How did you become a Kings fan?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Ok, I figure this thread is as good as any for a first post.

Like many kids growing up in the 90's, I idolized Michael Jordan. As I had a natural tendency to be different just because, I began to idolize Mitch Richmond, and ended up with the Kings as my team. Saw my first game live in New York in January 2011, and couldn't believe it when we won. Was shouted at by some angry Knicks fans but was all part of the experience. Saw them live again two weeks later in ARCO against the Bobcats. We lost, Kwame Brown killed us on the boards, but the team made a great comeback. Was sitting 3 rows from the front, was able to see Michael Jordan sitting court side which was amazing. Still have the program from that night.
Welcome to Kingsfans.com Glad to have you with us!

I grew up in Laker country but moved when I was 17 to northern California.
I am not a message board type; this is new to me.
I missed having a team in the area to root for. As a Kid, I can remember seeing the Lakers play when the line up included Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, and Wilt Chamberlain. So that tells you how old I am. I used to listen to Chick Hearn on my little transistor radio in bed at night. Basketball ruled my sporting life.
When the Kings came it was a wonderful thing. I put away my Laker gear and bought The Kings colors. It wasn't long before two kids and life prevented me from being able to make but one game at ARCO (the first ARCO, remember?) and one magical playoff game at the new place...
By the late 90's the Kings were on the rise and most of us remember the glory days of 2000-2001.
It has been hard to stomach what our team has been through since then, but I believe the ownership change was the best thing that could happen to us, and the new arena is going to be the next best thing.
So we will wait, and support our team while they put the pieces in place to begin the climb back to the top.
And with our support, and smart moves by the front office and players who are motivated by a coaching staff....and who feed on the energy and drive of a huge, far reaching community who love them..we will rise again, and now my grandkids can experience what it is like.

Saw first game on TV in 2001. Bibby who I remembered from Arizona came in 2002. Saw the Kings play in NY a few times. Finally made it to Sacramento in 2012 (surprised my relatives that are from Sacramento) to see the Kings at home.