Jahmi’us Ramsey (g league)

I am a little surprised at the lack of production so far as I was much higher on him than Woodard. Obviously plenty of time to get going and turn things around. He seemed like instant offense material in college

You mean he is two years away from being two years away?
Nah, he's very young. I think once he matures into an NBA body and gets his sea legs he'll be the shooting spark plug he was supposed to be. Does he have a higher ceiling? I have no idea. But if he can shoot anything like what he did in college he'll have a spot.

My expectation for Ramsey in the G League was that he'd be very up & down with poor shooting/low scoring games and then a big scoring night when his shot was falling. So far it's only been the former.

It's also tough because the Kings opted out of the bubble so both Ramsey and Woodard are playing on teams that don't have a vested interest in developing them. Woodard has been succeding in spite of that, but Ramsey might have been better off on a Stockton Kings team that would start him and give him more minutes to play through mistakes.

Side note - Paul Reed, who I liked coming out of DePaul and who the Kings could have taken at #52, is putting up 25 & 11 along with 2 steals a block, and a 1.7 assists per game for the Sixers G League team.

My biggest concern with Ramsey is handles. I don't care about anything else. He's an undersized scorer with poor handles. Fix the handles part first.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
My expectation for Ramsey in the G League was that he'd be very up & down with poor shooting/low scoring games and then a big scoring night when his shot was falling. So far it's only been the former.

It's also tough because the Kings opted out of the bubble so both Ramsey and Woodard are playing on teams that don't have a vested interest in developing them. Woodard has been succeding in spite of that, but Ramsey might have been better off on a Stockton Kings team that would start him and give him more minutes to play through mistakes.

Side note - Paul Reed, who I liked coming out of DePaul and who the Kings could have taken at #52, is putting up 25 & 11 along with 2 steals a block, and a 1.7 assists per game for the Sixers G League team.
Reed was one of my favorites for the Kings in the 2nd rd. I actually thought someone might take him at the bottom of the 1st rd. No surprise that he's playing well.

These are Ramsey's highlights.
One major issue for Ramsey continues to be his lack of a left hand. You can see in that first drive going left that he should obviously finish with his off hand but he actually switches to his right.

But his footwork on setting up his jumpers still looks very good. He just needs to start hitting more of them.

Ramsey had another good game today. In 26 mins he scored 17pts on 8/12 shooting(1/5 fr 3), 2asts, 3rbs & a steal.
Do you think it is the extra distance that is making his threes so atrocious? I understand that he was good at the three in college so maybe little more time and strength....... ?

Do you think it is the extra distance that is making his threes so atrocious? I understand that he was good at the three in college so maybe little more time and strength....... ?
Hard to sau without seeing the whole game. I think he was streaky in college, but who knows. He is only 19, so there is plenty of time for him to work on it.

I haven't seen enough tape to say for sure but while Ramsey was very streaky in college I think it's getting used to the size and speed of NBA/G League level defenders.

Ramsey has very good footwork in terms of setting up his jumpers but at Texas Tech he took a lot of contested shots, just opening up a small window to get his shot off. Now against better defenders I think he's struggling a bit right now to create enough space for a good shot.

I'm still high on his long term potential, but Ramsey has to shore up a number of areas in his game: shot selection, tightening his handle, developing his off hand, passing and pick & roll play in general, defensive positioning and awareness etc. As fans we'll need to be patient with him.

I haven't seen enough tape to say for sure but while Ramsey was very streaky in college I think it's getting used to the size and speed of NBA/G League level defenders.

Ramsey has very good footwork in terms of setting up his jumpers but at Texas Tech he took a lot of contested shots, just opening up a small window to get his shot off. Now against better defenders I think he's struggling a bit right now to create enough space for a good shot.

I'm still high on his long term potential, but Ramsey has to shore up a number of areas in his game: shot selection, tightening his handle, developing his off hand, passing and pick & roll play in general, defensive positioning and awareness etc. As fans we'll need to be patient with him.
It's nice to have a player with this kind of report on him but he's 19, not 23. I think he could find himself easily running backup PG in time.