Jerry Reynolds Chat

Edit: Credit for finding this goes to KG.
===========
http://forums.sacbee.com/kings/
=========================
Chat with Jerry Reynolds

Jerry Reynolds, the Sacramento Kings director of player personnel, will answer your Sacramento Kings-related questions from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Sept. 2.

Sacramento Bee photo by Brian Baer

Note: Questions posted to the chat will not be viewable on this page until they are answered.

How hard did kings look for talent

Posted by bjmarquez
September 2, 2004 at 10:52 AM
Question: I was surprised that I didn't see the Kings run at some of the talent that was not bid on this summer. I thought Zeljko Rebraca would have been a better fit than Ostertag (european game, tough, same price) and maybe bring in a Kukoc for some relief for Peja. Are the Kings that strapped this year or looking elsewhere?

answer: Certainly the Kings had an interest in Toni Kukoc and Rebraca. Kukoc made it clear through his representatives that he would only play in Milwaukee and Chicago since his home has always been in that area. Rebraca is probably a better offensive player than Ostertag but has never shown the ability to rebound or defend nearly as effectively. Most fans would agree that our needs fit closer to what Greg Ostertag brings.

Future chat events?

Posted by NoBonus
September 2, 2004 at 10:49 AM
Question: As this chat is winding down, I wonder if or when we, the Kings fans, will have a chance to chat with you or any other Kings-related personalities in the future. It seems like this forum is a great way to reach the fans and address our concerns and questions. Are there any more chats scheduled in the future that you know of? Thanks.

answer: I would love to talk with Kings fans preferably in a seminar-type situation. In years past, the Kings set up several of these type of encounters during the season and prior to games. And based on my availability, we’d like to do more of those. I’ll possibly be back with sacbee.com for a chat during the season.

also on the subject of arena's...

Posted by harbingerofdoom
September 2, 2004 at 10:36 AM
Question: Understanding your disappointment on the arena deal... Its been my stand that the city has really mishandled this issue and could potentially be causing harm to a great many people outside their voting districts. I would really like to see the County step forward to take the lead in this and even perhaps a multi county organization to get this done right. Have the County board or agencies from other communities in Sacramento been in contact regarding an arena?

answer: It would seem that many thousands of people benefit from a major league arena that live outside Sacramento County. On that basis alone, it would seem to make sense to find a way of getting several of these county leaders together. Maybe a plan could be worked out to serve the interests of the metro area and help everyone to live happily ever after.

Street Ball Players

Posted by harbingerofdoom
September 2, 2004 at 10:30 AM
Question: I recently read about the Streetballer that apparently tried to con his way into the kings lineup (or at least gave an interview that he was invited to camp) with the success of Rafer Alston who came from the And1 tour, Do you think that they can be successfully brought into the NBA & would the kings look there for any talent in the future?

answer: I am not a fan of street ball. I personally believe that this style of play is the problem not the solution. Rafer Alston is the exception to every rule. He had previously played in the NBA before his street ball experience and returned to the league in spite of that. I don’t foresee the Kings picking up any players out of that league. In fact, most college teams would defeat the And1 team handily with legitimate officials and basketball rules in place.

T.V. Deal?

Posted by NoBonus
September 2, 2004 at 10:22 AM
Question: Any new news or speculations on a T.V. deal for the Kings? As much as I understand the Maloof's desire to get fair market value for the Kings television coverage, it was very frustrating, as a fan, not being able to see the Kings on television very often.

answer: It may come as a surprise to you but I have absolutely no knowledge of the existing or future TV deal. Like you, I’m very hopeful. I truly enjoy doing the games and if we do 30 or 70 I’ll adjust. My current status is I either do TV games or scout, so I can only be one place at a time and truthfully I’d rather be doing the games. So I’m hoping for 70.

Roster

Posted by 916_fan
September 2, 2004 at 9:43 AM
Question: i hear that peja wants to leave, now i don't want him to go but if we deny his request might he not play as well this season?

answer: Peja’s request to be traded will not be met. He is a King and is under contract to be a King for two more years. Knowing the kind of person Peja is and the pride that he takes in his game, he will come back and play at an All-Star level. Whatever differences there may be with Peja and teammates I don’t believe are of a serious nature and most likely will be resolved and not affect his play. Peja is a young, still developing, star and the best is certainly still ahead.

One on one

Posted by glenn
September 2, 2004 at 8:39 AM
Question: Hey Jerry, Can you beat Pete Carill in a game of one-on-one?

answer: Absolutely. I’m far too quick for Coachie. Although he can still shoot the ball, defensively he’s a liability for the “Caucasian Comet.”

French Lick

Posted by ShelsPop
September 2, 2004 at 7:41 AM
Question: Jerry, For years I've heard you say you are the second-most famous person to come out of French Lick, Indiana. Do you take any comfort in knowing that perhaps you are the better looking of the two, therefore making you the best looking celebrity from French Lick?

answer: Obviously you’ve evaluated Mr. Larry Bird and my appearance closely and have come to the same conclusion any sane person would that I am one handsome dude. Larry’s appearance has improved over the years but still clearly a distant second.

KINGS

Posted by LKRH8R
September 2, 2004 at 7:01 AM
Question: Jerry, how serious is the peja, chris thing?? is this something that both can overcome or has to much been said. to be honest i like the idea of both guys being a little "ticked" at one another. maybe peja wont be so p***ive w/ chris in the line-up. what are your thoughts?

answer: I don’t believe it’s serious at all. Certainly a meeting of the talented minds may be in order but these young men have a lot of talent on and off the court and their goals should be the same. I realize that I tend to be an optimist but I know both of these young people and have a lot of confidence that the best is ahead. Also, the fact that they may be ticked off to some degree I see as more good than bad.

Something to look forward to

Posted by kingsfan2116
September 2, 2004 at 12:24 AM
Question: What about the team and this season are looking forward to the most? What do you think will be the most challenging issue this Kings team will have to overcome this season?

answer: Every season brings surprises. Certainly with the Kings some things will go better than expected and other areas may be more disappointing than expected. That being said, it’s easy to be excited about the new season based on the rookies and their development, the addition of Greg Ostertag and how he adjusts to Kings basketball - and most importantly - how Chris, Peja and Bobby all return and have a group hug and a great season.

< continued >

Last edited:
Minard and Bluthenthal

Posted by NoBonus
September 2, 2004 at 12:03 AM
Question: I have heard a lot about Kings rookie Kevin Martin over the summer and I hope he will do great things with the Kings, but what about the other two rookies, Minard and Bluthenthal? I have not heard much about Minard and nothing recently about Bluthenthal. What can we expect come pre-season?

answer: Ricky Minard was very effective in summer league playing both as a 1- and 2-guard, I felt that Minard was a better summer league player than several second round picks of the past who went on to have good careers - those players being Randy Brown, Vinnie Del Negro and Anthony Johnson. Whether he will continue to improve at the same rate will determine if his career matches the above-mentioned players. Bluthenthal was a big surprise in summer league proving to be a big-time deep shooter and the hope is that he could be an effective backup for Peja. There again only time will tell and certainly David must continue to improve throughout the preseason in order to get playing time.

Where's Brad Miller?

Posted by NoBonus
September 1, 2004 at 11:57 PM
Question: During the summer, we have heard a lot about Peja, Vlade, C-Webb, and B-Jax, but nothing about Brad Miller. Is he recovering well from the nagging injuries he had during the playoffs? Is it safe to speculate he is fishing at the moment?

answer: Brad Miller was in Sacramento recently for a summer camp that he runs and took the opportunity to come by the practice center and work out on a regular basis. I was privy to those workouts and he was healthy and appeared to be in good condition - for Brad. As you may know you must qualify those kind of things because summers are important to Mr. Miller due to his love of hunting and fishing. Also, it would have been nice if the Olympic team had Mr. Miller on their roster.

Some good news please

Posted by NoBonus
September 1, 2004 at 11:50 PM
Question: Since the end of the playoffs, Kings fans have been hearing about the departure of Divac, Peja wanting to be traded, and the possibility of the Kings leaving Sacramento. Certainly a lot of positive things have happened during the summer that were over-shadowed by the depressing news. What do you feel is the most positive news of the summer for the Kings and Kings fans? Darius re-signing? Kevin Martin's summer league performance? Signing Greg Ostertag?

answer: Being the optimist that I am, several good things happened in the off season. You mentioned about all of them. I definitely think drafting Kevin Martin could have a solid impact for the franchise for years to come. This kid can be special. Also, re-signing Darius Songaila was very important to us and to him, as well, because Darius is still developing as an NBA player and our style fits him. Certainly losing Vlade was a blow as much off the court as on – a special person. But once the Lakers jersey slips over his chest I’ll boo him. I do think the acquisition of Greg Ostertag will fill a lot of Kings’ weaknesses. Namely shot blocking, defensive rebounding and the ability and desire to set a screen. So whether that’s enough to be a champion that’s what 82 games is about.

Olympic fall out

Posted by Cyber_Rook
September 1, 2004 at 7:46 PM
Question: 1) Do you see any non-US players attracting the attention of NBA teams based on their performance in this year's Olympics? 2) If you were in charge of USA Basketball, how would you go about selecting & preparing the US national team?

answer: Surprisingly not many, because all of the non-U.S. Olympians have been on the NBA radar for some time. Many in fact have been drafted by the NBA or invited to camps. Certainly the influx of foreign players in the NBA will continue at a reasonable rate. If I was in charge I would have had paid more attention to players who had the ability to be effective against zone defenses and also players and coaches who had backgrounds in playing zone defense. The zone forces teams to play 5-on-5 basketball which, unfortunately, is rare in the NBA. The NBA consists of a lot of two- and three-man basketball. In summation, give me shooters, p***ers and team players.

CWebb

Posted by tcuzz
September 1, 2004 at 6:38 PM
Question: How come the Kings don't just cut him loose. He's a broken player and now is causing morale problems. Maybe you won't answer this because the Kings are afraid to admit it.

answer: The Kings do not see Chris Webber as a broken player. Obviously he wasn’t as effective on the court last season as he had been previously. Logic would indicate that serious knee injuries may have been a factor. Chris is 31 and there is every reason to believe that he can return close to 100 percent from his injury in time. I watched Chris workout yesterday and his movement and body looks significantly better than at the end of the season. Certainly Chris was frustrated at times and probably said and did things not in his or the team’s best interest, but that’s not unusual among world-cl*** athletes coming back from injuries.

Franchise player

Posted by milosdosen
August 29, 2004 at 4:46 PM
Question: How are you Sir? Do you think Kings need a new franchise player, since C-Webb is not a true All-Star anymore? What is your version of what happend to Kings' game last year in the second part of season? What happened with that famous team work? Thank you, Jo

answer: I think the Kings basically need to be healthy in the playoffs. Certainly the team did not play as well down the stretch of the season do in part to Webber coming back from injury but almost equally important was the injury to Bobby Jackson. Both factors impacted team talent and chemistry to some degree. I truly believe this team still is among the elite NBA teams and off-season happenings may improve the squad.

Rivalry

Posted by sokaldave
August 27, 2004 at 11:48 AM
Question: With the departure of Rick Fox and the signing of Vlade Divac to a Lakers contract, do you feel the Kings and their fans will hate the Lakers as p***ionately as they have over the past few years? Kings fans like to think that there is a "rivalry" between the two teams, but as a lifetime Lakers fan, I don't because the Kings have never beaten the Lakers when it matters most - the playoffs.

answer: I think Kings fans will dislike the Lakers to the same degree regardless of the offseason happenings. They are the Lakers and represent one of the great franchises in professional sports, as well as an elite and sometimes arrogant group of athletes. So what’s not to dislike?

Future of the Kings

Posted by FourPeat
August 20, 2004 at 12:14 AM
Question: What do you think about the stadium controversy? Is it possible that the Maloofs know that Sacramento won't buy them a new arena, and they'll use it as an excuse to move? In the meantime, will they let the quality of the team deteriorate so that fan support will be less when the time comes to go to Vegas (or elsewhere)?

answer: Basically I’m disappointed in the arena situation. Its clear to me that a new arena is a necessity in a reasonable time frame. I love Sacramento and believe that it deserves to be a major league city. Logic would indicate that cooler heads will prevail and a new arena will be in the works. I personally believe that the Maloofs will do everything, within reason, to keep the team here and keep it competitive. Everything they’ve accomplished since buying the franchise would indicate that to be true.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
The Caucasian Comet?

Loved the chat item about Jerry playing one-on-one with Coach Carril, that Coachie could not defend the "Caucasian Comet". :D

(I love that icon)

M

Markezi

I have to admit that I like Jerry a little bit more each year. As far as announcers go, he's definitely one of the most knowledgeable (and he has a sense of humor).

Regarding the TV deal - I have a friend who works for Comcast - indications are that the Kings are close to an exclusive deal with Comcast, which means no Kings on DirectTV or DISH (my friend was very happy to tell me this...which makes me think that he is just screwing with me...but I'll try to find out).

If this is the case, looks like another year of NBA League Pass!

The Caucasian comet, eh? :p

The zone forces teams to play 5-on-5 basketball which, unfortunately, is rare in the NBA. The NBA consists of a lot of two- and three-man basketball. In summation, give me shooters, passers and team players.
So true. :(

Last edited: