How did you become a Kings fan?

This question is a simple one. What attracted you? Who took you to that first game? Ultimately, how did you become a Kings fan?

My own story is simple: Born, bred, and raised, third generation Kings fan. My grandparents moved here in 1977, had my dad and uncle, and in 1985, attended the first Kings game. In 1987, during a Kings vs. Sixers game, my very own uncle, who had lower-level seats, stood up and called Charles Barkley a ******! Charles Barkley! And Chuck heard him, pointed at him, and shot a blind free throw, which he made.

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy to become one for me.

Lived in Bay Area for several years and was fairly big Warriors fan - long time NBA fan. Remained so even after moving to Sacramento to attend CSUS. Even back then car pooling to Oakland on few occasions for Golden State games. Then after graduation from college got career going here, bought a home, etc. When Kings arrived in town in 1985 instantly changed my allegiance - hmmm, kind of like new Kings owner Vivek:) Saw my first game in original old barn (Arco I) and went to lots of games there early on before Arco II was constructed few years later. Slowly but surely became fanatical Kings fan - far more rabid than my previous allegiance to W's. Now, can't wait for new arena to open. What an amazing journey it will have been and crown jewel accomplishment for... say it loud and proud... SAC-RA-MEN-TO !!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
This question is a simple one. What attracted you? Who took you to that first game? Ultimately, how did you become a Kings fan?

My own story is simple: Born, bred, and raised, third generation Kings fan. My grandparents moved here in 1977, had my dad and uncle, and in 1985, attended the first Kings game. In 1987, during a Kings vs. Sixers game, my very own uncle, who had lower-level seats, stood up and called Charles Barkley a ******! Charles Barkley! And Chuck heard him, pointed at him, and shot a blind free throw, which he made.
Is it six months ago already?

Live in Australia, and in the mid 90's basketball really took off here. My dad and I used to collect cards together and my favourite team growing up with Phoenix, because of Charles Barkley (As I played a similar style of game to him) and Dad's was San Antonio for David Robinson (And I still have a soft spot for the Spurs).

Then, when I was watching the All Star game in 1995, I was blown away by Mitch Richmond, and I started being a fan of the Kings. I sort of swung between about four teams (Kings, Suns, Spurs and Rockets) until I think about 2004, when Peja became my favourite player, and I became a full-blown Kings fan.

I've been to the US twice, and been lucky enough to see the Kings play at ARCO twice. Once against Orlando (Where Dwight KILLED us) - Funnily enough, I bought a Kevin Martin jersey at the time, and he was traded like a week later. The second time was against Minnesota, and unfortunately Rubio was injured a couple of weeks before the game so I missed him, too. But we won that game! I'll never forget that game... I was three rows from courtside, and Honeycutt posterised Beasley after being on for about 10 seconds.

Last edited:
Having grown up in the Michael Jordan - Scottie Pippen - Chicago Bulls era, it was tough not to be a fan of that team. But as soon as MJ retired, and the Bulls exploded their roster, I knew I had to be a die hard Kings fan, just because they are the local team. I still used to go to a few games here and there when Richmond and Co were around, so the transition was not too difficult. But I definitely became a die hard fan once MJ retired, and before the lockout season (when we got Webb, Vlade, and others).

Oh, and although times are somewhat similar to the days of Rich and Company, I ain't looking elsewhere; I intend to remain a Kings Fan 4 Life...

The day the Maloofs bought the team, I became a Kings fan. After they sold the team, I quit being a Kings fan.
I hope you are just joking. If not, you better have strong legs, and a solid mind, because every single Kings fan out there will be hunting you down after reading your comment.

My pops was always screaming and pissed off all the time while watching some game on tv, one day I sat next to him to see what the fuss was all about and I was hooked. First jersey was NOT Jordan or JWILL or anything like that it was a freakin Tyus Edney jersey. I bleed purple!

The Kings moved to Sacramento the same year I moved to Sacramento. I've been a fan since then and I've watched every season except for last year.

I got introduced to the NBA back in 2002 and I didn't have a specific team I liked to follow, however I followed the 76ers all the time because Allen Iverson was my favorite player. Along the way, my friend who was a Kings fan told me there were two of my country men playing for the Kings in Vlade and Peja and ever since then...I've been a fan.

When I was young I was a Mitch Richmond fan, and he happened to play for the Kings. It just stuck, I was a fan but never cared much for NBA until Jason Williams came. I loved his style and couldn't get enough and became a huge fan of the game. Now I am an avid NBA fan.

Been a Kings fan since 1985 their first year Sacramento. Saw a few games in the original ARCO.Went from Reggie, new coach Jerry Reynolds,”coach”Bill Russell, new Arco, drafting Vinny losing Otis, enjoying the “Tizzy” flip, nervous Purvis, losing Ricky Berry, the four first-round draft’s, Ralph Sampson’s knees and then we landed the “Rock”. I really got hooked and became a STH and went through all the “Golden Years” until CWebb left. Don't post much but come here often to read all the knowledgeable, sometimes passionate and always thought provoking posts.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
One day I was wandering through the desert and encountered a burning bush. And the burning bush said "lo, thou shalt be a Kings fan." And I said "yo, you're a talking burning bush! Cool!" and flew to heaven on my pet donkey, Snookums.

Last edited:
Saw game six of the 2004 WCSF, saw Peja, learned that I was watching a Californian team that didn't suck but wasn't the Lakers, and became a fan.

I was 10 years old and I went with my dad. I grew up playing sports and was getting into basketball then, so I wanted to go see the Kings. My dad is still my favorite person to go to the games with and we purchased season tickets together this year :D Definitely liked them before they were any good and then enjoyed the glory years and now we're excited to watch them climb up again. Tyus Edney was the first jersey I ever had!

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
They moved to Sacramento... I mean there really isn't much more than that. I had easy access to real good seats, I went to a lot of games, eventually I moved to go to university and the Kings were kind of a reminder of where I came from. Then they got good and they were a sense of hometown and NorCal pride while I was living down in SoCal after school.

It's pretty much the same for why I am a fan of the Boston teams (2 of 4 I liked before moving there) or how I got into the Timbers (only sport which I didn't have a team in that was played in Portland). Having a way to root for your hometown or for a town that is a huge part of your identity is big for me.

Live in Australia, and in the mid 90's basketball really took off here. My dad and I used to collect cards together and my favourite team growing up with Phoenix, because of Charles Barkley (As I played a similar style of game to him) and Dad's was San Antonio for David Robinson (And I still have a soft spot for the Spurs).

Then, when I was watching the All Star game in 1995, I was blown away by Mitch Richmond, and I started being a fan of the Kings. I sort of swung between about four teams (Kings, Suns, Spurs and Rockets) until I think about 2004, when Peja became my favourite player, and I became a full-blown Kings fan.

I've been to the US twice, and been lucky enough to see the Kings play at ARCO twice. Once against Orlando (Where Dwight KILLED us) - Funnily enough, I bought a Kevin Martin jersey at the time, and he was traded like a week later. The second time was against Minnesota, and unfortunately Rubio was injured a couple of weeks before the game so I missed him, too. But we won that game! I'll never forget that game... I was three rows from courtside, and Honeycutt posterised Beasley after being on for about 10 seconds.
I think i went to the same Orlando game, lolz. I was near a woman who was screaming "GO DWIGHT!!! I LOVE YOU DWIGHT!!!" all game, were there? (it was like a couple years back).

My dad used to watch the Kings, and i always watched with him ever since I was little. My jerseys are Webber when I was 4, Bibby when i was 10, and Udrih when I was 12 (was looking for Tyreke jerseys but they didn't have any, i was so disappointed, lol).

The way Kings used to play basketball 10-15 years ago.
I love Jason Williams and Webber is my favourite basketball player of all time.
And then, a team full of european players with Divac Stojakovic and Turkoglu.
My biggest basketball regret ever: Bodiroga never joined that team, while in his prime (1999-2004) he was "Michael Jordan" in European basketball.

My dad has been a Kings fan since they moved here. he even went to games at the original Arco. so i grew up watching games with him. had me in Kings gear as a child

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
In 1988 I was curious about the Kings and went to Arco Arena to get a ticket. Was told they had standing room only tickets! Wow! Bought one and stood up at the bar area for a bit until an usher showed me a number of open seats in the top of the "nose bleed" section and said it would be ok to sit there after the first quarter. The crowd was awesome, the Kings played 3 decent quarters and folded in the fourth. But I was hooked. Several more times that year bought a single ticket as my wife had no interest and gradually moved down to lower section. I had met some guys who wanted to share a pair of season tickets for about 10 games and I bought in. Then in 1990 bought my own pair of season tickets in 104 row G on the aisle which I had until 1997 and moving out of town in 1998. Also got selected to the first ever Kings Fan Forum, a group of fans reporting to Kings front office with ideas, suggestions and direct input from the fans in our area.