IST Championship Open Thread

I know ball is round and orange and all can happen , but this i cant understand ...
Pelicans are beating us where ever they catch us , we win LA in the same way , BUT LA are trushing Pels with an ease ....
love collective sports haha
Lakers are making the Pelicans look small.

I'd bet you lunch that I've seen Haliburton play more games than you've seen Young play.
I doubt it. I’ve seen Young play plenty, going all the way back to his ball hogging days in Oklahoma. But that’s besides the point. Young and Hali are night and day. It’s like saying Jokic and Doncic are similar players cuz they are close in average in points and assists

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
We lost to that team three times in a row, huh?
‘it feels like they did the same thing as the warriors did in the playoffs and exhausted their reserves of good basketball power against us which just left their suckiness for the Lakers to destroy.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I mean the only time the Kings have lost to the Lakers in the Mike Brown era was when the refs went HAM in the last 30 seconds of a game and refused to call Russ slapping Fox on a game winning three attempt at the buzzer and those same Lakers made the Pels look like a DIII college team playing Duke or someone at the start of a college season.

I mean the only time the Kings have lost to the Lakers in the Mike Brown era was when the refs went HAM in the last 30 seconds of a game and refused to call Russ slapping Fox on a game winning three attempt at the buzzer and those same Lakers made the Pels look like a DIII college team playing Duke or someone at the start of a college season.
haha bro , nice one :)
But yes , strange game ... Lets hope we will get LA in play-offs before Pelicans
or better , LA gets the pelican and they play with us in the next round ...

And the crappy part of it all? We still have to play the Pels 2 more times! At least they’re home games, but that’s one of the wonky results of the IST scheduling, having to play the same team 5x in the regular season
So begs the question. What game do they now not play, in order to still arrive at 82 games total?

Huh? it was all scheduled out. The 2 knockout rounds are part of the 82. The final's game is the only one that doesn't count towards the standings.
I follow, but they were not originally scheduled to play the Pelicans 5 times this season. Being that they now will, apparently....what team do they play 1 less time? I had assumed that they would only play New Orleans 1 more time, for a scheduled total of 4 games

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
So begs the question. What game do they now not play, in order to still arrive at 82 games total?
The original schedule only included 80 games, with no games scheduled this week for any team. Once the IST was set, the games this week were scheduled. Everybody not in the IST got two games to bring their total to 82. Everybody in the IST got their Quarterfinal game + either a Semifinal game or the knockout game (like us), to get to 82. All of the above game count as regular season games. The Lakers and the Pacers only now play "Game 83", but it doesn't count towards the regular season.

The original schedule only included 80 games, with no games scheduled this week for any team. Once the IST was set, the games this week were scheduled. Everybody not in the IST got two games to bring their total to 82. Everybody in the IST got their Quarterfinal game + either a Semifinal game or the knockout game (like us), to get to 82. All of the above game count as regular season games. The Lakers and the Pacers only now play "Game 83", but it doesn't count towards the regular season.
Ok. So will the Kings play New Orleans 5 times or 4?

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I follow, but they were not originally scheduled to play the Pelicans 5 times this season. Being that they now will, apparently....what team do they play 1 less time? I had assumed that they would only play New Orleans 1 more time, for a scheduled total of 4 games
Without looking over the schedule...

Before this year, normally a team would play:
15x2 = 30 out-of-conference games
4x4 = 16 in-division games

That leaves 82-46 = 36 games with the 10 in-conference, out-of-division teams. That's 3.6 games per team, or 6 teams (x4) and 4 teams (x3). This year they just changed that ratio to 4 teams (x4) and 6 teams (x3) = 34 games to leave space for the IST.

@ShastaKingsFan, here you go... (link to original article located below)

How will this impact the regular-season schedule and standings?
Typically, the NBA sends out a full 82-game schedule in mid-August. This year, though, the league only sent 80 games, with a gap in the schedule from Dec. 3-10. Each team's final two regular-season games will be determined by how the in-season tournament plays out.

The 22 teams that fail to qualify for the knockout rounds of the in-season tournament will have their final two games scheduled -- one at home and one on the road -- on Dec. 6 and 8 against other teams eliminated in the group stage.

The East teams that lose in the quarterfinals and the West teams that lose in the quarterfinals will play each other on Dec. 7. The teams that lose in the semifinals in Las Vegas will have played their full allotment of 82 games, while the teams that reach the championship game will actually wind up playing 83 games -- with the championship game not counting toward the regular-season standings.

What is the NBA in-season tournament? Format, schedule, groups

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
So with that said, had they not won their division in the tournament, they would have played another team besides New Orleans 1 more time?
Yes, but I don't think it's guaranteed it would have been a team we played three times. That would seem logical, of course. But since 11 teams in each conference didn't make the IST, only 20 on each night (i.e. 10 games) can play conference games, the other two had to have an interconference matchup which would make three games against that interconference opponent.

Yes, but I don't think it's guaranteed it would have been a team we played three times. That would seem logical, of course. But since 11 teams in each conference didn't make the IST, only 20 on each night (i.e. 10 games) can play conference games, the other two had to have an interconference matchup which would make three games against that interconference opponent.
Interesting. So this change could, potentially, affect tie break situations