Hassan Whiteside.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Really the most surprising aspect of bringing in Hassan has been his value as a vet presence on the squad. Dare I say, he’s almost had a Vlade effect on squad morale as the resident joker/stable old guy.
I’m not just imagining that in the very recent past he would actively speak up about his lack of offensive roles on other teams and how he wasn’t a bench player, am I? Like actually everything about his negative reputation is nowhere to be seen.

I’m not just imagining that in the very recent past he would actively speak up about his lack of offensive roles on other teams and how he wasn’t a bench player, am I? Like actually everything about his negative reputation is nowhere to be seen.
That was young whippersnapper Hassan.
Mature Hassan attends weekly book clubs and peddles essential oils on the side.

Screen Shot 2021-02-07 at 1.09.40 AM.png

Against the decimated Magic and Grizzlies he looked out of place and disinterested.
He needs to move toward the ball more and stop coming out 15-20 feet from the basket to set screens.
There are times when he owns the paint, but we have not seen that from him in several games.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Against the decimated Magic and Grizzlies he looked out of place and disinterested.
He needs to move toward the ball more and stop coming out 15-20 feet from the basket to set screens.
There are times when he owns the paint, but we have not seen that from him in several games.
I do agree he hasn’t seemed as locked as we’ve seen earlier, I also think playing him with a fellow slug-footed big man in Bjeli really exposes his weaknesses. Neither guy can recover to hide each other’s weaknesses, so it’s glaring.

Last edited:
I do agree he hasn’t seemed as locked as we’ve seen earlier, I also think playing him with a fellow slug-footed big man in Bjeli really exposes his weaknesses. Neither guy can recover to hide each other’s weaknesses, so it’s glaring.
Walton had Holmes/Metu guarding Valanciunas most the game and Whiteside guarding Tillman.

Reverse those roles so the undersized center gets to guard the other undersized center and the big strong center gets to guard the other big strong center and maybe things turn out differently.

The Grizzlies physicality was exactly how to stop the Kings. They double teamed Fox a lot of the time. The Kings' did not make them pay for it. There softness was apparent.

I agree that Whiteside and Bjelica together look like slow motion. Whiteside did not match the physicality of the Grizzlies at either end, which is what we rely on him to do.

The Grizzlies physicality was exactly how to stop the Kings. They double teamed Fox a lot of the time. The Kings' did not make them pay for it. There softness was apparent.

I agree that Whiteside and Bjelica together look like slow motion. Whiteside did not match the physicality of the Grizzlies at either end, which is what we rely on him to do.
I feel like they should had played whiteside more against valanciunas and matched up holmes vs Tillman.

Just saw the rumor that the Lakers are interested in Whiteside.

Think they'd give up Talen Horton-Tucker for him? I'd take a flyer on him at only 20 years old.
Would be incredible, but I doubt it. He's playing a pretty key bench role for them atm and he's like their only young player with upside/potential.

Would be incredible, but I doubt it. He's playing a pretty key bench role for them atm and he's like their only young player with upside/potential.
Yeah they just don't have any other players we could use that could realistically be traded and 2nd rounders from them are basically useless.

Yeah they just don't have any other players we could use that could realistically be traded and 2nd rounders from them are basically useless.
Maybe the Lakers would if we include a 2nd or 2 from our warchest? THT is a absolutely an intriguing young wing that I'd gladly trade 2 2nd's for.

Actually looking at it, he'll hit RFA this summer, where the Lakers would almost assuredly have to let him go if some team gave him a decent contract. So maybe that's worth it for them if they can stock a few cheap picks and grab their Javale McGee replacement in the rotation.

Maybe the Lakers would if we include a 2nd or 2 from our warchest? THT is a absolutely an intriguing young wing that I'd gladly trade 2 2nd's for.

Actually looking at it, he'll hit RFA this summer, where the Lakers would almost assuredly have to let him go if some team gave him a decent contract. So maybe that's worth it for them if they can stock a few cheap picks and grab their Javale McGee replacement in the rotation.
I was thinking the same thing. He might be easier to get since they prob can’t afford to keep him. Especially if another team does anything tricky with the offer sheet like how atl did with us for bogie. On the flip side is what are we gonna have to pay to keep him?

I was thinking the same thing. He might be easier to get since they prob can’t afford to keep him. Especially if another team does anything tricky with the offer sheet like how atl did with us for bogie. On the flip side is what are we gonna have to pay to keep him?
I mean the Lakers are already floating at the hardcap with AD, Bron, Kuzma, KCP, Trez (player option) and Gasol. They can basically only afford vet mins to continue filling their roster.

I don't think they could match like a 4 year/20 mil offer without risking getting to the hard cap. They basically have to keep restocking their bench with vet mins at this point. Not a bad risk/reward at all for a super young wing who's played decently well getting rotation minutes.

Especially considering the connection THT and Ty already have having been teammates once in Iowa St, I'd definitely consider any offer from the Lakers for Whiteside that includes him.

Last edited:
I mean the Lakers are already floating at the hardcap with AD, Bron, Kuzma, KCP, Trez (player option) and Gasol. They can basically only afford vet mins to continue filling their roster.

I don't think they could match like a 4 year/20 mil offer without risking getting to the hard cap. They basically have to keep restocking their bench with vet mins at this point. Not a bad risk/reward at all for a super young wing who's played decently well getting rotation minutes.
Keep in mind that THT falls under the Arenas provision as well.

This means the first year of his new contract can’t be higher than the non-taxpayer MLE ($9,720,900) but the 2nd, 3rd, etc. years can be heavily back weighted (think Tyler Johnson’s poison pill).

Outside teams would need to have enough 2021-22 salary cap space to sign him to the average salary over the length of the deal. If someone offered him 10 + 20 + 20 + 20. They would have to have at least $17.5 mil in cap space in 2021-22 (10+20+20+20 = $70 mil / 4 years = $17.5 mil).

However, the team that owns his right can choose to either have the average salary count against their 2021-22 cap ($17.5 mil) or to count the real amount against the cap ($10 mil counted against the 2021-22 cap but it goes up to $20 mil in 2022-23 and on).

This may not matter a lot if you’re thinking he’s only going to get $20 mil over 4 years but I’m thinking he’ll get more.

As for the trade, THT is of value to them to compete this year (and years after with his potential). With Davis, Gasol, & Harrell on the roster at C, I don’t see how a Whiteside + 2nds is valuable for THT. His ballhandling and playmaking would be of higher value.

If Whiteside is bought out, sure add him as a backup C. If he’s not, go get someone like Cousins. Not sure Lakers are looking to dangle a guy like THT for 3rd/4th rotation Cs.

As for the trade, THT is of value to them to compete this year (and years after with his potential). With Davis, Gasol, & Harrell on the roster at C, I don’t see how a Whiteside + 2nds is valuable for THT. His ballhandling and playmaking would be of higher value.

If Whiteside is bought out, sure add him as a backup C. If he’s not, go get someone like Cousins. Not sure Lakers are looking to dangle a guy like THT for 3rd/4th rotation Cs.
THT has potential but the Lakers on a win-now timeline. Plus with AD being injury-prone, they definitely gotta shake it up a little to keep guys on their toes. Gasol is over the hill and Harrell is undersized and allergic to defense, I can totally see them giving THT up to get Whiteside.

Lakers will never give up THT for Whiteside. No matter if we threw two seconds in there thats just not happening. Lakers are looking at Whiteside for a future 2nd type of price as they know we wont make the playoffs either way so we either get something for him or nothing and play him in front of a young guy in our roster

Lakers will never give up THT for Whiteside. No matter if we threw two seconds in there thats just not happening. Lakers are looking at Whiteside for a future 2nd type of price as they know we wont make the playoffs either way so we either get something for him or nothing and play him in front of a young guy in our roster
As long as we have a roster spot open, the Lakers can kiss mine AFTER I've had a healthy helping of beans.

THT has potential but the Lakers on a win-now timeline. Plus with AD being injury-prone, they definitely gotta shake it up a little to keep guys on their toes. Gasol is over the hill and Harrell is undersized and allergic to defense, I can totally see them giving THT up to get Whiteside.
I definitely can't.

Why add a 4th center to the roster when ballhandling and playmaking is something that LAL is lacking? LeBron is practically having to do it all with Schroder and Davis out right now. Removing THT only exacerbates that issue.

And that is just the "win now" based argument for LAL to not to do this trade. The long term argument just tips that scale that much more.

Their interest is likely a 2nd and/or cash at best and the buy out market at worst.