Ideal prospects.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I still say Scottie Barnes but he probably won't be there at 9. He's a versatile defender with size who can run your offense and roll on pick and roll. The Kings have to get some players that fit in and can defend.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I like Franz Wagner a lot for his size and all around game, fills a need at wing. But I’d also be equally as happy with Usman Garuba or Moses Moody
I'm not a huge fan of Williams but there should be a wing or two available at 9 and decent prospects at that including Williams. I still think if Giddey is there he's worth the gamble.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I too really enjoy Giddeys game but I wonder if he is the right addition for this team I think we need a player with more defensive potential idk
He's not a perfect fit but the talent is worth it and he's got the size to play next to Fox and Haliburton. If he were smaller I'd say no way but he has to be on the big board based on talent alone. I think the Kings are in a position to gamble on potential if the player has size.

I'm not a huge fan of Williams but there should be a wing or two available at 9 and decent prospects at that including Williams. I still think if Giddey is there he's worth the gamble.
What's interesting is I don't think there's really anything close to a consensus of prospects from 6 on. Seems like there's legit like 10-12 guys who can go at 6 and it wouldn't be totally crazy.

It sounds like Cade and Mobley are the closest to ideal prospects for this team but we have a <10% chance of getting one of them.

I do like Giddey, who has great passing, a good feel for the game on offence, and the size to play on the wing. I wouldn't describe him as ideal as his shooting is still developing and his defense will need work.

I haven't watched college ball either - but from what I have read/ heard - it does seem like there are some good prospects that - although not ideal - could help on both sides of the ball. Scottie Barnes sounds like he has great feel for the game, is a good passer, has a good body, and is a strong defender. He also played alongside Tyrese at the junior worlds and had a great, supportive attitude. His shot and his scoring in the half court are not great. Franz Wagner has good size, projects to be at least a good spot up shooter, and had good defensive impact in college. His feel on offense is a question mark and he may not be more than a 3&D guy.

Usman Guraba has good pedigree as a young player from Real Madrid who is talented defensively. His height isn't ideal if you want him to play the five. Offensively - I don't know.

Most of the posters here seem to think Kuminga - who played in the G League - to be a good fit for the Kings.

It sounds like Cade and Mobley are the closest to ideal prospects for this team but we have a <10% chance of getting one of them.

I do like Giddey, who has great passing, a good feel for the game on offence, and the size to play on the wing. I wouldn't describe him as ideal as his shooting is still developing and his defense will need work.

I haven't watched college ball either - but from what I have read/ heard - it does seem like there are some good prospects that - although not ideal - could help on both sides of the ball. Scottie Barnes sounds like he has great feel for the game, is a good passer, has a good body, and is a strong defender. He also played alongside Tyrese at the junior worlds and had a great, supportive attitude. His shot and his scoring in the half court are not great. Franz Wagner has good size, projects to be at least a good spot up shooter, and had good defensive impact in college. His feel on offense is a question mark and he may not be more than a 3&D guy.

Usman Guraba has good pedigree as a young player from Real Madrid who is talented defensively. His height isn't ideal if you want him to play the five. Offensively - I don't know.

Most of the posters here seem to think Kuminga - who played in the G League - to be a good fit for the Kings.
I like Giddey also though we shall see if he reaches 9 or 10 which will be our spot unless we are lucky.

almost everyone from 6 down ( even 5 down with Kuminga) has some question marks. The combine and interviews are going to be huge this year. It will be interesting to see Sengun’s measurements.

at our spot Jalen Johnson is another player we will likely want to consider. He had a bad freshman year at Duke but the kid has talent.

Last edited:
I

I really like both Moses Moody and Jalen Johnson, both of whom could be there when the Kings pick (if they don't move up).

I'm growing quite a bit on Wagner, after diving into him a bit more. I always hate the "compare a white dude to a white dude" cliche, but he really does have shades of Joe Ingles on defense with his super long arms along with great size. He looks as close to an ideal defender you'd want to defend the 3/4 flex spot as you could find in the NBA. He'd be a day 1 starter while allowing Barnes to go down to his more natural position at the 4 full-time. Fox-Hali-Wagner-Barnes has a ton of versatility potential on both ends.

outside of top 4 picks, my take is:

wagner - probably best fit
scottie barnes - if he slips to 9th spot
giddey

we need defence, high IQ and passing

kispert, IDK, i have some bad gut feeling about him, despite positives from scouting reports
keon johnson - sloppy TO's concerns me and decisions making... probably out of our reach, like barnes
kuminga - too raw and out of our reach
garuba - poor shooting and not a lottery pick

I like Giddey also though we shall see if he reaches 9 or 10 which will be our spot unless we are lucky.

almost everyone from 6 down ( even 5 down with Kuminga) has some question marks. The combine and interviews are going to be huge this year. It will be interesting to see Sengun’s measurements.

at our spot Jalen Johnson is another player we will likely want to consider. He had a bad freshman year at Duke but the kid has talent.
Wouldn't touch Johnson unless it was after pick 20. Dude crumbled and quit when coach K got on him.

outside of top 4 picks, my take is:

wagner - probably best fit
scottie barnes - if he slips to 9th spot
giddey

we need defence, high IQ and passing

kispert, IDK, i have some bad gut feeling about him, despite positives from scouting reports
keon johnson - sloppy TO's concerns me and decisions making... probably out of our reach, like barnes
kuminga - too raw and out of our reach
garuba - poor shooting and not a lottery pick
yeah I would have loved Garuba at 16 if we had the Celts pick but at 9/10 seems to high. Depending on how he measures ( is he 6’ 10” barefoot) Sengun has to be considered.

Regardless we are going to have a pretty good feel of Monte’s drafting prowess after next year. Likely at least one potential All-Star resides in picks 6-16. I just have no idea which one. I would really hate to see us trade the pick for a short term attempt at making the playin and losing there.

If you think I dislike Monte now.......

I'm growing quite a bit on Wagner, after diving into him a bit more. I always hate the "compare a white dude to a white dude" cliche, but he really does have shades of Joe Ingles on defense with his super long arms along with great size. He looks as close to an ideal defender you'd want to defend the 3/4 flex spot as you could find in the NBA. He'd be a day 1 starter while allowing Barnes to go down to his more natural position at the 4 full-time. Fox-Hali-Wagner-Barnes has a ton of versatility potential on both ends.
yeah I agree. I see him like Hayward with Secondary Ball handler potential.

yeah I would have loved Garuba at 16 if we had the Celts pick but at 9/10 seems to high. Depending on how he measures ( is he 6’ 10” barefoot) Sengun has to be considered.

Regardless we are going to have a pretty good feel of Monte’s drafting prowess after next year. Likely at least one potential All-Star resides in picks 6-16. I just have no idea which one. I would really hate to see us trade the pick for a short term attempt at making the playin and losing there.

If you think I dislike Monte now.......
I would think that unless it is a no brainer and I don't see a no brainer available for our piddly offerings........ you won't be alone on that wagon if they would be so stupid. With Vivek as owner I wouldn't put it past him.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
my ideal prospect is any of them who will come in and play good defense, offense is not the issue
Agreed! At this point, all I care about is defense. We can't afford to draft another player who is a liability on defense. Some franchises always go after offensively challenged prospects who excel defensively (Orlando and Charlotte immediately come to mind) and we always go after defensively challenged prospects who excel at scoring. I can only hope that 15 years of banging our heads against the wall wondering why we suck at defense might spur some kind of a change in philosophy, regardless of who is currently managing the front office.

Agreed! At this point, all I care about is defense. We can't afford to draft another player who is a liability on defense. Some franchises always go after offensively challenged prospects who excel defensively (Orlando and Charlotte immediately come to mind) and we always go after defensively challenged prospects who excel at scoring. I can only hope that 15 years of banging our heads against the wall wondering why we suck at defense might spur some kind of a change in philosophy, regardless of who is currently managing the front office.
If it's any consolation, almost every player that Monte has acquired or shown interest in has been good defensively. He seems to look for defense and basketball IQ.

I'm a big Davion Mitchell fan. He gets after it on defense. I think he'd make our team way tougher, we need a guy like him, I think he's a winner

I'm a big Davion Mitchell fan. He gets after it on defense. I think he'd make our team way tougher, we need a guy like him, I think he's a winner
But you are essentially limiting him from the get go as a limited backup unless injury occurs. Also age wise he's a bit tapped out although he could definitely help the team in a lot of ways.

But you are essentially limiting him from the get go as a limited backup unless injury occurs. Also age wise he's a bit tapped out although he could definitely help the team in a lot of ways.
You would probably have to trade someone, perhaps Hield ? I think Fox Hali and Mitchell would be able to hold their own on D right ? Very versatile on offense too. This is assuming Delon and T-Davis are kept. Or lose T-Davis through free agency and have Buddy backup

You would probably have to trade someone, perhaps Hield ? I think Fox Hali and Mitchell would be able to hold their own on D right ? Very versatile on offense too. This is assuming Delon and T-Davis are kept. Or lose T-Davis through free agency and have Buddy backup
I think it’s going to be hard to unload Buddy considering his contract. I would love for him to accept a bench role for this next year and then maybe move him for a better opportunity after that season when his deal is more palatable.

low IQ, not taking ownership of his crap and moving somewhere else....
I'm not sure what to make of that situation. I had no problem with his basketball IQ & I agreed that he was being poorly used at Duke. I think Coach K is a great college coach, but has yet to figure out how to coach one-&-done prospects. The only one he truly had success with was Tatum and that had some to do with his ability to fit into almost any scheme. He is better when he has them for several years.

The test will be to see how well he used his time to prepare for the NBA. If he truly has been working with trainers & coaches to improve his game and body for the NBA, it could end up being a good decision. There is no doubt that he has good size, athleticism, & skillset to be a good NBA player. The question to be answered is his head. Research and interviews will be important.