Jones on importance of getting this pick right

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Often times I think a sports writers and fans develop this idea that there is a right answer and a wrong answer. When this happens the draft the assumption is that there's a right pick and a wrong pick. The truth is they're simply multiple options some better than others some simply different than others. Is Porter the right guy or is Bagley? they're just different fits in different good options in my book to take the team different directions and they will probably require different strategies. I think there are better fits for the team we put together and sometimes that makes me think in terms of right and wrong and I have to correct myself.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Kings don't have to draft a franchise player here, but they can't afford to draft a bust either. They will develop these guys for next season and then have another lottery selection in 2020.

how come? the Kings aren't the Celtics or Lakers where they can rebuild on the fly. This is a process and its meant for some patience in order to have a successful rebuild rather than whatever the Kings were trying to do in the last decade.
I hope you are right, but something tells me it is highly likely we try to rush it and it may hurt us long term.

The only way I see us not drafting Doncic is if we think Hezonja(?) Is comprable and we swing for the fences with Bagley.

Not having a wing killed us last year, but not being able to rebound also killed us.

Kings don't have to draft a franchise player here, but they can't afford to draft a bust either. They will develop these guys for next season and then have another lottery selection in 2020.
I agree that Kings can’t afford to draft a bust but they absolutely must draft a franchise player at 2.

how come? the Kings aren't the Celtics or Lakers where they can rebuild on the fly. This is a process and its meant for some patience in order to have a successful rebuild rather than whatever the Kings were trying to do in the last decade.
doesn't matter. we are simply talking about making the playoffs here, not winning the freaking title in two years. Winning 10-15 more games as soon as next season, isn't even that much of a stretch, let alone by 2020. i would damn hope so

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I agree that Kings can’t afford to draft a bust but they absolutely must draft a franchise player at 2.
No, they have to draft the BPA, at this time, given the info they know at this point.

Everyone keeps saying "franchise player", but drafting, say, Porter could get you that or a Greg Oden-type ending. Bagley could be it or could be another Faried. Luka could maybe be it or he could turn out to be a poor man's Hayward. Same on down the line for everyone else.

Nobody is a sure thing. The draft is always throwing a dart at a dartboard - never know exactly what you will end up with once the player "makes it" to the NBA. And everyone here is so sure that "their" pick is the right one when each player has holes to their game and could fail for some reason or another. So please quit dropping the weight of "franchise player" on the shoulders of whoever we draft right off the bat. I hope they just get the BPA as they see it and see where it goes.

No, they have to draft the BPA, at this time, given the info they know at this point.

Everyone keeps saying "franchise player", but drafting, say, Porter could get you that or a Greg Oden-type ending. Bagley could be it or could be another Faried. Luka could maybe be it or he could turn out to be a poor man's Hayward. Same on down the line for everyone else.

Nobody is a sure thing. The draft is always throwing a dart at a dartboard - never know exactly what you will end up with once the player "makes it" to the NBA. And everyone here is so sure that "their" pick is the right one when each player has holes to their game and could fail for some reason or another. So please quit dropping the weight of "franchise player" on the shoulders of whoever we draft right off the bat. I hope they just get the BPA as they see it and see where it goes.
Well we agree on most things except one. Drafting for a safe pick gets you mediocrity. We should be looking at who is good now but could be best from this draft in 5 years time.

I am comfortable with either Bagley or Dončić. Evaluate their talent now, their work ethic, mental make up and scope for improvement. There is obvious risk with every player. Who you draft depends on the risk appetite of the franchise. Kings are in no position to be stupid risk takers but they are also not exactly in position to go for safe as houses pick either. There needs to be some risk taken to try and hit a home run but not pick who is going to be a very good player but never the best player on the team.

Kings need to draft a perennial all-star not a good solid contibutor. Those don’t get you far. Its a stars league whether people like it or not.

I hope everyone embraces the player we pick and realize Vlade knows WAYYYYY MORE about these players than we do. Vlade has known Luka since he was a child and had Marvin in for a private workout. Whoever we take our team just got better so lets put our couch GM ego's away for a day and cheer for our pick. I remember everyone rejoiced with the T-ROB pick so reality is the fans are wrong a lot of the time.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
doesn't matter. we are simply talking about making the playoffs here, not winning the freaking title in two years. Winning 10-15 more games as soon as next season, isn't even that much of a stretch, let alone by 2020. i would damn hope so
what's the use of talking about the playoffs when the head coach that's at the helm isn't utilizing his best players so far to produce more wins? That's not to say he won't adapt but that remains to be seen.

I hope everyone embraces the player we pick and realize Vlade knows WAYYYYY MORE about these players than we do. Vlade has known Luka since he was a child and had Marvin in for a private workout. Whoever we take our team just got better so lets put our couch GM ego's away for a day and cheer for our pick. I remember everyone rejoiced with the T-ROB pick so reality is the fans are wrong a lot of the time.
Gms do stupid things all the time despite of knowing this or that. The same argument that "Vlade obviously knows this kid" was used in defense of the Papa G pick. Also imo Vlade hasnt become even close to earning that type of respect with his drafting/decision making. There are very few Gms I'd feel comfortable to give that type of blind benefit of the doubt

We have the longest playoff drought in the league...

1best
This franchise will be in the lottery for at least another decade IMO.
God that is depressing, but not outside of the realm of possibility of they botch this pick.

The Kings have the longest playoff drought in the league.

Gms do stupid things all the time despite of knowing this or that. The same argument that "Vlade obviously knows this kid" was used in defense of the Papa G pick. Also imo Vlade hasnt become even close to earning that type of respect with his drafting/decision making. There are very few Gms I'd feel comfortable to give that type of blind benefit of the doubt
I'll trust the people who have inside knowledge of these prospects over us who are youtube looking at highlights. smh
PS we did get Bogie and skal in that trade CORRECT? hmmmm.... Bogie/skal>>>>>>>>Marquiss Chriss

I'll trust the people who have inside knowledge of these prospects over us who are youtube looking at highlights. smh
PS we did get Bogie and skal in that trade CORRECT? hmmmm.... Bogie/skal>>>>>>>>Marquiss Chriss
To me him making one good trade doesnt put him in that Danny Ainge level when you can be just "oh, that goes completely against my own evaluation but hes been so succesfull as a decision maker that im going to trust him"

If you want to discuss Vlade more I wrote a longer post on "Vlade as a Gm" thread. Point is, its 2018 so there is so much film, statistical data and analysis available that you dont have to blidly trust your current decision maker anymore.

Sure except that draft has proven tobe one giant crap pond.

This draft is good enough to draft a perennial all star. One of the best players from the draft in 5 years time. Not necessarily next year.

Sure except that draft has proven tobe one giant crap pond.

This draft is good enough to draft a perennial all star. One of the best players from the draft in 5 years time. Not necessarily next year.
And my point isnt Vlades one single good or bad decision. As I said above, there is so much film, statistical data and analysis available that you dont have to blindly trust a gm, you can form your own educated opinion. There is very few Gms that deserve that kind of blind benefit of the doubt.

To me him making one good trade doesnt put him in that Danny Ainge level when you can be just "oh, that goes completely against my own evaluation but hes been so succesfull as a decision maker that im going to trust him"

If you want to discuss Vlade more I wrote a longer post on "Vlade as a Gm" thread. Point is, its 2018 so there is so much film, statistical data and analysis available that you dont have to blidly trust your current decision maker anymore.
Look, at 7 Kings fans would be dancing in the street if we landed Luka or Bagley but all of a sudden we are a bunch of spoiled brats because we have the 2nd pick? I'll be happy with both because regardless of your opinion both of these players will improve our team. I get it your a passionate Kings fan as am I and all anyone of us want is for the Kings to win again but the bottom line is we aren't the decision makers on the team. Feel free to be upset if the pick doesn't align with your beliefs. I'll cheer my ass of for who ever we pick because reality is we gotta see these guys play before we make judgments.
btw that's no dig at you directly. It seems all of us like a certain player and it's been a civil war in this forum.

And my point isnt Vlades one single good or bad decision. As I said above, there is so much film, statistical data and analysis available that you dont have to blindly trust a gm, you can form your own educated opinion. There is very few Gms that deserve that kind of blind benefit of the doubt.
And if you were as good at doing it as you make it sound, you would be working for an NBA team now and not arguing about the merits of prospects on the draft boards.

I am amazed how much people rate their ability to assess talent year in year out. People were smashing Tatum this time last year. Now they are aying player A is a stud adn player B is a bust. Fact is no one here does not have anywhere near the scouting info as much as NBA teams to make that call.

And if you were as good at doing it as you make it sound, you would be working for an NBA team now and not arguing about the merits of prospects on the draft boards.

I am amazed how much people rate their ability to assess talent year in year out. People were smashing Tatum this time last year. Now they are aying player A is a stud adn player B is a bust. Fact is no one here does not have anywhere near the scouting info as much as NBA teams to make that call.
Thats allways such a horrible take when someone has opinion on draft stuff. Its just the same as with Nfl message boards. Gms in general have made very stupid decision, very bad picks, very bad trades ect. They obviously arent some type of gods who are above all critisism. Kings fans should know that since we have drafted so horribly for so long.

When a "fan" or a person who doesnt work in the organization has some analysis or opinion on prospects, its not automatically bad because "otherwise he would work for the organization". You yourself have to figure out wether that persons analysis is correct, incorrect or somwhere in between based on his arguments.

I understand that in general a lot of people have very strong opinions based on very little knowledge and research. That doesnt mean everybody is like that. If someone gives an opinion, shows how he researched the prospect, backs his opinion in statistical data and educated eye test, you got to respect that at least to the point where you dont claim his opinion as bullsh*it just because he doesnt work for the Kings.

Plus not that its your point, but I was relatively high on Tatum last year ;) Im not saying Im some kind of draft guru but I feel like if I put some time and effort in to make my own evaluations and if there have been many occasions they have been correct, then I dont have to just blindly trust a rookie gm. Same goes for anyone here. Even if I'm low on Bagley, someone else has every right to be dissapointed if he is not our pick. We'll see how it pans out in a few years but everyone is entitled to do their own evaluations. Then its just up to you which evaluations you find educated and which you find not educated.