Is tanking "cheating"? Poll added

Is tanking cheating?

• Total voters
I'm honestly still kicking this around, because adding a poll to a thread that's already been created is a pain in the ass. If I were to go ahead and do it, I'd add a fourth poll option to your three:

1) No, it’s not cheating, but it hurts fan interest.
2) No, it’s not cheating, and it’s naive not to play the system like it’s been played since the 80’s.
3) Yes, it’s cheating, and the Kings shouldn't do it.
4) Yes, it's cheating, but I don't care; if you're not cheating, you're not trying, baby!

LOL. Awesome!!

It's a system that promotes fairness but it's more difficult for the NBA because there are so very few "good" players that come out of each draft. I don't know how you could do it any better because at some point some team is going to be legitimately bad and get screwed from year to year by teams that are much better than them but have better luck with whatever system the NBA might incorporate.

The MLB and NFL have many many rounds with a ton of good players that come out of them. The 30th pick in the NFL draft is essentially equivalent to the 5th pick in the NBA. Teams don't really tank as hard in the NFL and the only reason they ever do is if a hopeful star QB is lined up to be drafted that year. Otherwise it's just not worth the trouble.
As important, the NFL has a hard cap that doesn’t allow you to keep your players like the NBA does.. nor does it allow teams in large markets to have payrolls that far exceed small market teams.

Put in place a hard cap and make all players free agents after 5 years and you would have much less reason to tank.

You two (you and sactowndog) are just arguing technicalities at this point (which... if we continue in this vein, Brad was also only a 1 x All Star when he signed here -- his second All-Star nod came as a member of the Kings). Regardless, Brad Miller is the biggest FA acquisition in Sacramento history since he was an All Star the year before and still in his prime but I'm not sure using him as an example is a fair counter-argument to the tanking strategy. He was joining a team that already had two All-Stars and finished with the second best record in the league the year before. That a small-market team can add an All-Star in free agency once they've already established themselves as a contender isn't in dispute. Can a small-market team build a contender that way without using the lottery? I think it would be harder to come up with examples of that happening.

In our case, Chris Webber is the engine that made that team run and he was a 1st overall pick that we got by trading a former 5th overall pick that we got by trading a 3rd overall pick. If you trace that team back to it's inception point, it still involves winning a top 3 pick in the lottery. I don't think Peja, JWill/Bibby, and Vlade were going to propel us to the top of the Western Conference without Chris.
Who arguing.

At the point he used Brad Miller as an example of a franchise player I stopped bothering to reply. Brad is a perfect example of why my friend in an NBA front office said if you are looking for a metric of a player who might lead a team to a championship use 3 time all-star.

Your point is essentially the same. We had two top 3 picks on that team: Chris and Bibby. We haven’t had one since.

Who arguing.

At the point he used Brad Miller as an example of a franchise player I stopped bothering to reply. Brad is a perfect example of why my friend in an NBA front office said if you are looking for a metric of a player who might lead a team to a championship use 3 time all-star.

Your point is essentially the same. We had two top 3 picks on that team: Chris and Bibby. We haven’t had one since.

Both of whom, interestingly enough, the Kings acquired by trade. Maybe they should try trading for their next franchise player instead of drafting one? ;)

This poll is why I objected to the original thread and characterization in the first place.
30% of our posters think one side condones cheating and 45% think the other side is hopelessly naive. Sounds a lot like our current political environment doesn’t it.

:confused:

Cheating? Maybe not. but I’m disgusted by anyone that does it, as it guarantees you nothing.

Play dirty and you come up with nothing or bad karma, more often than not.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This poll is why I objected to the original thread and characterization in the first place.
30% of our posters think one side condones cheating and 45% think the other side is hopelessly naive. Sounds a lot like our current political environment doesn’t it.

:confused:
Wrong. The poll only reflects the feelings of those who have actually responded to it. 19 responses don't tell much of a story, except that a lot of our members just aren't posting right now.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The problem with this poll is that I kind of want to select all four responses.
In addition, if you add the responses that think tanking has a negative impact on the fans/team, you get 10. Those that think tanking helps total 9. Lots of different ways this can and will be interpreted. I think the most telling number, however, is the total responses. Some fans have quit interacting and I hope that doesn't last too much longer.

The poll is great but really you can argue the interpretation.

3 of the responses for me are basically supporting tanking - options 1,2 and 4.

Option one doesn't feel like its cheating, the issue is fan interest - fan interest would be high if we were a lock for a top 3 pick with the young core we have if you ask me. Interest in this season has dissipated recently due to the fact that we seem to be setting ourselves up for a lower draft pick, playing vets and winning games, when for much of the season we were looking at a high pick in a draft where there are very good projected players. You can argue that people are not interacting, and attendance on Kings fans is at an all time low because we are biting our nose off to spite our face here by winning pointless games. Its been a long season, there really isnt any more development to be done, just a finish to the season, exit meeting and summer workout schedules to be set.

Option two supports tanking noting its the world we live in

Option four supports tanking noting that it is cheating but again it is the world we live in

Thats 14 pro tanking votes if you take my interpretation. Almost 3 out of 4 people if you want to average it out.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The poll is great but really you can argue the interpretation.

3 of the responses for me are basically supporting tanking - options 1,2 and 4.

Option one doesn't feel like its cheating, the issue is fan interest - fan interest would be high if we were a lock for a top 3 pick with the young core we have if you ask me. Interest in this season has dissipated recently due to the fact that we seem to be setting ourselves up for a lower draft pick, when for much of the season we were looking at a high pick in a draft where there are very good projected players.

Option two supports tanking noting its the world we live in

Option four supports tanking noting that it is cheating but again it is the world we live in

Thats 14 pro tanking votes if you take my interpretation. Almost 3 out of 4 people if you want to average it out.
Whch is, somewhat ironically, true about virtually all polls and statistics. And that kind of brings us full circle on our never-ending debate. At least we're not bored.

Again, it's 3 out of 4 responses, which is not very representative when your sample size is 19 out of 2,620.

Whch is, somewhat ironically, true about virtually all polls and statistics. And that kind of brings us full circle on our never-ending debate. At least we're not bored.

Again, it's 3 out of 4 responses, which is not very representative when your sample size is 19 out of 2,620.
how many active members do we have though ? that 2620 is not traffic daily.

Definetly more quiet around here these days. Only the die hards left.

We should email everyone and have them respond to the poll. It would be good to know. My hypothesis is the numbers will maintain their correlation

As important, the NFL has a hard cap that doesn’t allow you to keep your players like the NBA does.. nor does it allow teams in large markets to have payrolls that far exceed small market teams.

Put in place a hard cap and make all players free agents after 5 years and you would have much less reason to tank.
Id be in favor of a hard cap. Any system that would allow a wider dispersion of the nba top talent. Should only be able to fit 1 max player per team

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
how many active members do we have though ? that 2620 is not traffic daily.

Definetly more quiet around here these days. Only the die hards left.

We should email everyone and have them respond to the poll. It would be good to know. My hypothesis is the numbers will maintain their correlation
That's one hypothesis that will go unproven for the simple reason we mods don't have easy access to all the email addresses of every member and we do not have the ability to blanket email every member of the forum.

I think you would be surprised, however, at the number of members who do log on and read but do not comment. Adding the poll to an ongoing thread is always problemataic as those who have no interest in further discussion of the topic might not respond (on either side).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Out of curiosity, I did a manual count of how many different members have posted in this thread. There are approximately 37 (error rate +/- 2) different responders, and only 21 poll participants. And, in looking at the poll participants, 12 of those have not posted in the thread.

Just some more data to try and interpret. :p

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Out of curiosity, I did a manual count of how many different members have posted in this thread. There are approximately 37 (error rate +/- 2) different responders, and only 21 poll participants. And, in looking at the poll participants, 12 of those have not posted in the thread.

Just some more data to try and interpret. :p
VF, I never thought I could say it, but you've found a data analysis problem that bores even me! :eek:

Speaking of posters who haven’t voted :)
I voted, but for the record I must say that I didn’t like any of the options. Unless I’m an outlier, that could be why the participation in this thread and poll are low. Or maybe it’s just a dark subject for some people. And confusing for some others.

I guess I need someone to be more specific about how we are defining cheating here. Are we talking about cheating as in breaking the rules or cheating fans by sandbagging.

Answer number 2 reminds me of the PEDs argument with Barry Bonds. He was doing it, but everyone was doing and it wasn't technically against the rules so he wasn't really cheating.

if there was straight "yes it is cheating" I would vote for it.
Since those options were adding statements "I do not care about it" and that "Kings should do it", I could not select any of them.
I should have probably abstained, but I did not, just do not count it as "another things it is not cheating".

Fixed it for you.

Also, it isn't 22 for and 6 against. It's 20 who say it isn't cheating and 8 who say it is.
Out of the 8, 2 dont care that it is cheating, therefore being part of the pro tanking collective. "i dont care, if you're not cheating (tanking) your not trying"

not arguing if it is cheating or not, my perspective is options 1, 2 and 4 are pro tank whilst option 3 is not.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Out of the 8, 2 dont care that it is cheating, therefore being part of the pro tanking collective. "i dont care, if you're not cheating (tanking) your not trying"

not arguing if it is cheating or not, my perspective is options 1, 2 and 4 are pro tank whilst option 3 is not.
I'm bored or I wouldn't be putting up any argument. ;)

The poll question was "is tanking cheating?" If you take away the modifiers and leave just the one word answer, there are two "Yes" and two "No" options to reply. While you're correct in assuming three options are "pro-tank" it's not what the question asked. I'll be so glad when April 12 rolls around.

EDIT: If we look at it your way, the entire poll is skewed towards tanking (with 3 of the 4 options being "pro-tank") and therefore not only invalid but misleading. :p

I believe the question itself is looking for a black or white answer to what is really a gray question.

I would have voted for:

Somehow the system of selection needs to change but thus far that mythical solution has not yet been implemented.