Ideal prospects.

Unless somebody clearly worth it drops again this is going to be a difficult decision for Monte. Perhaps 1 more loss and his summer gets a LOT easier haha. We have to see where the lotto breaks though obviously.
yeah it would be but the fact is it’s his own fault with his deadline moves we don’t have one more loss.

Last edited:
yeah I think that point is true but it’s probably not just those two you have to decide on. But a reasonable chance exists Giddey, and Sengun could also be there. I really wish we had traded H Barnes and had two bites at this apple but our owner is who he is.
Absolutely agree. I think Moody has a chance to be a starter in the NBA for 10+ years, maybe even be a star. And he is one of the youngest players in the draft. Kispert is a great shooter who will likey have even more space in the NBA. Kai Jones is a very athletic center who can score in a variety of ways. He has shown the ability to play defense, but just has to learn to understand what he needs to do better. There are probably another 5-10 players that could also be considered.

Absolutely agree. I think Moody has a chance to be a starter in the NBA for 10+ years, maybe even be a star. And he is one of the youngest players in the draft. Kispert is a great shooter who will likey have even more space in the NBA. Kai Jones is a very athletic center who can score in a variety of ways. He has shown the ability to play defense, but just has to learn to understand what he needs to do better. There are probably another 5-10 players that could also be considered.
yeah I think Moody and Barnes are gone by 9-10 but we shall see. The only predictable about this draft after 6 is it will be unpredictable.

Jalen Johnson is an interesting one depending on if the Kings stay at 9 and who is already off the board.

Pros:

Defense
Rebounding
Point forward potential
Scoring potential

Cons:

Character concerns
Shooting (3pt% is a small sample size coupled with poor FT%)
Turnovers (per40 he's at 4.2 AST/4.7 TO)

He fits some of the biggest needs the Kings have. Defense and rebounding. His point forward abilities may take a few years to hone in but the franchise doesn't really have that luxury to give him the ball and let him find his way. It could potentially neuter his ceiling but at the same time his point forward skills aren't nearly as necessary with the addition of Haliburton and Wright.

I think two things need to happen for him to be a 10 year role player. His character concerns need to be over and done with and his shooting needs to improve. That gets him into solid 3&D territory. If he can develop his point forward skills to be somewhere in the range of a 2/1 assist to turnover ratio, now he's elevated himself into the Gordon Hayward level potentially.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I'm taking him over any of the other SF/PF prospects unless league intel says that he definitely has character concerns that make him too risky.
I'm with you. He's frankly at the top of my board if they don't jump.

Yeah, he could miss but I'm not really concerned about missing at 9 compared to missing at 2 and missing at 2 with the league's next great player sitting on the board. Yeah, someone in the late lottery will likely turn into a star but it's always a less exact science drafting there. The issue will always be that they put themselves into the position where they're sitting at this pick in the first place.

There's nothing wrong with Wagner as a prospect but he's just the middling, backend lottery prospect that treadmill teams like the Kings have as their option and I couldn't be less enthusiastic at the prospect that Franz Wagner is what we have to hitch our wagon to.

Yeah, he could miss but I'm not really concerned about missing at 9 compared to missing at 2 and missing at 2 with the league's next great player sitting on the board. Yeah, someone in the late lottery will likely turn into a star but it's always a less exact science drafting there. The issue will always be that they put themselves into the position where they're sitting at this pick in the first place.

There's nothing wrong with Wagner as a prospect but he's just the middling, backend lottery prospect that treadmill teams like the Kings have as their option and I couldn't be less enthusiastic at the prospect that Franz Wagner is what we have to hitch our wagon to.
I'm in complete agreement there. Wagner fits a lot of the check boxes that the Kings need other than being the type of talent that can carry the team at times. Unlike a lot of people, I think he actually has a low floor as well. Nothing I've seen about his game tells me that he's a lock as a rotational player.

Jalen Johnson obviously isn't either. I could easily see him being the same type of player as Louis King. It's just you can see him being a Gordon Hayward type as well but he has to improve on more things than Wagner does in order to reach his potential. But as we know, his potential is much greater than Wagner's.

In car speak, the Kings still need to upgrade what's under the hood. Putting nice wheels and tires on it isn't going to help with anything as long as the power plant is still under powered. They've made the same mistake for years. They always think they're done building and need to go out and make a run at it. It costs them a shot at better talent every time they try and do this. Hopefully McNair doesn't continue this trend of thinking this team is a roleplayer away from success.

He kind of is but maybe that's not really a bad thing in context. I don't think to back to back drafts of Haliburton and Wagner would do anything but help this team. If this team didn't have De'Aaron Fox and to an extent Marvin Bagley on it I would say the Kings have a TON of work to do in terms of upside and pure talent level but while those are two (Haliburton and Wagner) players that probably won't be franchise talent they can be darn valuable to a team winning. They play the game the right way and in ways that are valuable now more than ever. Pick and roll guards that can shoot and play SG and skilled combo F's are just getting more and more valuable as time goes on. I mean look at the playoffs. While the Kings were running 4 combo guards like it was going out of style the teams with size on the wing and playmakers were feasting.

He kind of is but maybe that's not really a bad thing in context. I don't think to back to back drafts of Haliburton and Wagner would do anything but help this team. If this team didn't have De'Aaron Fox and to an extent Marvin Bagley on it I would say the Kings have a TON of work to do in terms of upside and pure talent level but while those are two (Haliburton and Wagner) players that probably won't be franchise talent they can be darn valuable to a team winning. They play the game the right way and in ways that are valuable now more than ever. Pick and roll guards that can shoot and play SG and skilled combo F's are just getting more and more valuable as time goes on. I mean look at the playoffs. While the Kings were running 4 combo guards like it was going out of style the teams with size on the wing and playmakers were feasting.

Memphis has one franchise talent ( I’m not including JJJ until he stays healthy and produces regularly) and they made the playoffs with a roster full of good players. I think people are too focused on swinging for the fences when in reality we need a bunch of really good winning players. Fox will be an all star next year and I still think people are sleeping on Hali. We won’t fix this in one draft at 9 in all likelihood. We need a trade, growth from our current players and 2-3 more plus rotational pieces to get this turned around.

Bleacher Report's mock (today) has us with Scottie Barnes at 9.
That would be okay. Ive been a little concerned that Barnes, Moses Moody and Keon Johnson are all likely gone by 9. Those three all seem like potential good fits with our team and difference makers.
I see they have Jalen Johnson going 6 which I hope is the case. With the occasional exception, I’m cautious about Duke players.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
That would be okay. Ive been a little concerned that Barnes, Moses Moody and Keon Johnson are all likely gone by 9. Those three all seem like potential good fits with our team and difference makers.
I see they have Jalen Johnson going 6 which I hope is the case. With the occasional exception, I’m cautious about Duke players.
Getting Barnes would be exceptional

Memphis has one franchise talent ( I’m not including JJJ until he stays healthy and produces regularly) and they made the playoffs with a roster full of good players. I think people are too focused on swinging for the fences when in reality we need a bunch of really good winning players. Fox will be an all star next year and I still think people are sleeping on Hali. We won’t fix this in one draft at 9 in all likelihood. We need a trade, growth from our current players and 2-3 more plus rotational pieces to get this turned around.
I honestly don't think the Kings are that far off talentwise. Their biggest problem was defense. When they played defense. They played like a playoff team. When they didn't, they were beat by some of the worst teams in the league. Get this team to consistently play solid defense and they will contend for the playoffs IMO. We will see if they can do that.

Nice post. Agree we are not that far off from being a playoff team. And from a team building point of view I agree that good quality role players/ rotation pieces would help us along.

I honestly don't think the Kings are that far off talentwise. Their biggest problem was defense. When they played defense. They played like a playoff team. When they didn't, they were beat by some of the worst teams in the league. Get this team to consistently play solid defense and they will contend for the playoffs IMO. We will see if they can do that.
Agree. I think acquiring someone who can fill a complementary role on offence and make plays defensively would be a great addition to the team. The players we do have obviously need to do better as well.

I thought they got a few players that were more physical at the trade deadline. As for wilting, they were a good 4th quarter team and Fox & Halliburton were both really good 4th quarter players.
I think that's true as well. I do like the physicality of our trade deadline pick ups. And maybe true not just in the sense of the specific additions, but having a few more bodies out there keeps the fatigue low and gives you a few more looks to throw out there.

We still haven't seen all pieces together on the court for a prolonged period and there were a few iterations of the squad that competed at the end of the season. So I guess our identity as a team is still pending. When we do find it, I do hope that physicality and defence is more than just a second thought.

Yeah I wonder about Kai Jones, he certainly has the tools to replace Holmes if he bolts, though he might need to bulk up a bit.
Is BB knowledge a question? We already have one player from the Bahamas that makes questionable decisions and I’m honestly not sure how young they start or how big basketball even is there.

Hard to play defense well when your offense so heavily features one guy trying to force drives one on three and the turnovers that result leading to easy 3 on 1 looks in transition the other way.

I’m not sure Memphis makes the play-offs this year if Golden State is healthy or New Orleans has a competent coach.

to compete next year we need.

1) we need growth from Hali and Fox.
2) to not lose Holmes for nothing
3) for Bagley to figure things out.

or

to get Lucky in the lottery again and not F it up.

Even at that you are going to play a Golden State team with Steph/Klay/Draymond, Wiseman with a summer and training camp and two lottery pick one at likely 7.

or a New Orleans team Zion, and Ingram.