Home Theater Speakers

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Yes, its for the rear speakers.

I'd re-use that location if it works for you.

Actually, I just put that new speaker there on a table stand.

The right speaker is way over to the right.
Gotcha.

Ideally, the surrounds should be near or a little above head level when in listening position (sitting down). They should be at the same level (right and left). If they are significantly higher, angling them down is helpful to get the highs to shound sharper, if you want. You may find you like the way they sound higher up anyways, especially if they are far enough away that a little vertical distance doesn't change the sound much.

Rooms are not perfect and you always have some existing limitations to work around.

I'd try placing them at a different location or two before permanently mounting them just to demo any sound differences you may notice. You may find it really doesn't matter much and you can do what is convenient. You may find that putting a speaker in a bookcase sounds better than on the wall because of the change in elevation relative to your head.

Just play around and see what works for your room! We could make recommendations all day, but in the end it is whatever works for your ears and your room layout.

Take a look at this general guide for some nice introductory info on speaker placement.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-Yzj9e5FbD1r/learningcenter/home/inwall_placement.html

With the way my living room is, I can't get good speaker placement. For example, the left speaker is like about 2 feet from the end of the couch (right by the opening to the kitchen) and the right speaker is about 8 feet from the other end of the couch (right by the table that has the clock). :rolleyes: So, I thought maybe I could put both speakers between the center speaker (which by the way, there will be no center speaker). Have 1 speaker just underneath the vent and the right speaker right above the edge of the picture. Would that be too close? That's pretty much the only option I have.

Attachments

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I'm not sure that would give you enough seperation. Are ceiling mounts an option? At minimum you'd want them to be a couple feet on either side of the couch. I think you'd have better results putting them in the corner and on the side table than the solution you proposed above.

I think you'd have better results putting them in the corner and on the side table than the solution you proposed above.
Are you saying put the left speaker on the table (where it is located in the picture) and then put the right speaker on the table (where the clock is).

As you can see, I don't have many options.

Warhawk

Staff member
I'm not sure that would give you enough seperation.
Agreed. You really need them to be quite a ways apart.

Don't worry about the distance as much as location. If you can you get them both the same height above the floor and pointing somewhat to where your head would be on the couch that would be a good start. You can change the distance from seating position to the speaker with the auto setup feature (or manually) and it will help take care of the different distances from you to the speakers.

Using speaker mounts on the walls allows you to easily adjust the speaker angle in a situation like this so they can point to the listener.

So, are you saying I can have the speakers right where I have my old speakers now, eventhough one speaker is farther than the other speaker?. I will be using these types of speaker mounts.

Attachments

So, are you saying I can have the speakers right where I have my old speakers now, eventhough one speaker is farther than the other speaker?. I will be using these types of speaker mounts.
Yes, I think that is what he is saying and what I was saying before. On the audio set-up of the Yahama receiver you have, there is a way to make the right surround speaker softer (since it is closer) and the left surround louder (since it is much further away). This can be done by setting the distance you sit from each speaker (using the audio set-up) or by doing a sound test (using a sound meter) and manipulating the volume on each speaker to balance the situation. I think it will work fine for your purposes.

Additionally, remember when you are at a movie theater you will almost never be in the center of the surround speakers.

Here's a question. If you take a look at this picture, the speaker that you see is the one that is behind the couch. How do I connect this 1 rear speaker? Normally there should be 2 rear speakers, however, I only have 1, therefore, should I connect it to the Left back speaker?

Attachments

Warhawk

Staff member
Here's a question. If you take a look at this picture, the speaker that you see is the one that is behind the couch. How do I connect this 1 rear speaker? Normally there should be 2 rear speakers, however, I only have 1, therefore, should I connect it to the Left back speaker?
I think you receiver manual should tell you how to do that. So you are going to have a 6.1 system, right? Two surround speakers and one back surround?

I think you receiver manual should tell you how to do that. So you are going to have a 6.1 system, right? Two surround speakers and one back surround?
I am sure the manual will say, however, I have been reading the Yamaha RX-V661 thread over at the AVS forum and it seems like many are having a hard time connecting everything.

The only thing I have is a receiver, speakers, dvd, dish box and tv. I hope this will be an easy setup.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Zone 2 is an alternate setup, like another room. When Zone 2 is active the Zone 1 speakers are inactive and vice versa.

Zone 2 is an alternate setup, like another room. When Zone 2 is active the Zone 1 speakers are inactive and vice versa.
Thanks!

Warhawk or anyone that has the Yamaha RX-V661 - When you watch movies what is it set to on your receiver. I watched Transformers the other day and the receiver was set to DVD viewing. The sound was good except towards the end of the movie to where I had to turn the volume waaaaayyyyy up to hear the sound.

By the way, everything is all hook up. I'll provided some pictures in the next several days.

Warhawk

Staff member
Actually, not correct. You may be thinking of a Speaker A/B switch or selection.

Zone 2 is another set of speakers in another room that can be listened to at the same time as the Zone 1 setup.

I have a 5.1 Zone 1 setup in the HT area and Zone 2 is a pair of speakers on the rear patio. I can listen to two differnt sources at the same time on the two sets of speakers (say, DVD movie in 5.1 on the HT and Dish Network or radio in stereo on the rear porch). The only limitation is that the Zone 2 inputs must be analog, so no HDMI or digital audio inputs work for that. Some fancier receivers may allow for digital inputs for Zone 2.

Glad to hear your setup is working! I think I may have fussed around with the DVD Scene button to have it use a different soundfield. I really don't remember. Sorry. Some movies are hard to discern dialogue when action sequences are going on. It's a function of the digital encoding and not the receiver. Playing with some options may help with this.

Frankly, I still haven't had the time to play around with mine all that much either! Sounds good the way it is - let me know if you want me to see what I am using and I can try to do that.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Actually, not correct. You may be thinking of a Speaker A/B switch or selection.
Thanks, I was just going off how I assumed my receiver works, my second zone isn't amped as far as I know so I've never even fooled with it. My friend has a Yamaha receiver though and his does have an A/B speaker selector so I figured it was all the same.