Injuries, Christie trade leave Kings' lineup in question

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/12041706p-12911780c.html

[font=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Injuries, Christie trade leave Kings' lineup in question

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Saturday, January 15, 2005

Coach Rick Adelman will wake up today, come to the Kings' practice facility and see who is capable and allowed to play tonight against the Los Angeles Clippers.

It would be good if Doug Christie had reported to his new team, the Orlando Magic, before Friday and taken and passed a physical. That would have allowed the two players, Cuttino Mobley and Michael Bradley, acquired for the former Kings guard to participate in their first practice with their new teammates. It's likely they will play tonight since Christie was on the bench in uniform for Orlando on Friday night in Auburn Hills, Mich.

It also wouldn't be a bad deal if point guard Mike Bibby, who suffered a sprained right ankle Tuesday night during a victory over the Denver Nuggets, is capable of playing against the Clippers. Bibby, who missed Thursday night's victory over the Utah Jazz, said he wanted to try and play in that game but was advised against it by the Kings' medical staff.

Backup center Greg Ostertag received six stitches in the upper lip Thursday after taking an elbow from Utah's Curtis Borchardt but will be ready to go.

And finally, there's swingman Maurice Evans, who suffered a concussion and received 12 stitches in the scalp above the right ear Thursday after landing awkwardly after a late-game, mid-air collision with Utah's Carlos Boozer and Kirk Snyder.

Adelman said Evans was fine this morning, although not allowed to do any work on the court. Evans' availability for tonight's game will be assessed after his condition is reviewed this morning.

"We'll see how he feels," Adelman said of Evans, who was attempting to dunk when met by Snyder and Boozer, whose flagrant foul was changed from one to two. The NBA also fined Boozer $5,000 Friday.

Adelman said it was determined Evans had suffered a "little" hairline fracture in his rib.

"(The medical staff) said as long as he can breathe and he doesn't have any discomfort (Friday), he should be OK," the coach said. "He took a mean fall, but it looks like he'll be OK. ... They'll pad it, and he should be OK."

Evans didn't lose consciousness Thursday but initially couldn't remember during which quarter his head was cut. "He remembers everything now," Adelman said Friday afternoon. "And the good thing (trainer) Pete (Youngman) said was that Maurice never lost consciousness."

[/font]

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Jeesh -- and a cracked rib too? That was a hell of a fall for Evans.

IMHO
Bibby -- should not play, rest the ankle
Evans -- should not play, are you kidding me? Take the night off.
Mobley -- WILL play, and with Bibby/Evans out we'll need him to step right in and play major minutes. This is a career starter. Should be no prob. Just won't know our stuff.

MO has got a fracture :( even if it is a hairline. He shouldn't play. But that should heal eventually. The more important thing is his concussion. Because that is the thing that can have long time ramifications, hope that he gets well soon.

And a very good decision by the NBA to fine Boozer, that would tell him and all others that such play will not be tolerated.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Tag should play but with out the bridge... seeing that stiched up toothless mouth of madness is enough to keep Corry out of the paint for the night, infact I don't think any of the Clips could look at him with out thoughts of Deliverance... will compleetly destroy their game.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
GoSACtown said:
Cuttino Mobley will start tonight, right ?
No way to know for sure until game time. He hasn't been able to practice with the team so, while I'm sure he'll see some playing time, it's a toss-up whether or not he'll start.

i get the feeling its the big-time for matt barnes and special-k tonight. too bad i gotta work late tonight, i woulda liked to have seen the cat's debut, as well as the tribute to the first sacramento-era kings team.