Jones on importance of getting this pick right

And if you were as good at doing it as you make it sound, you would be working for an NBA team now and not arguing about the merits of prospects on the draft boards.

I am amazed how much people rate their ability to assess talent year in year out. People were smashing Tatum this time last year. Now they are aying player A is a stud adn player B is a bust. Fact is no one here does not have anywhere near the scouting info as much as NBA teams to make that call.
Obviously there is no fool proof way to go about it but it astounds me at the amount of money these people get paid to draft failure after failure. StR had an article showing who the Kings would have drafted if they had just gone with the fans votes on their website and they would have been a playoff team by now if they had done zero homework and just picked whoever the fans voted for each year.

GM's can learn from their past successes and failures just like anyone else. It's a big reason why I like some stability at that position rather than running out and looking for the next big thing everytime a draft pick disappoints. This is vlade's fourth draft now, he's not the same gm he was two years ago or even last year. He has some more experience now. Doesn't mean he'll get it right but I think it gives him a better chance.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Well we agree on most things except one. Drafting for a safe pick gets you mediocrity. We should be looking at who is good now but could be best from this draft in 5 years time.

I am comfortable with either Bagley or Dončić. Evaluate their talent now, their work ethic, mental make up and scope for improvement. There is obvious risk with every player. Who you draft depends on the risk appetite of the franchise. Kings are in no position to be stupid risk takers but they are also not exactly in position to go for safe as houses pick either. There needs to be some risk taken to try and hit a home run but not pick who is going to be a very good player but never the best player on the team.

Kings need to draft a perennial all-star not a good solid contibutor. Those don’t get you far. Its a stars league whether people like it or not.
I never said to take a safe pick. I said take BPA. My point was to stop throwing “franchise” labels on everyone.

I'll trust the people who have inside knowledge of these prospects over us who are youtube looking at highlights. smh
PS we did get Bogie and skal in that trade CORRECT? hmmmm.... Bogie/skal>>>>>>>>Marquiss Chriss
Bogie is 25 years old while Marquiss Chriss is 20. I think you might give it another couple of minutes before you say "See he was a Bust and Valde is the greatest GM. I seem to remember a trade of what now has become next year's first round pick for salary cap room to sign who..Rondo?

who said Chriss is a bust? He's a Sacramento boy and i wanted him. But Skal and him are about even IMO and bogie is a legit starter in this league. You have your opinion that's fine but I'm very confident we won that trade and if we would have drafted Skal at 13 and papa at 27 this wouldn't even be a topic of discussion.

Bogie is 25 years old while Marquiss Chriss is 20. I think you might give it another couple of minutes before you say "See he was a Bust and Valde is the greatest GM. I seem to remember a trade of what now has become next year's first round pick for salary cap room to sign who..Rondo?
Age doesn’t always matter. Marquiss looks awful

The "importance of getting this pick right". Hahah. That's rich.

I sure hope these rumors of the Bagley selection being heavily influenced by having De'Aaron Fox on the roster (who I lobbied for last draft) and/or because that's who Vivek preferred are false. If true, things are far worse than I feared.

Regardless, Vlade doesn't have the track record to suggest that he should be given the benefit of the doubt on this decision. On the other hand, Mark Cuban and the Mavs -- who have a winning tradition and have a title under their belt -- have much more credibility. And they traded up to capitalize on Luka slipping past the Kings. I wonder why they did that.

Just as I type this, the Kings add another SG -- rather than a SF -- and another player from DUKE and another player that doesn't play much defense.

Someone needs to clue the Kings front office that they're allowed to take players that don't come from Duke, UNC, Kansas or Kentucky and that have shown the capability to play defense.

The talented SF from Ohio State named Keita Bates-Diop would have been a nice pick.

**EDIT** Nevermind. Apparently they're stock piling valuable 2nd round picks now instead.

Good. Great. Wonderful. Grand.

Just as I type this, the Kings add another SG -- rather than a SF -- and another player from DUKE and another player that doesn't play much defense.

Someone needs to clue the Kings front office that they're allowed to take players that don't come from Duke, UNC, Kansas or Kentucky and that have shown the capability to play defense.

The talented SF from Ohio State named Keita Bates-Diop would have been a nice pick.

**EDIT** Nevermind. Apparently they're stock piling valuable 2nd round picks now instead.

Good. Great. Wonderful. Grand.
He's signing Hezonja to be our SF. I'd bet money on that. It may also be the reason we passed on Luka.

He's signing Hezonja to be our SF. I'd bet money on that. It may also be the reason we passed on Luka.
Which is the exact scenario I mentioned in another thread. So freaking predictable.

How anybody can drink the kool aid from a front office/GM and owner that haven't proved to be worthy of any level of the benefit of the doubt is beyond me. For every decent/good move, they've made 2-3 poor ones. All while changing directions multiple times. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I'm just far past tired of giving them second chance after second chance. Be prepared for another coaching change once things don't improve immensely.