Huge Gamble

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
G_M said:
Not only that but Webber had a NO TRADE clause in his contract which he waived. However, I'm sure he's not waiving it to play in Toronto or numerous other cities that may have had a STUD to offer in return.

So, the possible trade scenarios are not as great as some on this board would have you think. That is the genius of it!
He did NOT have a "No Trade" clause in his contract. What he had was a 15% trade kicker, meaning he could insist on being paid 15% of his remaining contract up front. It was the 15% kicker that Webber waived.

VF21 said:
He did NOT have a "No Trade" clause in his contract. What he had was a 15% trade kicker, meaning he could insist on being paid 15% of his remaining contract up front. It was the 15% kicker that Webber waived.
that's true, but I thought (and I could be wrong) that if he invoked the kicker the salaries would have been off & this particular trade couldn't have happened? Is that correct?? I don't remember where I heard it.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
love_them_kings said:
that's true, but I thought (and I could be wrong) that if he invoked the kicker the salaries would have been off & this particular trade couldn't have happened? Is that correct?? I don't remember where I heard it.
Given the way it played out, I supect the same deal could have been worked out without us giving up Barnes/Bradley, and with one more salary from the Sixers (Kevin Ollie perhaps). Might almost have been better for us in a way.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
love_them_kings said:
Yep. I read somewhere that Webber reportedly said that he felt if he didn't have the kicker he would have already been gone, so he accepted this trade because he'd be playing with Iverson...

VF21 said:
Yep. I read somewhere that Webber reportedly said that he felt if he didn't have the kicker he would have already been gone, so he accepted this trade because he'd be playing with Iverson...
thanks, that's what I thought. All in all, I think Webb handled the trade with class. I think he has too much pride to play where he doesn't feel wanted, or to hold the team back from a move they wanted to make.

Čarolija said:
I keep asking a simple question but I never get the answer, As a kings fan would you give up more than Philly did if the roles were reversed?????? My answer would be no. Woudl you want us to pick up a player with a huge contract and a serious knee issues and pay a lot in terms of trade currency?????? I doubt anyone would say yes to this.
Depends on the situation that the team is in that is receiving CWebb. In this instance, I think Philly made a mistake in shipping off the three veteran guys that they shipped. With CWebb, you have to recognize that even if he doesn't get injured, your window is probably 2.5 years (this season and the next two) at which he can continue to perform at this level. I also think that Philly was under the gun to get something done with AI as unhappy as he was, so that may have helped GP's bargaining position as well (or maybe it only allowed him to get *this* much out of the trade).

With that assumption in mind, shouldn't Philly be trying to win now? And if that's the case, why get rid of a guy like Corliss (who provides pretty consistent bench scoring) that O'Brien liked and would actually play? To see if Willie Green or John Salmons will develop? Does CWebb have the time for that?

I know Billy King didn't want to give up any of his "young talent", but I think Petrie might have massaged one of these young guys (don't know if the Kings were even interested in Green or Salmons) out of Philly if he really put the logic in front of Billy King (although he probably didn't want to frighten him off with the whole short window of effectiveness point).

Looking over the league, there aren't a ton of teams that are just one effective player away from being a championship contender, and that would be the instance where I think GP might have been able to get a bit more for CWebb.

As it turns out, trading CWebb effectively closed the Kings' window for this year, and cracked the playoff window for Philly.

The other thing that I think is a gamble is betting on Peja returning to his performance level of last year. Vlade's not around anymore, neither is DC, and Bibby has been playing really well offensively. If anyone's ppg skyrockets, I'd put my money on Bibby at this point. Much easier for Miller to step into the two-man game Bibby and CWebb had going at this point of the season anyway.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Čarolija said:
I keep asking a simple question but I never get the answer, As a kings fan would you give up more than Philly did if the roles were reversed?????? My answer would be no. Woudl you want us to pick up a player with a huge contract and a serious knee issues and pay a lot in terms of trade currency?????? I doubt anyone would say yes to this.
It isn't a simple question, which could be why you aren't receiving an answer. In fact, it's pretty much of an unanswerable question because the roles cannot be reversed.

There are a LOT of huge contracts out there. Webber's was simply one of the first. In the next few years, you're going to see a lot of teams in similar situations, but hopefully they won't have to go through the agony of seeing their super-star crumple in a heap on the floor first.

For whatever reasons, Petrie decided he had to take the offer right now. We don't know yet if it will end up being the right decision. IF Webber goes on to post acceptable numbers for the next couple of years WITHOUT significant down time because of his knee then it might not have been the right decision unless Petrie had simply decided the team as structured was NOT going to go much further. We'll all just have to wait and see, won't we?

4cwebb said:
The other thing that I think is a gamble is betting on Peja returning to his performance level of last year. Vlade's not around anymore, neither is DC, and Bibby has been playing really well offensively. If anyone's ppg skyrockets, I'd put my money on Bibby at this point. Much easier for Miller to step into the two-man game Bibby and CWebb had going at this point of the season anyway.
That I agree with whole-heartedly.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the off-season.

VF21 said:
It isn't a simple question, which could be why you aren't receiving an answer. In fact, it's pretty much of an unanswerable question because the roles cannot be reversed.

There are a LOT of huge contracts out there. Webber's was simply one of the first. In the next few years, you're going to see a lot of teams in similar situations, but hopefully they won't have to go through the agony of seeing their super-star crumple in a heap on the floor first.

For whatever reasons, Petrie decided he had to take the offer right now. We don't know yet if it will end up being the right decision. IF Webber goes on to post acceptable numbers for the next couple of years WITHOUT significant down time because of his knee then it might not have been the right decision unless Petrie had simply decided the team as structured was NOT going to go much further. We'll all just have to wait and see, won't we?
It is a simple question because what it boils down to is whether or not you are prepared to take the risk?

If Kings now decided to trade for someone like Allan Houston would you want them to trade some real quality to get him? I am not saying Houston is as good as Webber. He is not good enough to tie Webber's shoe laces but the situation is similar in that both are suffering from same injury and both are on same money.

Purely from business managment point of view you would have to be one brave GM to take on such a risk.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't like to play "what if."

It ISN'T a simple question. It is a question with multiple variables, and too many intangibles.

Comparing Houston to Webber and saying they're "suffering from same injury" is incorrect. Both HAD similar injuries BUT Houston came back too quickly, didn't follow the proper rehab regimen, etc.

I'm not going to argue about it because it's moot. But, for the record, it's NOT a simple question AND it wasn't an easy choice for Petrie to make.

SacTownKid said:
Oh, I think things are a little different now than before. Did you see the smile on Pejas face after the Orlandogame. I think he liked not having Webber out there on the floor and being able to be the guy in the last few seconds.

If Sacramento wants him to be their "guy", I wouldn't bet against him staying.
He was smiling after that game? What the hell was there to smile about? We lost, to a struggling East Coast team, but Peja is giddy about getting the chance to take the last shot? Is that what you think?
Just to play a little devil's advocate here, what if Peja decides being the 'Man' without Vlade or Chris really isn't what he wants to do, or all that easy? What if the things he said about wanting to move on because he thought this teams window had closed actually WAS the reason he wanted a trade? Do you think the current situation is more tempting for him to stay?

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Kingsgurl said:
He was smiling after that game? What the hell was there to smile about? We lost, to a struggling East Coast team, but Peja is giddy about getting the chance to take the last shot? Is that what you think?
Just to play a little devil's advocate here, what if Peja decides being the 'Man' without Vlade or Chris really isn't what he wants to do, or all that easy? What if the things he said about wanting to move on because he thought this teams window had closed actually WAS the reason he wanted a trade? Do you think the current situation is more tempting for him to stay?
If that was really the reason Peja wanted a trade (and I have no reason to disbelieve it...i.e. I believe him to be an honest man) then the current situation is definitely not more tempting. I do not believe Peja can be the "Man" unless the Kings pick up some good passers (and screen setters) in the off-season. Peja is exceptional at his movement and cutting without the ball, but he must have a player or two who can get the ball to him while he is moving. As a big man, Vlade was unparalleled at that. DC could also be counted on to get the ball to Peja by "threading the needle." CWebb is also an exceptional passer, but alas, he too is now gone.

To be the "Man" on any team, Peja relies on other players to help him. Not a knock on Peja, just an acknowledgement of the type of player he is. So, someone who passes well has to work with Peja and get the timing down. Unless there is some kind of trade to accomplish this in the off-season, I just don't see it happening. Hope I am wrong. At any rate, I think people should not "assume" that Peja will re-sign just because CWebb is gone.

Kingsgurl said:
no, if that was he real reason then I don't think the current situation is any better. But, Peja did say the day after the Webb trade that he wants to stay in Sacramento, and Maloof said that Peja wanted to stay as well. So, whatever his reason, it seems like he's changed his mind.

So, basically, you are saying you believe Peja was unhappy about not being the 'man' and decided the best way to deal with it was to try to force a trade, and that he basically lied when asked about the reasoning behind it. That, even if the team continues to struggle and LOSE, Peja will be happy enough to stay just because he doesn't have to share the ball with big bad Webber?
I don't think I like that assessment of Peja's character OR competitive fire.

Kingsgurl said:
So, basically, you are saying you believe Peja was unhappy about not being the 'man' and decided the best way to deal with it was to try to force a trade, and that he basically lied when asked about the reasoning behind it. That, even if the team continues to struggle and LOSE, Peja will be happy enough to stay just because he doesn't have to share the ball with big bad Webber?
That is all speculation. We don't live in Peja's head and I don't think you can judge his character by all the local and national media making something of nothing.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think what Kingsgurl was trying to say is that some people are assigning feelings, etc. to Peja.

Read her last comment again.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
BigWaxer said:
That is all speculation. We don't live in Peja's head and I don't think you can judge his character by all the local and national media making something of nothing.
Agreed, BW. In all fairness, I don't think Kingsgurl was judging Peja's character in that way, hence all of her questions. However, if all that were true (and I don't believe that it is), it would certainly not say much for his character, would it?

VF21 said:
I think what Kingsgurl was trying to say is that some people are assigning feelings, etc. to Peja.

Read her last comment again.
I read it wrong, I was in a hurry to get outside and damnit why am I not outside yet?

Kingsgurl said:
no, I don't mean that at all. I do believe that there was an on court issue between Webb & Peja (Maloof admitted there was a rift, and I think it is more on court than off), and issues always have two sides, not one. I don't think Peja ever requested Webb be traded, I think Peja expected to be traded. I don't think Peja lied about the reasoning behind the trade, he mentioned the official reasons, and the unofficial reason that they wanted to build the team around the younger players. I just don't think the two were co-existing well, and I think the choice to build around a younger healthier player is much more prudent long term. I think Peja may be happier with Webb gone (which isn't a crime by the way), and may be more patient with the regrouping that this team has to do to be one of the best teams in the NBA again. I think Peja wants to win, but I don't think he's a spoiled brat that will bail on the team just because he doesn't think there is a chance of a championship.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
WHEN are we going to move forward?

Webber is gone. Peja is here. He is wearing the uniform of the Sacramento Kings. NONE of us know what he was thinking; we don't know what he and his agent requested; etc. And you know what? IT DOESN'T MATTER!

Peja Stojakovic is #16 for the Sacramento Kings. I don't care if he wants to be here or not; I don't care if he's happy or sad. All I care about is that he is being paid to do a job and I want to see him do it.

Last summer he requested a trade and said it was because he thought it would be best for him and the team. Well, that ship sailed. Now the ONLY thing that is best for this team is if Peja and every other player wearing the uniform sucks it up and plays - and gives their best every night.

We've been mired in drama, reports of drama, allegations in the media, etc. for way too long.

We need to get back to being Kings fans and supporting the guys in the uniforms. That doesn't mean, however, that we can't be critical of them. Peja is subject to the same scrutiny as every other player on this team. More now, perhaps, because people don't have Webber's every word, action, nuance, etc. to dissect.

GO KINGS!!!!!