Hobbled Christie remains hopeful

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/11240045p-12155497c.html

Hobbled Christie remains hopeful

The Kings guard works toward being ready for Tuesday's season opener.

By Joe Davidson -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Thursday, October 28, 2004

Doug Christie cracked that he's the squeaky wheel to the machine about now, a little clunky with a lot of rust to chip away after nearly five months of inactivity.

The Kings veteran guard did not make the trip for tonight's preseason game against Dallas at American Airlines Center, as expected. But he hopes to be in uniform the next time the Kings play in Texas, the season opener Tuesday against the same Mavericks, ailment allowing.

Christie said the sore foot that has tenderness to the soft tissue on the bottom - otherwise known as plantar fasciitis - has improved since he underwent a shockwave procedure to alleviate pain Sept. 24.

This week, Christie has had pool workouts and engaged in limited shooting exercises with teammates. A member of the All-NBA defensive first or second team the last four seasons, Christie said he is pacing himself, careful not to aggravate an injury that forced teammate Peja Stojakovic to miss 10 games in the 2001-02 season and Minnesota's Wally Szczerbiak to sit out 53 games last season.

Christie said he wants to produce three solid practices before he deems himself game-ready. And once he's ready? "Once I'm full bore, I go," Christie said.

He has been full bore most of his Kings career, which started in the 2000-01 season. He has been the team's most durable regular in that span, starting 324 of 328 games. And he played some of the best ball of his career last season, elevating his scoring, passing, ballhandling and leadership the last third of the season to help offset the loss of guard Bobby Jackson, who missed 32 games with an abdominal injury.

"Doug's been very durable, especially considering the way he plays," director of player personnel Jerry Reynolds said. "I think we've taken him for granted a little because he's always been there, ready to go."

Christie's foot woes arose in the playoffs. He took a painkiller before one game but only after receiving assurance from team trainers and doctors that he was not risking his career. He doesn't anticipate having to take any more shots.

"It's a movement pain," Christie said of his injury. "When I'm sitting down, I don't feel it. But when I get up and move around, that's when I feel it. But I think I'll be fine."

Christie also said the Kings will be fine as a group. He said any perceived strife between Chris Webber and Stojakovic simply has not been there this preseason. Christie has spoken to Stojakovic and Webber, who has long regarded Christie as the man he most admires on the roster. Webber confided in Christie last season when the power forward was sidelined for 50 games with a knee injury.

"Compared to what you hear about other teams and the bad things that go on, I don't see that here," Christie said. "That's my honest assessment. Webb and Peja, I don't think they have issues. I know there hasn't been any problems (in camp). Everyone's getting along great. I know what's been said, what's been speculated, but I know what I see also."

Christie said the playoff loss to Minnesota stung everyone, and emotions are still a little raw.

"We have high expectations," Christie said. "It's frustrating when we know what we can do."

As far as the playoff shortcoming still gnawing at the team, Christie said, "That's a good thing. Some teams give up, some never strive. We keep pushing." Note - The team cut free-agent rookie center Adam Parada, a 7-footer who played at UC Irvine.

I'm really glad that Christie is hoping to come back, but I hope that he isn't trying to come back too soon. I don't want him to aggravate his foot anymore to where he misses regular season games, especially if it were to get re-injured mid-season and put him out into the playoffs. That would not be good. I just think that he needs to take his time, but I trust Christie to know when he is feeling well enough to play. It is also good to hear that everyone has been getting along in camp, takes a load off to hear that from a reliable source like Doug. Although Doug has been out I think that K evin Martin has been doing a hell of a job filling in for him, especially as a rookie. Hopefully he can keep it going into the regular season.

The Kings veteran guard did not make the trip for tonight's preseason game against Dallas at American Airlines Center, as expected. But he hopes to be in uniform the next time the Kings play in Texas, the season opener Tuesday against the same Mavericks, ailment allowing.
I hope that he is not rushing things. He might as well take a little bit longer, and be completely healed, instead of risking an injury again.

i grinned the whole time i was reading this article.
love this man. even the mention of his name makes me happy.

my dad has the same problem, it really hurts when you move.
as said above, i hope he's not rushing things.
yet, can't wait to see him on court.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
"Compared to what you hear about other teams and the bad things that go on, I don't see that here," Christie said. "That's my honest assessment. Webb and Peja, I don't think they have issues. I know there hasn't been any problems (in camp). Everyone's getting along great. I know what's been said, what's been speculated, but I know what I see also."
And ANOTHER player speaks out. At what point are people going to admit that perhaps - just perhaps - it was media people who started the whole thing about the hard feelings between Pedja and Chris, and that maybe - just maybe - they were totally without basis in fact?

VF21 said:
And ANOTHER player speaks out. At what point are people going to admit that perhaps - just perhaps - it was media people who started the whole thing about the hard feelings between Pedja and Chris, and that maybe - just maybe - they were totally without basis in fact?
Ideally, yes, but until Peja retracts his trade demand (or gets his agent to shut up) I wont feel like things are 100% again.

nice to hear that from doug. i really hope he is 100% i'd much rather he makes sure he is 100% now rather they trying to play at 85%. regular season games don't mean all that much at this point in time. we will need him for the stretch run in march.

so make sure you are well DC! we can't wait to have you back!