Inner Struggle: Bogdanovic vs. Hield

If you were forced to waive one player and keep the other, which one would you keep?

• Bogdan Bogdanovic

• Buddy Hield

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just for fun, I thought I would make a couple threads that pin our own players against each other in regards to who we value more as a fan base.

If you were forced to waive one player and keep the other, which one would you keep?

Bogdanovic vs. Hield

As strange as it is going to sound, if I was forced to cut one of them I would cut Bogdanovic.

To be clear, I want both of them on my team. However, Buddy Hield seems to be that perfect 6th man that every championship-contending team desires. Oftentimes a player like that is more important than two or three of the starters because they can be instant offense when a team desperately needs it.

What is difficult for me is that I believe Bogdan can play two positions with efficiency and maybe even three in a pinch. While Buddy's defense and ball-handling are improving, he is still solidly a one position player.

I just believe that Buddy is the type of player that every contending team needs while Bogdan is a good player.

I’d prefer Hield, but I’d prefer both starting together.

Hield isn’t a bench player and long term that’s not feasible (someone else paying him to start, him possibly not wanting to be a career bench guy)

They should’ve seen if one of them could play SF at the end of last season when we had nothing to lose (jerry Reynolds suggested Buddy start at three, but Bogdan is long with 7 ft wing). Our best statistical lineups had both playing at the same time

I got Buddy/Bogdan/Luka at the 4

If injury doesn't limit his ability, I believe Bogdan will be much better, more consistent next season. Hield is hard worker, he will improve as well. I like both players and I think they should play toghether at 1 and 2 for around 15 minutes per game.

Edited: I forgot, I voted for Bogdan. Assumed he will be fully recovered after surgery.

Last edited:
Very hard. Right now, Bogdan is the better all-around player. Both have their athletic limitations and they're only 1yr apart, so it's hard to say definitively which player has the higher ceiling. However, in the last 22 games, we really needed one of our players to step up and take the lead. Joerger gave them the keys, and I don't think Bogdan took full advantage of the situation, meanwhile Buddy did. Injury may or may not be a factor.

Bogdan: 29.3mins 12.4pts 3.5 asts 3.1rebs 0.8stls 1.3tos 41.4% FG 37.3% 3PT 81.8% FT
Buddy : 28.9mins 15.3pts 2.9asts 4.4rebs 1.5stls 1.9tos 45.3% FG 43.3% 3PT 88.5% FT

What we saw was a very aggressive Buddy Hield who had no problem putting the team on his back when we needed pts. He was very confident in his shot and game. On the other hand, we saw that Bogdan was a bit hesitant to insert himself in at times. He had a couple nights where he'd have a good 1st half, but completely disappeared in the 2nd half. Buddy's scoring ability and mentality has Bogdan beat.

Very very difficult choice. I'm a big fan of Buddy, but I have to give the edge to Bogdan just because he's a more complete player. Bogdan needs to show more scoring instinct and aggressiveness. Buddy needs to do what he did in those last 20 games throughout an entire season. I do blame some of it on Dave Joerger for not allowing Buddy to "blow up" sooner.

Good problem to have. Next year will be a very interesting battle for that starting spot. This won't be a problem until 2020 when both players become FAs at the same time. People keep saying it doesn't matter whether or not you start or come off the bench and often point to Ginoboli, BUT Ginoboli didn't officially come off the bench until his 5th year. By then, the Spurs had already won 2 rings with him on the team. His 3rd ring came immediately during this season too. If you can guarantee Buddy/Bogdan at least 1 ring if they come off the bench, I'm sure they'd be ok with it.

This would be a difficult choice. Hield is on the edge of becoming a star, but Bogie is a better all around player. The edge would go to Bogie because of his intangibles. He is a big reason for Hield's improvement IMO. He also seemed to be the glue that held the team together.

I think there is a good chance Buddy becomes a fairly top flight scorer. Like 22-25 when he hits his prime. That’s my cautious estimate. He has offensive potential for more but the one thing missing from his offense is the ability to get to the line a lot like the biggest scorers do. People tend to undersell him IMO. It’s silly to peg him as a career 6th man after his second year when he does so much well and has shown the right amount of improvement you expect. 24 ISNT GETTING OLD!

He can spot shoot, create his own shot; he rebounds very well for a 2, he can create shots for others, and he works hard defensively and is capable of making nice plays defensively. He’s also has a clutch mentality. He’s just the guy I wish we had when Boogie was here.

So I’d cut Bogdan...Especially if we get Doncic.

Not much conflict. Same position yet completely different roles. They can play together or back each other up effectively.

I think there is a good chance Buddy becomes a fairly top flight scorer. Like 22-25 when he hits his prime. That’s my cautious estimate. He has offensive potential for more but the one thing missing from his offense is the ability to get to the line a lot like the biggest scorers do. People tend to undersell him IMO. It’s silly to peg him as a career 6th man after his second year when he does so much well and has shown the right amount of improvement you expect. 24 ISNT GETTING OLD!

He can spot shoot, create his own shot; he rebounds very well for a 2, he can create shots for others, and he works hard defensively and is capable of making nice plays defensively. He’s also has a clutch mentality. He’s just the guy I wish we had when Boogie was here.

So I’d cut Bogdan...Especially if we get Doncic.

Not much conflict. Same position yet completely different roles. They can play together or back each other up effectively.
I wonder if the FO has considered the negative effect plugging Luka into our rotation would have on Buddy’s development as a ball handler and are not crazy about adding another playmaker. Buddy showed some growth last year despite not playing a ton of minutes with Joegers platoon rotations and if this FO believes he is ready to take that next step I’m not so sure they pounce at adding another playmaking wing. With a stud like Bagley still on the board, I don’t think that’s a risk this FO is in position to take, given our history of terrible player development.

I wonder if the FO has considered the negative effect plugging Luka into our rotation would have on Buddy’s development as a ball handler and are not crazy about adding another playmaker. Buddy showed some growth last year despite not playing a ton of minutes with Joegers platoon rotations and if this FO believes he is ready to take that next step I’m not so sure they pounce at adding another playmaking wing. With a stud like Bagley still on the board, I don’t think that’s a risk this FO is in position to take, given our history of terrible player development.
I think Buddy would benefit greatly from Doncic. Think of how many wide open threes Doncic will get Buddy over the course of a season? Hield has one elite skill, shooting. Doncic has one elite skill, play making. You put the two together and they both get to zone in on what they are best at. I'm glad Buddy seems to be getting better at everything but in the end you want him shooting and what better way to get open shots than to play with a guy who sees the floor like Bogdan on steroids?