IPOD Decades Songs Draft - Rankings underway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the delay, no PM...

Having a hard time deciding which way to go with this last 80's pick. But, I've noticed that this band hasn't been represented in either Ipod draft yet, or the Last Band Standing thread, so here we go:

[yt=Run For Your Life]3ZlDZPYzfm4[/yt]

Run to the Hills - Iron Maiden - 80's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_to_the_Hills

Thanks to VF21 for asking me to join this, it was fun! Great draft all, see you in the playoffs!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm glad you had fun! I've already got a couple of ideas for next year's music-themed draft. Maybe go a little deeper into the music vaults.

Anyway, thanks for joining and good luck in the playoffs.

Sorry for the delay, no PM...

Having a hard time deciding which way to go with this last 80's pick. But, I've noticed that this band hasn't been represented in either Ipod draft yet, or the Last Band Standing thread, so here we go:

[yt=Run For Your Life]3ZlDZPYzfm4[/yt]

Run to the Hills - Iron Maiden - 80's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_to_the_Hills

Thanks to VF21 for asking me to join this, it was fun! Great draft all, see you in the playoffs!
Sorry for no PM :eek:...great Maiden pick though

Still a number of directions to go with this last pick. Might as well go with something that will remind me of college (and, no, I was not in school in the 70s):

All Right Now - Free (1970)

[yt=All Right Now]iR2V60yLIaw[/yt]

More, from wikipedia.

Nice pick Francisco. Your list is great!
Thanks same to you. My list would have been a lot better if you did not pick Glycerine the same round I had it teed up (Sackings7 did the same to me with Creep).

I'm sure "one-dimensional" is a fair critique but hey its MY ipod and I like what I like. I considered some hip-hop, country, singalong, linedance, disco, and downright silly campy stuff - but decided to play it straight ahead classic rock the best I could.

Definitely my last 24 round marathon draft. I hope next year somebody invents some more "sprint" type drafts :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay, I've got to do it. I tried not to but it's still available and I cannot help it. With my final pick, I select:

Walk Like An Egyptian - The Bangles - 80s

[yt=Walk Like An Egyptian]BWP-AsG5DRk[/yt]

That reminds me. I think I need to teach the little princesses...

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
This is not really happening
You bet your life it is...
It's really sad to have to make my final pick with like hundreds of songs I want still left. I'm glad my real iPod can hold them all, is all I can say. But, choose I must, and since my list is a bit short on female representation, I will try to rectify that ever so slightly with my final pick. I truly disliked her when she first came out, but that was my fault and not hers...finally something clicked for me and I realized that Tori Amos was pretty darn good. It's tough to pick, but I'm going to go with Cornflake Girl (released 1994).

[yt=Never Was A]odWU7SMpyYg[/yt]

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
And I bring it back to the seventies, having finally decided on my eighth track; I shut it down with:

[yt=So much grace and debonair from one man...]eDCvO2sZlj4[/yt]

The Rubberband Man - The Spinners: Happiness is Being with the Spinners (1976)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Wow, Slim, you had that thing queued up! You might have beat the PM!
Well, yes and no: I had decided on that pick about a week ago, and had already done the write-up and the
HTML:
 tagging, but I wasn't exactly lying in wait. I just happened to log onto the board for the first time tonight about a minute after VF21 made her pick, and I know you pride yourself on making your entries quickly, so I went to the on deck circle.[/COLOR][/FONT]

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay, participants - Now comes the hard part. Rank your competitors. Please send me a list of all the other participants' lists in order of how much you like their list. I'd realy like to have them within the next couple of days so I can get the playoffs started before the holiday break.

Thanks to everyone for participating. I wish I had a broadband connection so I could fully appreciate all the songs you've selected. I've tried to listen to at least part of every single song picked and I'll be honest...I've been pleasantly surprised by some of them that I fully expected not to like at all.

One case in point? I think I like Weezer. ;)

Okay, participants - Now comes the hard part. Rank your competitors. Please send me a list of all the other participants' lists in order of how much you like their list. I'd realy like to have them within the next couple of days so I can get the playoffs started before the holiday break.

Thanks to everyone for participating. I wish I had a broadband connection so I could fully appreciate all the songs you've selected. I've tried to listen to at least part of every single song picked and I'll be honest...I've been pleasantly surprised by some of them that I fully expected not to like at all.

One case in point? I think I like Weezer. ;)
Weezer rules... the Blue Album (Weezer) is one of my top 10 best albums of all time.

Weezer rules... the Blue Album (Weezer) is one of my top 10 best albums of all time.
Weezer does rule!!! Truth be told, if I wasn't trying to go with more variety in the 90's I would have had ATLEAST 3 Weezer tunes in my 90's arsenal.

Ranking will be tough, I honestly could enjoy every list in this draft.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm almost embarrassed to admit that prior to this draft I do not ever remember hearing Weezer. Of course, I was more into couuntry in the 90s but still... I saw them two nights in a row on David Letterman a week or so ago and really enjoyed them.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm still waiting for a couple of more rankings to come in, among them a certain daughter. (HINT! HINT!) If I can have them by tomorrow (Friday) evening, I can work on the first round pairings and get them up on Saturday.

Thanks again to everyone who participated. I've got an idea for a different twist on the draft for next TDOS so stay tuned...

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I'd intended to rank yesterday, but there's flooding around here, and power in my house went out around noon, and has been off ever since. I'm at work right now, and I'll probably end up doing it some time between now and midnight tonight, my time.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Dry is not the problem.

Got off work, went home, power is still out. CJ is with his mother this weekend, so I took a cold shower (since I don't have any hot water, because I have electric), and came back to the office to use the internet. So, I'm going to eat supper, and then I'll get around to doing my rankings.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The results are in as follows:

1. Kingsgirl4 - 58 (1)
2. LPKingsFan - 62 (1)
3. SacKings7 - 63 (2)
4. Capt. Factorial - 68 (2)
5. LoungeLizard - 74 (1)
6. Francisco d'Anconia - 77 (2)
7. D-Mass - 87 (1)
8. VF21 - 88 (2)
9. Jerryaki - 97
10. Jespher - 98
11. NoBonus - 106 (1)
12. ryanandty - 123 (1)
13. Kingzrool - 132
14. Mr. S£im Citrus - 141

Points were awarded with 1 for a first place vote, 2 for second, etc. You were not allowed to vote for yourself. The numbers in parentheses indicate the number of first place votes received.

Since we have 14 "teams," our playoff bracket will have a first-round bye for the first and second place seeds. Thus, Kingsgirl4 and LPKingsFan will sit out and wait for the dust to settle and the second round to begin.

This is the bracketing format I'm using:

14-team bracket

I'm dividing them into two divisions, as shown, and each first round pairing will include one matchup from each division. Stay tuned... I promise it will all make some kind of sense very shortly.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.