Joerger: Tanking, incompetent or ? (With poll)

So what's the deal with Joerger?

• Total voters
The only issue i have with Joerger right now is his poor handling of Skal Labissiere. Skal has more than proven he is deserving of consistently good minutes, yet alternates between the low teens and low 20's. He'll make 3 straight shots and Joerger will pull him. Skal looks like our second most promising player after Fox, he needs the minutes to work out his kinks. Giving him minutes that don't make it clear what kind of role he has on the team going forward is going to do nothing to improve his confidence and abilities.

Coach J knows what he is doing, unfortunately he has a lot of kids that really don't. They are young and lack experience and confidence.
Our old guys know how to play, their bodies and minds are just not keeping up.
Blaming the coach is a cheap way to delude yourself. The problem is we do not have the horses to compete with most teams. The rotations are not the problem, the skill level is.

I think people need to take a step back and look without emotion. It is VERY clear that wins are not important here. Its all about development and yes that means tanking and losing a LOT.

Veterans are there to play some and keep kids engaged and to keep their confidence up through this tough time. The talk of 30 wins let alone play offs was ALWAYS overly optimistic. People need to understand that next 2-3 years there will be a LOT of losing and a lot of pain but hopefully one day it will be all worth it.

This is not on the coach. He is doing EXACTLY what the front office wants him to do.

I just keep going back to people that actually advocated doing a full on Philly/Hinkie/Process style tank vs. what we are all hoping is a 2 year rebuild and imagining what that might look like.

The speculation that we were going to be "too good" this season to get a top 5 draft pick seems laughable right now.

I know the last 10 years have been horrible, but Boogie did give us hope most every year, and it never panned out. We're trying the blow it up route, at least give it more than a month?

After listening to Joerger I am pretty convinced this is a blatant tank. He has stated numerous times that nothing that has happened so far is surprising to him. I think maybe they thought they might have one more win that they do now. I believe they are really going for the top pick here. Play the kids, play mismatched lineups and try to learn things.

After listening to Joerger I am pretty convinced this is a blatant tank. He has stated numerous times that nothing that has happened so far is surprising to him. I think maybe they thought they might have one more win that they do now. I believe they are really going for the top pick here. Play the kids, play mismatched lineups and try to learn things.
When you watch Doncic and Ayton play than I look the other way and support the tank. We ain’t getting close to the playoffs anyways

Only those that are blinded by their purple passion cannot see this.

This is an a blatant tank job as a team has done in years. They are not exactly going to come out and say they are tanking. The record for this team will rival that of the 17 win team that preceded the Tyreke Evans draft (where team tanked for Blake Griffin but slid back to 4th despite the worst record in the league). Team wants a top pick and a chance at a franchise level player to add to the bunch of youth it already has. There is nothing wrong with that. If you are rebuilding, do it right. The Kings are just more blatant about it because they need to speed it up given that 2019 first rounder goes to another team so the way they see it, they need a home run in the 2018 draft and the only way they give themselves the best chance is to tank and tank hard.

If the Kings can get a franchise level talent in 2018 draft, and if Fox becomes one eventually, that's a good chunk of the rebuild done. Furthermore, if Skal, Bogdan, Hield, Mason, Giles, Jackson and WCS turn into good to very good NBA players, the team is set for the long run. There seems to be a lot of complementary pieces on the team but the team needs that franchise level player or two.

Tanking on purpose goes against the grain of people that are in sports for a livelihood. Competing is in the DNA of coaches that make it to this level.
Okay maybe in boxing, maybe in horse racing, maybe even baseball. I can't see it in the NBA. Call me naive.

Tanking on purpose goes against the grain of people that are in sports for a livelihood. Competing is in the DNA of coaches that make it to this level.
Okay maybe in boxing, maybe in horse racing, maybe even baseball. I can't see it in the NBA. Call me naive.
I think in this particular situation it's tanking by default. The young guys don't have the experience to win against competent teams and the vets don't have the legs. The fact that we're losing isn't really surprising, I was hoping they would be a little more competitive to start, but it looks like that may take a little more time. I do think it will get better as the season moves along.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think in this particular situation it's tanking by default. The young guys don't have the experience to win against competent teams and the vets don't have the legs. The fact that we're losing isn't really surprising, I was hoping they would be a little more competitive to start, but it looks like that may take a little more time. I do think it will get better as the season moves along.
I don't know about anyone else, but I take particular offense to the term "tanking" and I suspect it's because it has such a negative connotation. We aren't going to win many games. In losing, we're going to learn more about our young players and figure out what will be best going forward. Joerger is being consistent in his approach to rotations, etc. in what I see as an obvious attempt to meet those goals. If the kids can pull out a win, more power to them. But I agree that's not gonna happen very often.

I don't know about anyone else, but I take particular offense to the term "tanking" and I suspect it's because it has such a negative connotation. We aren't going to win many games. In losing, we're going to learn more about our young players and figure out what will be best going forward. Joerger is being consistent in his approach to rotations, etc. in what I see as an obvious attempt to meet those goals. If the kids can pull out a win, more power to them. But I agree that's not gonna happen very often.
We are having a learning season. I tend to agree that we aren't "tanking" in so much as losing to lose - and I bet there are going to be people fuming late in the season when this team starts beating the Phoenix's down the stretch. But I guarantee they knew they had one more shot at a good draft pick in 2018 and then they were going to have to start committing salaries - if Boogie was shipped because they thought they could never reload after re-signing him, surely they were going to do everything in their power to make sure that they would learn and not repeat that mistake going forward.

It doesn't feel like tanking, just wasn't sure what to call it. "Learning" feels much more accurate. It's funny because at times the product is every bit as bad as tanking would be but it doesn't anger me in the same way. It still might be difficult to watch, but it's completely understandable with our guys. As long as we see nights like last night (hopefully more and more often as the season progresses) I'm ok with how things are going.

YES! It's not "tanking" ... it's "LEARNING." Thank you. :)
Yeah, I don't like "tanking" either. Tanking is when you hold your better players out who are part of your future to increase the odds of a loss for the draft benefits (or whatever). "Learning" or "developing" is when you play young or new players who are part of your future rather than more mature veteran players who are not, even though you may be decreasing your odds of winning in the present by playing the young players. You sacrifice wins now, for expectations of greater rewards in the future.

Yeah, I don't like "tanking" either. Tanking is when you hold your better players out who are part of your future to increase the odds of a loss for the draft benefits (or whatever). "Learning" or "developing" is when you play young or new players who are part of your future rather than more mature veteran players who are not, even though you may be decreasing your odds of winning in the present by playing the young players. You sacrifice wins now, for expectations of greater rewards in the future.
In your opinion did any teams tank last year? If so which ones

The Kings seem unbelievably to have solved a lot of their confidence problems in the OKC game after the first quarter. That is a giant step forward. Coach no doubt deserves some credit for that. Watching the change in a player like Justin Jackson is very gratifying. I like the platoon system and playing a lot of guys every night. The difference between the starters and the bench on the Kings is small in terms of talent. When Fox, Hield and KK come off the bench I get enthused about their prospects to make a run on the other team.

Some more winning will make this conversation completely moot.

I want to give coach a little credit for being out front on Justin Jackson. Nobody could figure out why he was a starter early on, but it is becoming more apparent as time goes on.

I'm starting to wonder if the coach actually sees the players more, and knows more about their attributes, weaknesses, health etc... than the keyboard warriors do? Maybe not, but maybe so. Perhaps he has actually developed players in D league in the past, I don't know for sure... haven't read his resume. Just a hunch.