.
That shooting percentage for Jackson is very good and should be a sign of things to come. He started off shooting the 3 very slow at UNC as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
From Zach Lowe's article:

Unless the Sacramento Kings get The Guy in this draft -- and they've hurt their chances with a few recent loss-wins -- they will need someone among the De'Aaron Fox/Buddy Hield/Willie Cauley-Stein/Bogdan Bogdanovic/Skal Labissiere group to really pop over the next three or four years. They are each on vaguely encouraging trajectories, but it's a long way from adding up to anything meaningful.
Agree with the sentiments, this draft is big for us. We have a good core but we need a star. Giles is our wildcard but we cant let ourselves sit here without him having played a meaningful minute.

Agree with the sentiments, this draft is big for us. We have a good core but we need a star. Giles is our wildcard but we cant let ourselves sit here without him having played a meaningful minute.
I'm personally worried about the core. Bogie and Hield are the only guys I'd consider to be "playoff players" meaning guys that can help you get to the playoffs. Koufos is another one but I'm not sure if he will be around in 3 years. I think Hield is going to be really good in a year or two. He's never going to be a top level guy because he can't dribble or get to the line at all but he's going to be Sacramento's version of a top scorer because that step back and jab step are becoming lethal. I'm actually pretty damn excited about Buddy right now because you can tell he's putting in some serious work and not just on offense. He will never be a top defender but I can't complain about his defense at all because he puts in the effort.

To me, Mason is a fringe backup PG. I think he has a slightly higher chance of becoming a backup than he does an end of bench guy but I don't think he has much more than that to him. Same with Justin Jackson. Fox scares me at the moment. People think he has tired legs but I think he just doesn't know how to play basketball in the half court. He uses a screen and then just picks up his dribble and turns and passes the ball. Bogie and Mason keep their dribble and try to make things happen. Compound that with his bad shot and he has a ton of work to do to even become average. He's basically a shooting guard that can't shoot right now. So he's just a guard. Except he can't guard anyone either. Not sure what that makes him at the moment but it's not good.

I'm really hoping that Porter drops to us. I think Bamba, JJJ and Carter are good additions to a solid core but I don't know if the Kings have that solid core yet. If they don't, those guys will probably have a much more minimal impact on winning due to there not being a real go to guy on the Kings. Porter has that kind of ceiling but he's a huge risk. Giles is the same way. We can't rely on him but we might be coming up on a time where we have to if some of these guys don't separate themselves from the rest of the league.

Jackson got better every year at UNC and I think he will do the same in the pro's. To me he looks like a well rounded wing with shades of T. Prince and his defense is coming around nicely in part do to his ability to contest shots and be a smart team defender. He's going to be a good player.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
From Zach Lowe's article:​

MOD VOICE: Please remember to include a link back to the site of origin when you're quoting PART of an article. Thanks. (I added it this time.)

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
he needs to live, sleep and eat in the gym...he really needs to pack on some serious muscle, he is nothing but stick and height...I look at Skal over the season and he's grown bigger, Buddy too. They've put in some significant time in the weight room and Justin needs to follow suite.

The_Jamal

Hall of Famer
I think JJ would be in the running for most improved player during the season for the Kings. Dude just looked straight up lost when he was getting some November minutes and it's been encouraging to start to see him develop his game and use some of those really nice tools he has.

Getting the 3-Ball to an above-average mark is far and away the most important attribute he needs to bring. Playing next to Fox/Bogdan/Buddy, he needs to be able to take advantage of the open looks he's going to get every game. Can't have a 31% 3pt shooter as a starter at the 3 with Fox as our "franchise player".

I think JJ would be in the running for most improved player during the season for the Kings. Dude just looked straight up lost when he was getting some November minutes and it's been encouraging to start to see him develop his game and use some of those really nice tools he has.

Getting the 3-Ball to an above-average mark is far and away the most important attribute he needs to bring. Playing next to Fox/Bogdan/Buddy, he needs to be able to take advantage of the open looks he's going to get every game. Can't have a 31% 3pt shooter as a starter at the 3 with Fox as our "franchise player".
I think he’ll be a very good bench player but if he starts hitting at s 37-38% from 3 a good starter. But having Buddy/JJ off the bench will make our bench unite very strong.

I'd have to argue that the award goes to Hield. He's averaging close to 20ppg the past 10 or so IIRC, with improved defense and playmaking. JJ still hasn't shown much consistency

His confidence is up. Jackson runs the floor and plays defense. He is a good rebounder. His floaters are very effective in the NBA and he has good shooting range. I like some of his cuts without the ball. I hope he becomes a little more aggressive on offense, but that will happen over time. He could use some more time in the weight room over the summer. He could be the most improved player on the team.

Last edited: