Is next season going to be a tank year?

Should the Kings plan on tanking next season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Because players don't tank entire seasons, especially when they're young and they're playing for their future contracts as well.
I can understand tanking when you are rebuilding and you have players who are not part of your future, but if your roster is almost fully built by 20 y.o. players, what's the point?
Next season we are going to play with 4 sophmores and 3 rookies (maybe four?). Let them play and see how good they are.
If they're good, future is bright. If they're not, you get the high pick you want, with no tanking.
Better start to create a group of guys who know each other, who help each other, and love to play together if possibile.
Stability is important, check out the Spurs when they win lots of games leaving all their best players on the bench.
Keep Joerger, keep Vlade, keep these kids and see how it goes. I'm just afraid as soon as something good is coming up, something bad happens, as always.
Part of tanking is having that much youth, knowing that they won't win you many games to begin with. It's not so much intentional tanking but more so a try out for all the youth to see what the team has moving forward and which ones are expendable.

I can't understand how we can make a push for the playoff with this group of players in 2019, but if we suck badly next year, we can't push for the playoff in 2019 with the same group of players plus a high draft pick in 2018...
Well, winning in the NBA is a learning process, unless your name is LeBron.

If you plan to tank and put the young kids in the position to lose on a nightly basis, they do not learn the proper way to win and close out games. Just throwing them to the wolves, they will not learn the nuances of what small details needs to be worked on and perfected to win games. Young players do not have a switch that they flip, once you get a top 5 pick, and magically win games in the NBA.

The players that will be with the Kings are just as important, if not more important than any player you would draft in 2018. Why impede there learning process and therefore the time frame they can start winning, just for the mere fact of getting more ping pong balls to try and land a top 5 pick?

I think, it is more beneficial to have the players that you have learn the game properly and how to win games now, than to wait a year and hope to win the lottery.

And again, I really think we have some genuine NBA players, with potential all-star caliber (i.e. CJ McCollum level) talent already on the team in Buddy and Skal. We are getting 2 (hopefully) top 10 picks in this years draft too.

The players that we have are just as important as any lottery pick in 2018 is to our future success, why not teach them how to play right and to try and win next year, they will be ahead of the curve come 2019.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Too early.

Need to see what we draft, what we can get from others using cap space for their unwanted goods, if any FA takes a big payday here.
There is no reason to give any type of FA a big pay day considering the current situation the Kings find themselves in. Unless they plan on making the playoffs, sometimes the best moves are making no moves.

There is no reason to give any type of FA a big pay day considering the current situation the Kings find themselves in. Unless they plan on making the playoffs, sometimes the best moves are making no moves.
If you can sign an underrated, youngish (24-25 year old) free agent with upside in free agency, why not?

The Kings have a lot of cap space and need to reach a salary floor. Why not pay a under valued young free agent with upside to come to the Kings this summer and grow with the Kids?

I have said this several times before, but if Rudy opts-out, I would go after Minnesota's SF Shabazz Mohammad. He has shown to be a capable scorer in the league and is stuck behind a future All-Star in Andrew Wiggins in Minnesota. He is a California kid and is still young, 24 years old, so he can still develop into a 16-20 ppg player in the future, if given the chance.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If you can get a quality FA to come to the Kings, you do pull the trigger on the deal, especially if he fills a real need. You don't keep looking for the potential star in the draft if you find a way to get one to come to the team.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
If you can get a quality FA to come to the Kings, you do pull the trigger on the deal, especially if he fills a real need. You don't keep looking for the potential star in the draft if you find a way to get one to come to the team.
okay, tell me then, who in free agency would you bring along that is also a realistic target?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
If you can sign an underrated, youngish (24-25 year old) free agent with upside in free agency, why not?

The Kings have a lot of cap space and need to reach a salary floor. Why not pay a under valued young free agent with upside to come to the Kings this summer and grow with the Kids?

I have said this several times before, but if Rudy opts-out, I would go after Minnesota's SF Shabazz Mohammad. He has shown to be a capable scorer in the league and is stuck behind a future All-Star in Andrew Wiggins in Minnesota. He is a California kid and is still young, 24 years old, so he can still develop into a 16-20 ppg player in the future, if given the chance.
Shabazz Muhammad has been awful since entering the league. He doesn't really fill a void. What other players that are between 24-25 in free agency are realistic options?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
okay, tell me then, who in free agency would you bring along that is also a realistic target?
I don't know. And, to be honest, you're changing the goal posts...again. You said you don't spend money on ANY free agents. I replied that if there is one who fits our needs and wants to come here, we throw money at him. I didn't identify (nor did I need to) any specific players as that wasn't the point I was making.

Shabazz Muhammad has been awful since entering the league. He doesn't really fill a void. What other players that are between 24-25 in free agency are realistic options?
Muhammad has been quietly putting up pretty good stats, but he only gets 19.4 min per game playing behind Andrew Wiggins.

In 19.4 min per game, he averages 10 pts and 3 rebs a game, and he shots a pretty good FG % at .482 and 3pt% at .336.

His per 48 min stats are even better:
24.4 pts/ 7.0 reb /1.1 assist

When you are in the Kings position, you have to look for under valued free agents with upside, because players like Kevin Durant or Chris Paul are not coming to Sacramento.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't know. And, to be honest, you're changing the goal posts...again. You said you don't spend money on ANY free agents. I replied that if there is one who fits our needs and wants to come here, we throw money at him. I didn't identify (nor did I need to) any specific players as that wasn't the point I was making.
I think you misread my post, that's all...so let me explain a bit further here. The point I was trying to make is I don't spend big money on any free agent because the free agents that will be looking for big money won't be coming here anyway. Besides, the Kings aren't in a position to be bringing in win now veterans unless they want to make it a short term deal in similar fashion with Afflalo, Lawson, Temple & Tolliver. That said, the point here is unless you can bring in a young free agent that you don't have to break the bank for, it's better to stay pat IMO and let all the youth the team will bring along next season play together, grow together, play as a cohesive unit, learn & make mistakes together.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Muhammad has been quietly putting up pretty good stats, but he only gets 19.4 min per game playing behind Andrew Wiggins.

In 19.4 min per game, he averages 10 pts and 3 rebs a game, and he shots a pretty good FG % at .482 and 3pt% at .336.

His per 48 min stats are even better:
24.4 pts/ 7.0 reb /1.1 assist

When you are in the Kings position, you have to look for under valued free agents with upside, because players like Kevin Durant or Chris Paul are not coming to Sacramento.
the Kings aren't in a position to be bringing in the likes of a Paul, Millsap, Durant, etc etc. They are in a rebuilding stage, at least I hope. Unless they decide they want to treadmill and win 30 games every season and hurt their draft chances time and time again, then by all means.

All that said, Muhammad really has no use on this team considering a possible drafting of a SF in the draft and possibly having Richardson and possibly Gay play that position if he so chooses to exercise his options. Even if Gay weren't to stick around, I really don't see much upside in Muhammad but to each his own I suppose. If you see the value, I'm not here to tell you that you are right or wrong.

The Kings will be a bottom 5 team next season no question about it. Wins in March/April are very different to wing in December/January.

The team will be very young. Next season should (hopefully will) be about developing players and making sure to make the pick count. Hopefully the Kings can get their franchise guy or two this draft and next before handing over that lottery pick to Philadelphia in 2019.

Shabazz has limitations. His size does not look great. He is not taller/longer than Malachi/Bogdan. This scouting report cites poor court vision and defensive rating--> http://www.canishoopus.com/2016/4/8...at-should-the-wolves-do-with-shabazz-muhammad

He does hit the corner three at a nice%--> http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/muhamsh01.html

The Kings will be a bottom 5 team next season no question about it. Wins in March/April are very different to wing in December/January.

The team will be very young. Next season should (hopefully will) be about developing players and making sure to make the pick count. Hopefully the Kings can get their franchise guy or two this draft and next before handing over that lottery pick to Philadelphia in 2019.
While I agree with you in principle, Joerger and his staff are going to wring every win out of the Kings they can. I would not count on a top 5 pick in 2018:) Also I would not be surprised if a move is made to add a 2019 pick or perhaps stash a player in Europe or the D League who will become available to the Kings in 2019.

Next year, I predict Buddy having an increase in averages across the board, around 16, 5 and 5. I have the same prediction for Skal, that he averages a double double next season (14 and 10). Sadly, as much as I hope I am wrong, I see Richardson staying in single digit scoring average next year. If we are going to have a winning season, that is the core that needs to flourish. I love Trill but hes no leader, Papa has heart. Now if Bogdan can give the team another spark, that is a positive. I see us winning the same amount of games next year. The key is Skal, not Buddy or anyone else. SKAL!!!! so to answer the OP question in such a late fashion. Yes its a tank year. Along with my 49ers.

Wouldn't be the worst year to tank. The bigs, Bamba (#1 on my board right now) Ayton and to a lesser extent Mitchell Robinson could all be major pieces, then you have the likes of Luka Doncic, Michael Porter Jr and Collin Sexton who bring a ton of firepower to the table.

I'd expect what I like to call 'low-key tanking' which involves going for it, but also playing it safe, and if the situation dictates it, pulling the plug late in the season to angle for a top pick.

Wouldn't be the worst year to tank. The bigs, Bamba (#1 on my board right now) Ayton and to a lesser extent Mitchell Robinson could all be major pieces, then you have the likes of Luka Doncic, Michael Porter Jr and Collin Sexton who bring a ton of firepower to the table.

I'd expect what I like to call 'low-key tanking' which involves going for it, but also playing it safe, and if the situation dictates it, pulling the plug late in the season to angle for a top pick.
Exactly the draft is talented and I think we'll walk out with Donic. Our young guys will get a lot of minutes and our vets arnt really game changers. We will be bottom 6 in April and tank the last 5-10 games to insure a top 4 pick.

Adding a Porter or Donic to Skal, WCS, Papa, Bogdan, and Fox will make us all forget about the last decade.

Exactly the draft is talented and I think we'll walk out with Donic. Our young guys will get a lot of minutes and our vets arnt really game changers. We will be bottom 6 in April and tank the last 5-10 games to insure a top 4 pick.

Adding a Porter or Donic to Skal, WCS, Papa, Bogdan, and Fox will make us all forget about the last decade.
Then they're on the precipice of a real overkill scenario, if some injury hurdles arise. lets say they have injures 2 seasons from now, that means they're in the Bagley, Zion Williamson, Romeo Langford (and probably RJ Barrett) sweepstakes.

this is why I'm pretty sure Vlade's been talking about a 2 year outlook. That's plenty of time to overhaul the roster into an embarrassment of young riches..

Then they're on the precipice of a real overkill scenario, if some injury hurdles arise. lets say they have injures 2 seasons from now, that means they're in the Bagley, Zion Williamson, Romeo Langford (and probably RJ Barrett) sweepstakes.

this is why I'm pretty sure Vlade's been talking about a 2 year outlook. That's plenty of time to overhaul the roster into an embarrassment of young riches..
Don't we owe our 1st to Philly in 2019

Don't we owe our 1st to Philly in 2019
Oh yeah. I got ahead of myself. It's not gonna play out like that anyways. Vlade will still be the GM, the plan will work.. They'll be pushing .500, with an average age around 24, by then.

The 2020 draft figures to be very top-heavy as well, there's no Bagley. There's a kid Bryan Antoine in that class who might be the closest thing to Fultz, he's a legit 6'5 and certainly more explosive at the same stage, he's got a teammate Scottie Lewis who was probably the most explosive HS freshman I've ever seen. There should be some serious international talent there too, Kareem Queeley(UK) and Theo Maledon(France).