How many Games This Year?

How many games will Chris play this season?

Votes: 6 7.1%

Votes: 13 15.3%

Votes: 40 47.1%

Votes: 26 30.6%

• Total voters
quick dog said:
You folks must be smoking crack or something. I have always considered myself to be an optimist, but now I will have to think a bit longer about it.
So everybody is smoking crack....right ;)

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I'd love to be optimistic, but I am a natural pessimist.

Webber will have a "severely sprained ankle" and will miss a significant amount of time with that.

Also, I think he knee will begin to wear down near the end of the season, resuting in either missed games, or very limited minutes.

So my guess: Between 50 and 60.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
quick dog said:
You folks must be smoking crack or something. I have always considered myself to be an optimist, but now I will have to think a bit longer about it.
You started a poll wanting people's best guesses. I agree with Slim. And what's wrong with being optimistic and hopeful?

Chris will be on the bench a significiant amount of time by Christmas.
I disagree.

Heuge said:
So everybody is smoking crack....right ;)
No, just the 30% who voted that they believed he'd play 75 or more games this season. :)

Seriously, I think QD's question in the poll was how many games do you think CWebb WILL play in this season, not how many games you WANT/HOPE he'll be able to play in this season.

quick dog said:
How many games will Chris play this season? I say 30.
I'm slightly more optomistic than QD but not by much. I voted for 45. That's roughly 1/2 of the games. He's missed 40% of training camp already and from a quote by Mike Bibby, he wasn't pushing himself in anything other than drills prior to the two days he missed. Per Chris in response; he's "saving himself". OK, good. But when you have the media in camp and feel that you have give everyone an "ooooooh" moment (possibly in response to Mike's comment or because you were shown up by Darius the day before), then have to take two days off afterwards, that doesn't sound good to me. That's not a 48 minute game of all out effort. It didn't follow a previous game of 30-40 minutes of all out effort 1-3 days prior either. That move was made after a summer of further rehab, after taking the first three days of training camp easy (not my opinion, but Mike Bibby's assessment in the Bee article). That is very scary to me as a Kings fan.

I'm not saying he SHOULD go all out in training camp, I'm trying to objectively look at what Chris says about his health, effort, and mobility vs. what his teamates and coach say about his mobility and effort (because they can't know his health). Once again, I feel questions in my mind between what Chris says and what happens after he says it.

His talent and charm are so great that I'm still a semi-believer in him. Honestly? If any other Kings player said the things he said and then did the things he does, I'd be a certified hater....I swear after Pollard's rant on TV which followed the JB booing, I never ever felt the same about him and knew/felt that he'd end up being traded. If Peja had done what Scot did, I'd feel the same way about Peja. It's disloyal and childish to react that way publicly.

Before I get slammed, I don't like the fact that Peja asked for a trade this summer. I repeat ASKED for a trade. He didn't go all drama queen, he showed up for camp and he politely answered questions saying he still felt the same way but he had a contract to honor. And yet, he was ridiculed on this fan site for lacking huevos for showing up in camp. I just don't understand.

I guess it's the way VF feels about CW, so many people are so negatively charged about him that she feels she must defend him. Just as she feels so many fans are so positively charged on Peja's behalf that she must challenge their beliefs. I'm not calling her, or anyone else, out. I just thought that was an interesting comment she made and it stuck with me. (BTW, I love your new sig about sliding into the grave sideways :D ). In the reverse mode, I think some of us Kings fans are so incensed over Webber's past misdeeds and empty promises that we are similarly upset over the (as we see it) blind homerism of some of the Webber supporters. I WANT the guy to do well, but I just can't find it in myself to believe him anymore without outside substantiation of his claims/promises. That's my problem with scepticism re: CWebb. Once again, if I look at things as rationally as I can and attempt to be impartial...if I substitute any other Kings player's name with the numerous things attributed to Chris over the years, I'd be a dyed in the wool hater of that player by now...and yet, I still want and hope for Chris to succeed because he plays for "my" team.

Wow, I am so far afield, I don't even know if I can find my own way back to the topic...

So, oh yes, QD's question. How many games do you think CW will play this year, not how many games you hope he'll play this year. That's another poll for somebody else to post!

Cheers,
KK!

kingskings! said:
No, just the 30% who voted that they believed he'd play 75 or more games this season. :)

Seriously, I think QD's question in the poll was how many games do you think CWebb WILL play in this season, not how many games you WANT/HOPE he'll be able to play in this season.

I'm slightly more optomistic than QD but not by much. I voted for 45. That's roughly 1/2 of the games. He's missed 40% of training camp already and from a quote by Mike Bibby, he wasn't pushing himself in anything other than drills prior to the two days he missed. Per Chris in response; he's "saving himself". OK, good. But when you have the media in camp and feel that you have give everyone an "ooooooh" moment (possibly in response to Mike's comment or because you were shown up by Darius the day before), then have to take two days off afterwards, that doesn't sound good to me. That's not a 48 minute game of all out effort. It didn't follow a previous game of 30-40 minutes of all out effort 1-3 days prior either. That move was made after a summer of further rehab, after taking the first three days of training camp easy (not my opinion, but Mike Bibby's assessment in the Bee article). That is very scary to me as a Kings fan.

I'm not saying he SHOULD go all out in training camp, I'm trying to objectively look at what Chris says about his health, effort, and mobility vs. what his teamates and coach say about his mobility and effort (because they can't know his health). Once again, I feel questions in my mind between what Chris says and what happens after he says it.

His talent and charm are so great that I'm still a semi-believer in him. Honestly? If any other Kings player said the things he said and then did the things he does, I'd be a certified hater....I swear after Pollard's rant on TV which followed the JB booing, I never ever felt the same about him and knew/felt that he'd end up being traded. If Peja had done what Scot did, I'd feel the same way about Peja. It's disloyal and childish to react that way publicly.

Before I get slammed, I don't like the fact that Peja asked for a trade this summer. I repeat ASKED for a trade. He didn't go all drama queen, he showed up for camp and he politely answered questions saying he still felt the same way but he had a contract to honor. And yet, he was ridiculed on this fan site for lacking huevos for showing up in camp. I just don't understand.

I guess it's the way VF feels about CW, so many people are so negatively charged about him that she feels she must defend him. Just as she feels so many fans are so positively charged on Peja's behalf that she must challenge their beliefs. I'm not calling her, or anyone else, out. I just thought that was an interesting comment she made and it stuck with me. (BTW, I love your new sig about sliding into the grave sideways :D ). In the reverse mode, I think some of us Kings fans are so incensed over Webber's past misdeeds and empty promises that we are similarly upset over the (as we see it) blind homerism of some of the Webber supporters. I WANT the guy to do well, but I just can't find it in myself to believe him anymore without outside substantiation of his claims/promises. That's my problem with scepticism re: CWebb. Once again, if I look at things as rationally as I can and attempt to be impartial...if I substitute any other Kings player's name with the numerous things attributed to Chris over the years, I'd be a dyed in the wool hater of that player by now...and yet, I still want and hope for Chris to succeed because he plays for "my" team.

Wow, I am so far afield, I don't even know if I can find my own way back to the topic...

So, oh yes, QD's question. How many games do you think CW will play this year, not how many games you hope he'll play this year. That's another poll for somebody else to post!

Cheers,
KK!
I think your assessment is well-stated. I truly hope that Chris plays 82 games in the regular season and is unamimously voted League MVP for 2004-2005 NBA Season. I get very little solace from Chris being obliged to sit-out early practices due to "knee complications".

Last year I began the season generally depressed about the prospective outcome. I was wrong, ................. at least until April 2003. This year, I am not as emotional about it, but I am even more convinced that the Kings will have to find a way to win games without Chris Webber. Unless one of the Kings' rookies turns out to be the next "Michael Jordan", I think we are facing long odds, and facing a very long season.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
In case everybody has already forgotten Webb played all but 1 game LAST season after returning, and that was with 6 months less rehab time on the knee. He was clearly not himself, but between the playoffs and regular season I think he suited up for 35 of a possible 36 games, so suddenly assuming now, months later, that he's only going to be able to make 1 out of 3 seems more than a little unfounded based on what little evidence we have thus far.

People are making entirely too much of a little swelling. Entirely. Perhaps its just because many/most have never had a major joint injury. But really now, swelling now and again is just inevitable whether you're torn ligaments, tendons, cartlidge or anything else in a knee or ankle. Just part of the landscape. I've played with it for years (both ankles) without serious incident and without ever reinjuring the joints (braced up though they may be). But its got very little to do with how sound the knee is and whether it has healed correctly or not. I t may have, it may not have, but some minor swelling in training camp is hardly the test.

Last edited: