Hield or Bogdanovic?

What should the Kings do about the Buddy Hield & Bogdan Bogdanovic situation?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Let me start off by saying I think both can easily contribute to a team's success. However, we saw last year (and now this year) that we are worse when both of them are on the floor together.

When Hield & Bogdan WERE NOT on the floor together last season, the team had a NETRTG of -0.6
When Hield & Bogdan WERE on the floor together last season, the team had a NETRTG of -3.0 (989 min sample size)

Meaning we were outscored by 2.4 more points per 100 possessions when we decided to play Hield & Bogdanovic together vs. if we kept one or both of them on the bench. The issue has seemed to become even worse this season (acknowledging the small sample size):

When Hield & Bogdan WERE NOT on the floor together this season, the team had a NETRTG of -8.7
When Hield & Bogdan WERE on the floor together this season, the team had a NETRTG of -32.5 (57 min sample size)

Again, we have two talented SGs that both deserve to play more than 24 mpg. However, playing them more than 48 minutes collectively (assuming they would get all the SG minutes) means we're hurting our team performance. So what do we do? We either....

1. Trade Buddy Hield (would probably have to wait until his contract kicks in next year)
  2. Trade Bogdan Bogdanovic (assuming we just wouldn't let him walk next offseason for nothing)
  3. Keep both of them (in hopes they figure it out)
  4. Trade both Buddy Hield & Bogdan Bogdanovic (may be that you don't like either of them long term here)

Personally, I'm leaning towards the option of trading Hield and keeping Bogdanovic.

For starters, the team's performance is better when Fox/Bogdan are on the floor & Hield is off the floor vs. when Fox/Hield are on the floor & Bogdan is off the floor.

Fox/Bogdan = On Court & Hield = Off Court (365 min sample size)
OFFRTG = 112.6
DEFRTG = 108.3
NETRTG = +4.3

Fox/Hield= On Court & Bogdan = Off Court (1420 min sample size)
OFFRTG = 113.1
DEFRTG = 110.7
NETRTG = +2.4

I also took a look at these numbers when both Hield & Bogdan had Barnes in the lineup next to them (a solid, good sized SF)...

Fox/Bogdan/Barnes = On Court & Hield = Off Court (77 min sample size)
OFFRTG = 112.7
DEFRTG = 97.0
NETRTG = +15.7

Fox/Hield/Barnes= On Court & Bogdan = Off Court (451 min sample size)
OFFRTG = 114.4
DEFRTG = 111.1
NETRTG = +3.3

Then I started to think about what does each bring to the game. I would say Hield has the advantage in shooting & rebounding, but I would say that Bogdan is a better passer, better ball handler, better defender, & has better bball IQ. Not to mention that he's still a very good shooter. Not elite like Hield, but very good nonetheless.

Then you have the size & length comparison which is advantage Bogdan:

Hield
Height w/ Shoes = 6'5"
Wingspan = 6'9.25"
Standing Reach = 8'5"
Weight = 212.4lbs

Bogdan
Height w/ Shoes = 6'6"
Wingspan = 6'11"
Standing Reach = 8'8"
Weight = 205lbs

Bogdan's standing reach is in the 91st percentile among SGs measured at the combine in the last 10 years. His wingspan is 83rd percentile as well. He's a very long SG.

And then Bogdan will likely have the advantage with his contract next offseason. He'll likely end up making less. I could see him around $14-$17 mil per year where Hield will likely be around $23.5 mil per year (considering his likely incentives).

Coming back to the shooting though as this is where the "pro Hield" crowd tends to emphasize that shooting should be weighted much heavier in this decision despite Bogdan being better in many other facets of the game, and to some degree, I agree. Shooting is very important in today's game, but again, Bogdan is no slouch here. He shot 39.2% from three his rookie year, shot 36% from three his sophomore year, and shot 53% (on 66 3PA) during FIBA. Again, he's no slouch.

I also wanted to dive a little deeper into last year's shooting numbers to see why there was a dip. His pull-up 3PT% was 39.3% in the 2017-18 season. That drastically dropped to 30.5% in the 2018-19 season. If he kept his pull-up 3PT% similar year to year, his 36% would have climbed to 39.3%.

The other thing I noticed is that 13.1% of Bogdan's 3PAs last year were when the shotclock was between 0-4 sec. As a comparison, only 5% of Hield's 3PAs last year were when the shotclock was between 0-4 sec. That tells you that we were looking to Bogdan to bail us out at the last second when the offense broke down, and he shot only 24% on those types of 3PAs. If he had that closer to 5% (like Hield) that bumps his 3PT% up another percent.

It also looks like Hield got more of his looks from the corner three vs. Bogdan. 20.1% of Hields 3PAs were from the corner vs. Bogdan only had 11.3%. Everyone knows that corner three is one of the best most, efficient shots in the game. If he had more looks from the corner, I'm sure his 3PT% would be higher as well.

The last thing I'll mention is that 53.9% of Hield's 3PAs were when the closest defender was 6+ft away vs. Bogdan only had 43.2% of his attempts be that open. Now that that may be a product of Hield playing more minutes with Fox (and therefore, that may carryover to Bogdan if he became the starter) or it may just be that Hield works harder to get that open.

But at the end of the day, Bogdan is still a very good 3PT shooter, and I think a decent amount of the discrepancy comes from...
  • His pull-up 3PT% dropping significantly vs. the year prior
  • Him being asked to take a shot when the shotclock runs down
  • Less opportunities to shoot from the corner 3
  • Less wide open threes (perhaps a product of playing with the reserves who don't command as much attention from the opposing team's defense)

If we were to move Hield, you could probably land a pretty good player as well. Perhaps there is some sort of deal out there that allows us to trade Hield to a 3rd team and receive M. Turner (don't think they'd want Hield with Brogdon & Oladipo there). The Pacers seem to be playing better with Turner out and Sabonis sliding over to C so perhaps it's feasible. Like a Hield to TOR / Anunoby to IND / Turner to SAC sort of deal or a Hield to MIN / Covington to IND / Turner to SAC.

Last edited:
This is an outstanding post--and extremely well crafted. Thanks! I lean towards trading Buddy, for all the reasons cited. Buddy's defense is really awful. I've lost count of how many times he gets beat backdoor on the weak side cause he gets caught ball-watching. I concur, he probably cannot be moved until the summer, unless for another player on a rookie contract, because the $ values will be so out of whack.

I also agree that many of Bogi's perceived problems would be mitigated if he was starting. One more thing--our slide was the catalyst for me to check out next year's prospects, and I really like all of the top SGs. Their athleticism runs the spectrum from RJ Hampton being average (but the best shooter) to Anthony Edwards being ridiculous. But, they all seem to have a strong handle and good form on their shot (a little generous for LaMelo, but still). We're going to be in the lottery, sadly, but I like our chances to walk out of the draft with an impact SG prospect to backfill the position.

I’m annoyed by your thread. But Buddy’s rate of mistakes from not playing under control is a growing concern, and that has me inching toward “thinking about the possibility” of trading Buddy.
EDIT: I should’ve said that I’m annoyed by the topic. But your presentation of the dilemma is excellent.

Last edited:
Well written. I am no fan (as is probably apparent) of Buddy and Bogi both on the floor together. Luke, like Dave at the end of last year, is a big fan of it for obvious reasons but the line-up never seems to work.

The problem the Kings have with their opening night starting line up of Fox, Buddy, Barnes, Bagley and Dedmon is overall BBIQ. Inserting Bogi for Buddy helps fix that problem some. Inserting Giles for Dedmon would have also fixed it but alas we f’d that up.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Hard to choose without knowing what comes back in return.

i think Joerger and now Walton both play them together for a bump in offense obviously......cause it’s not for defense.

If you deal Hield, that’s A major part of the offense being dealt.

I like them both for different reasons but I prefer Buddy in a third level star role over Bogdan simply because his shot is money. Currently our team is not nearly good enough so Hield’s deficiencies shine through. Fox has to take the alpha role and we need Bagley to step into that second spot. If that happens, Buckets can stick to what he does best. Buddy almost certainly has better trade value but a mid first rounder isn’t enough for me to ship him off. I don’t think you could even get a first for Bogdan. For those reasons, I keep them both and try to make it work knowing Bogdan could possibly leave for a larger role later on.

I applaud your research. I don't like them on the floor together. I like Buddy's shooting and if we moved him we'd need to replace it. But your numbers show we might be better off starting Bogs.

One question about their usage at the same time, I'd be curious to see what happens if both are on the court with a traditional SF with Bogs as the primary ball handler vs. Fox-Buggy-Bogs which I believe is a proven failure.

Buddy is locked up now and slumping so I am not sure what the risk would be right now asking him to come off the bench for a few weeks, outside of a hit to his confidence. If he was hurt in the Phoenix game and playing through maybe he'd be up for it.

Bogdan.

I'm sick of waiting for him to show out. I don't care about his FIBA performances, I don't care about the hypotheticals for his low shooting percentages, and I don't care about the facets he's supposedly better at because he doesn't utilize them.

As far as I'm concerned, all of his issues are self-inflicted because most of the time he's a chucker who pounds the air out of the ball.

Bogdan.

I'm sick of waiting for him to show out. I don't care about his FIBA performances, I don't care about the hypotheticals for his low shooting percentages, and I don't care about the facets he's supposedly better at because he doesn't utilize them.

As far as I'm concerned, all of his issues are self-inflicted because most of the time he's a chucker who pounds the air out of the ball.
He is a chucker who is 5th in FGA and 2nd in AST. 4 non chuckers take more shots than him, and all the non ball pounders except 1 have less assists then him. That said, I would keep Hield. He is a more prolific scorer.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Buddy plays about as dumb as a box of rocks and Bogi plays like an *******.

I'm kinda aggravated with both players at the moment, and while I agree that we'd be better off with only keeping one of the two, I think it's too early to decide.

If Bogi can keep up the defense like he did against the Jazz, he may edge out Buddy. But I really hate his selfish play.

Why bother to post then? It was a intelligent, fact laden post. Your response......
I don't doubt the intelligence of the post. It looks very detailed. But ultimately the question was still what to do with Buddy and Bogi. I responded that I want Bogi gone. So I answered the thread question. You want more in-depth analysis? Ok:

Dribble, dribble, dribble, drive to paint and fail or take an ill-advised shot.

At this point if they don't improve I will take a healthy Allen Crabbe (expiring).

If both players are at there absolute best than it's Buddy due to his insane shooting.
If both players are average than Bogie I feel he can do more since he has more skills.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Why bother to post then? It was a intelligent, fact laden post. Your response......
It is certainly well written, and thought out. That said, it does seem odd to me that a post that's ostensibly titled "Hield or Bogdanovic?" appears to have been written by someone who'd already made up their mind going into it that the "correct" answer was Bogdanovic.

Well researched as it appears to be, it seems like the thread might have more accurately titled, "The case for Bogdan Bogdanovic over Buddy Hield." In fairness, objectivity may not have been the author's objective (no pun intended), but the thread title is slightly misleading. I will stipulate that the argument is, indeed, compelling.

Let me start off by saying I think both can easily contribute to a team's success. However, we saw last year (and now this year) that we are worse when both of them are on the floor together.

When Hield & Bogdan WERE NOT on the floor together last season, the team had a NETRTG of -0.6
When Hield & Bogdan WERE on the floor together last season, the team had a NETRTG of -3.0 (989 min sample size)

Meaning we were outscored by 2.4 more points per 100 possessions when we decided to play Hield & Bogdanovic together vs. if we kept one or both of them on the bench. The issue has seemed to become even worse this season (acknowledging the small sample size):

When Hield & Bogdan WERE NOT on the floor together this season, the team had a NETRTG of -8.7
When Hield & Bogdan WERE on the floor together this season, the team had a NETRTG of -32.5 (57 min sample size)

Again, we have two talented SGs that both deserve to play more than 24 mpg. However, playing them more than 48 minutes collectively (assuming they would get all the SG minutes) means we're hurting our team performance. So what do we do? We either....

1. Trade Buddy Hield (would probably have to wait until his contract kicks in next year)
  2. Trade Bogdan Bogdanovic (assuming we just wouldn't let him walk next offseason for nothing)
  3. Keep both of them (in hopes they figure it out)
  4. Trade both Buddy Hield & Bogdan Bogdanovic (may be that you don't like either of them long term here)

Personally, I'm leaning towards the option of trading Hield and keeping Bogdanovic.

For starters, the team's performance is better when Fox/Bogdan are on the floor & Hield is off the floor vs. when Fox/Hield are on the floor & Bogdan is off the floor.

Fox/Bogdan = On Court & Hield = Off Court (365 min sample size)
OFFRTG = 112.6
DEFRTG = 108.3
NETRTG = +4.3

Fox/Hield= On Court & Bogdan = Off Court (1420 min sample size)
OFFRTG = 113.1
DEFRTG = 110.7
NETRTG = +2.4

I also took a look at these numbers when both Hield & Bogdan had Barnes in the lineup next to them (a solid, good sized SF)...

Fox/Bogdan/Barnes = On Court & Hield = Off Court (77 min sample size)
OFFRTG = 112.7
DEFRTG = 97.0
NETRTG = +15.7

Fox/Hield/Barnes= On Court & Bogdan = Off Court (451 min sample size)
OFFRTG = 114.4
DEFRTG = 111.1
NETRTG = +3.3

Then I started to think about what does each bring to the game. I would say Hield has the advantage in shooting & rebounding, but I would say that Bogdan is a better passer, better ball handler, better defender, & has better bball IQ. Not to mention that he's still a very good shooter. Not elite like Hield, but very good nonetheless.

Then you have the size & length comparison which is advantage Bogdan:

Hield
Height w/ Shoes = 6'5"
Wingspan = 6'9.25"
Standing Reach = 8'5"
Weight = 212.4lbs

Bogdan
Height w/ Shoes = 6'6"
Wingspan = 6'11"
Standing Reach = 8'8"
Weight = 205lbs

Bogdan's standing reach is in the 91st percentile among SGs measured at the combine in the last 10 years. His wingspan is 83rd percentile as well. He's a very long SG.

And then Bogdan will likely have the advantage with his contract next offseason. He'll likely end up making less. I could see him around $14-$17 mil per year where Hield will likely be around $23.5 mil per year (considering his likely incentives).

Coming back to the shooting though as this is where the "pro Hield" crowd tends to emphasize that shooting should be weighted much heavier in this decision despite Bogdan being better in many other facets of the game, and to some degree, I agree. Shooting is very important in today's game, but again, Bogdan is no slouch here. He shot 39.2% from three his rookie year, shot 36% from three his sophomore year, and shot 53% (on 66 3PA) during FIBA. Again, he's no slouch.

I also wanted to dive a little deeper into last year's shooting numbers to see why there was a dip. His pull-up 3PT% was 39.3% in the 2017-18 season. That drastically dropped to 30.5% in the 2018-19 season. If he kept his pull-up 3PT% similar year to year, his 36% would have climbed to 39.3%.

The other thing I noticed is that 13.1% of Bogdan's 3PAs last year were when the shotclock was between 0-4 sec. As a comparison, only 5% of Hield's 3PAs last year were when the shotclock was between 0-4 sec. That tells you that we were looking to Bogdan to bail us out at the last second when the offense broke down, and he shot only 24% on those types of 3PAs. If he had that closer to 5% (like Hield) that bumps his 3PT% up another percent.

It also looks like Hield got more of his looks from the corner three vs. Bogdan. 20.1% of Hields 3PAs were from the corner vs. Bogdan only had 11.3%. Everyone knows that corner three is one of the best most, efficient shots in the game. If he had more looks from the corner, I'm sure his 3PT% would be higher as well.

The last thing I'll mention is that 53.9% of Hield's 3PAs were when the closest defender was 6+ft away vs. Bogdan only had 43.2% of his attempts be that open. Now that that may be a product of Hield playing more minutes with Fox (and therefore, that may carryover to Bogdan if he became the starter) or it may just be that Hield works harder to get that open.

But at the end of the day, Bogdan is still a very good 3PT shooter, and I think a decent amount of the discrepancy comes from...
  • His pull-up 3PT% dropping significantly vs. the year prior
  • Him being asked to take a shot when the shotclock runs down
  • Less opportunities to shoot from the corner 3
  • Less wide open threes (perhaps a product of playing with the reserves who don't command as much attention from the opposing team's defense)

If we were to move Hield, you could probably land a pretty good player as well. Perhaps there is some sort of deal out there that allows us to trade Hield to a 3rd team and receive M. Turner (don't think they'd want Hield with Brogdon & Oladipo there). The Pacers seem to be playing better with Turner out and Sabonis sliding over to C so perhaps it's feasible. Like a Hield to TOR / Anunoby to IND / Turner to SAC sort of deal or a Hield to MIN / Covington to IND / Turner to SAC.
You for GM id be happy with

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
At this point if they don't improve I will take a healthy Allen Crabbe (expiring).

If both players are at there absolute best than it's Buddy due to his insane shooting.
If both players are average than Bogie I feel he can do more since he has more skills.
I also think the fact that Hield appears to be a better fit next to Fox as being a plus for him as well. I think Hield has a higher potential in impacting the game with that he does exceptionally well whereas Bogdan is more solid all around and even at his best could have a lower impact ceiling.

Well since keeping both is an option I say keep both. It is still not evident what exactly Bogi's role should be. Many envisaged him playing a Manu sort of role, but then again I see posts here saying he should not be made to handle and create. If I look at our roster now, the problem is that the second unit lacks offense/shot creators. CoJo doesn't dare shoot and Barnes really isn't proving to be much of a scoring option by himself. So I say find out what Bogi is - a playmaker or a shooter, and then fit the second unit around that.

If I had to pick one - Buddy. Bogi really hasn't been consistent.

Buddy needs to improve the matador defense he has been playing. Bogi did D up on Mitchell in this last game and if he can keep up that level of defense he could be more valuable to the team.

When Buddy catches fire it is as if he cannot miss. He also seemed to get at least one steal a game last season at key times.

Can't lie, I like them both and hope the Kings hand onto them as long as they can.

I wanted to filter the stats to just look at November. I think we would all agree that the team is playing more like normal since November. Perhaps the India trip did take a toll on the guys.

Below are their per36 stats for the month of November:

Hield = .614 TS% / 19.9 FGA / .508 FG% / 9.5 3PA / .419 3PT% / 1.8 FTA / .667 FT% / 25.4 PPG / 6.7 RPG / 0.9 APG / 0.9 SPG / 0.9 BPG / 2.8 TOPG
Bogdan = .729 TS% / 13.5 FGA / .513 FG% / 10.4 3PA / .533 3PT% / 2.8 FTA / .750 FT% / 21.4 PPG / 3.8 RPG / 4.1 APG / 1.4 SPG / 0.3 BPG / 3.1 TOPG

Here is there November On/Off Stats as well:

Buddy Hield
Offensive On/Off = +16.6
Defensive On/Off = +12.9
Total On/Off = +3.7

Bogdan Bogdanovic
Offensive On/Off = -11.0
Defensive On/Off = -12.4
Total On/Off = +1.4

Lastly, these are their November NetRTGs with the different combinations of who is on/off the floor:

Hield On Court / Bogdan On Court (30 min sample size)
OffRTG = 125.4
DefRTG = 113.6
NetRTG = +11.8

Hield On Court / Bogdan Off Court (88 min sample size)
OffRTG = 126.8
DefRTG = 118.4
NetRTG = +8.4

Hield Off Court / Bogdan On Court (74 min sample size)
OffRTG = 110.7
DefRTG = 103.6
NetRTG = +7.1

So despite Bogdan's blistering efficiency, the team offense has been significantly better with Hield on the floor (again, on/off can be swayed by the teammates they play with so keep that in mind). However, it's promising to see that the team was a +11.8 with both of them on the floor together (vs. them being +8.4 or +7.1 when only one of them is on the floor). That's not what the data has been telling us in year's prior, but like I called out above, it's only a 30 min sample size. Let's see if they can keep it up.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I think we are going to see more impact from Bogdan on defense this year because for the first time since he's been here he's being allowed switch onto bigger players defensively without immediate help coming and leaving a huge gap in the defense. He was known for being able to hold post position in the Euroleague and we are finally getting to see that now. His versatility will be a huge addition if allowed to continue to that.

I wanted to filter the stats to just look at November. I think we would all agree that the team is playing more like normal since November. Perhaps the India trip did take a toll on the guys.

Hield = .614 TS% / 19.9 FGA / .508 FG% / 9.5 3PA / .419 3PT% / 1.8 FTA / .667 FT% / 25.4 PPG / 6.7 RPG / 0.9 APG / 0.9 SPG / 0.9 BPG / 2.8 TOPG
Bogdan = .729 TS% / 13.5 FGA / .513 FG% / 10.4 3PA / .533 3PT% / 2.8 FTA / .750 FT% / 21.4 PPG / 3.8 RPG / 4.1 APG / 1.4 SPG / 0.3 BPG / 3.1 TOPG

Buddy Hield
Offensive On/Off = +16.6
Defensive On/Off = +12.9
Total On/Off = +3.7

Bogdan Bogdanovic
Offensive On/Off = -11.0
Defensive On/Off = -12.4
Total On/Off = +1.4

Lastly, these are their November NetRTGs with the different combinations of who is on/off the floor:

OffRTG = 125.4
DefRTG = 113.6
NetRTG = +11.8

OffRTG = 126.8
DefRTG = 118.4
NetRTG = +8.4

OffRTG = 110.7
DefRTG = 103.6
NetRTG = +7.1

So despite Bogdan's blistering efficiency, the team offense has been significantly better with Hield on the floor (again, on/off can be swayed by the teammates they play with so keep that in mind). However, it's promising to see that the team was a +11.8 with both of them on the floor together (vs. them being +8.4 or +7.1 when only one of them is on the floor). That's not what the data has been telling us in year's prior, but like I called out above, it's only a 30 min sample size. Let's see if they can keep it up.
It's difficult to compare the two unless Buddy gets hurt and Bogie starts in his place. The starters are obviously much more talented offensively and less defensively than the bench players as a whole so to me those numbers at the end there are more starters vs. bench rather than Hield vs. Bogie.

It's difficult to compare the two unless Buddy gets hurt and Bogie starts in his place. The starters are obviously much more talented offensively and less defensively than the bench players as a whole so to me those numbers at the end there are more starters vs. bench rather than Hield vs. Bogie.
You're right, but as the season goes on, I'm hoping both mix & match with the starters and bench enough to where the on/off isn't just looking at when Hield is on and when Hield is off, but to look at how certain lineups perform with Hield in them vs. Bogdan to help control some of the noise. Things like RAPM are supposed to help control for the quality of teammates and quality of competition so I'm interested (as I am every year) when that metric becomes available.

You're right, but as the season goes on, I'm hoping both mix & match with the starters and bench enough to where the on/off isn't just looking at when Hield is on and when Hield is off, but to look at how certain lineups perform with Hield in them vs. Bogdan to help control some of the noise. Things like RAPM are supposed to help control for the quality of teammates and quality of competition so I'm interested (as I am every year) when that metric becomes available.
I'd definitely be interested in seeing it when it becomes available.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

Buddy Hield
Offensive On/Off = +16.6
Defensive On/Off = +12.9
Total On/Off = +3.7

Bogdan Bogdanovic
Offensive On/Off = -11.0
Defensive On/Off = -12.4
Total On/Off = +1.4

OffRTG = 125.4
DefRTG = 113.6
NetRTG = +11.8

OffRTG = 126.8
DefRTG = 118.4
NetRTG = +8.4

OffRTG = 110.7
DefRTG = 103.6
NetRTG = +7.1

I do think it is skewed by the fact that Bogs is in many cases put in a lineup where he has to be the high usage play maker because the other guys just aren't that great offensively, although I will say that pairing Joseph with Bogs in the last Atlanta game makes a lot of sense. Joseph is showing why he is worth the money. Also, of late Bogs has been in the money 4th quarter because of Buddy's poor ball handling and brain farts. It's not just minutes on/off. It's when they are actually playing those minutes and with whom (as you mention). I am looking forward to a lineup of Fox, Bogs, Barnes, Bagley and Dedmond. I can see the outside shooting of Bogs, Barnes, and Dedmond, better ball handling with both Fox and Bogs, and higher IQ because of the addition of Bogs. High athleticism and inside offensive presence because of the addition of Bagley. I don't see the absence of Buddy hurting the aforementioned lineup in any way. In fact, it helps by increasing basketball IQ, ball handling and defense. Which means I do see Buddy as the 6th man. He may not literally be a sixth man because he may start, but in the 4th quarter if I had to bet right now I'd say he's sitting on the bench for most of it.

Last edited: