Harry been workin

Is there some sort of before and after to compare to? His size looks relatively the same as last year.

Either way, I'm more interested in his legs in order to:
  • help prevent future injury
  • help prevent bigs from backing him down on the block
  • help prevent bigs overpower him when he's trying to box them out

I notice some gains. Harry looks like an ectomorph to me: that body type has its advantages and disadvantages, just like any other body type. I would say it's an ideal body type for basketball. Think Kevin Durant.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
no significant size added but it's basketball and he doesn't want to sacrifice speed and stamina for too much mass, but he does look lean. Just wait in a few seasons when he really fills into his frame, then we will see the true stage of HG

no significant size added but it's basketball and he doesn't want to sacrifice speed and stamina for too much mass, but he does look lean. Just wait in a few seasons when he really fills into his frame, then we will see the true stage of HG
Yes, this.
I’m sure many Timberwolves fans complained over the years that KG wasn’t big enough. But his combination of athleticism, size & strength, and motor gave him the advantage more often than not.
Go Harry!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Dude’s such a natural beanpole. Idk how much mass he’ll be able to put on. But he’s tenacious enough, works hard enough, and learns fast enough to bother other centers.

And as just mentioned above, Willie still looked like a sting bean, but got stronger as he aged. No doubt that will happen with HG as well.

Harry Giles is by far the strongest dude on the team, so him leaning out like this is only going to make him quicker and more agile and increase his strength/speed delta.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Dude’s such a natural beanpole. Idk how much mass he’ll be able to put on. But he’s tenacious enough, works hard enough, and learns fast enough to bother other centers.

And as just mentioned above, Willie still looked like a sting bean, but got stronger as he aged. No doubt that will happen with HG as well.
On the other hand, Donte Greene and Jason Thompson both tried to fill out their bodies and wound up hurting their careers in the process (in Donte's case it was because he got fat but in JT's case he would work out so hard during the summer that his added muscle mass made him too bulky and immobile to be useful).

LMAO at some acting as if he's ever gonna be Shaq or Embiid. Or needs to be.
There's no issue with his body type. Some dudes are just lean, and others not so much. It is what it is. Move on.
Who mentioned Shaq? Only you.
Who mentioned Embiid? One person (ESP47), who said it would take a few years, if ever, for Harry to transform his body like Embiid did.
I don't see the discussion that you are referring to where people are wanting Harry to develop a Shaq-like body.

Who mentioned Embiid? One person (ESP47), who said it would take a few years, if ever, for Harry to transform his body like Embiid did.
I don't see the discussion that you are referring to where people are wanting Harry to develop a Shaq-like body.
Yeah I just meant he's not going to change overnight. Look at Steven Adams when he first came into the league compared to his body type now.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
1569103786679.png

This is a picture of Giannis Antetokounmpo in 2013 when he was drafted. He measured out at 6'9" and 190 lbs. Four months later he measured out at 6'10". By 2014 he had grown to 6'11" and weighed 217 lbs. 2016 he was up to 222 lbs and at the beginning of last season he weighed out at 252 lbs.

1569104331730.png

Obviously, I'm not saying Giles will follow the same journey, but there's no reason to believe that in a couple more years Giles will look quite different.

I think he’s capable of shooting 3’s and being decent at it and I have considered him a decent shooter.
Having only played around 60 nba games and finally being with the big club for the rest of the season after Christmas I am led to believe he played the roll the coaches wanted him to play.

Now having said that with the value of a 3 point shooting big is in the NBA I would think his outside shooting chances will increase with time.

Giles is 20, and has been groomed for the NBA since almost the beginning of the decade. The Greek freak was an impoverished 18 year old, and made one of the biggest transformations ever.
Harry can improve his body, but a comparison to Giannis is extreme.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Giles is 20, and has been groomed for the NBA since almost the beginning of the decade. The Greek freak was an impoverished 18 year old, and made one of the biggest transformations ever.
Harry can improve his body, but a comparison to Giannis is extreme.
Why is it extreme? I can show you many examples just like that one. Make no mistake, I'm not comparing Giannis abilities to Giles, but I'am comparing their body types. It makes no difference when or how Giles was groomed for the NBA. Nature takes it's course whatever that course may be. Karl Malone came into the league weighing around 210 Lbs, and eventually weighed around 255. Giles has the frame to carry more weight, and if he puts in the work and eats right, there's no reason to believe he won't eventually end up at a playing weight of around 235/240.

Why is it extreme? I can show you many examples just like that one. Make no mistake, I'm not comparing Giannis abilities to Giles, but I'am comparing their body types. It makes no difference when or how Giles was groomed for the NBA. Nature takes it's course whatever that course may be. Karl Malone came into the league weighing around 210 Lbs, and eventually weighed around 255. Giles has the frame to carry more weight, and if he puts in the work and eats right, there's no reason to believe he won't eventually end up at a playing weight of around 235/240.
Giles already weighed in at 232 lbs during the combine...

Who doesn’t understand that I was exaggerating in making my point? I never stated that someone specifically mentioned Shaq. You’re heading in the wrong direction.

The point was that some have unrealistic expectations about what Harry Giles body can and should become and are over critical and overly fixated on the wrong thing. Sorry for confusing you.

Obviously, I'm not saying Giles will follow the same journey, but there's no reason to believe that in a couple more years Giles will look quite different.
Very possible. But it’s also possible he may not have a frame capable of transforming his body much more than it already is. Guess we’ll just have to see over time.

For me, it looks pretty clear that the kid is working very hard during his offseason’s so I’m not at all worried about it. If he gets bigger and improves because of it, great. But if he doesn’t get much bigger I’m not going to care or be critical because it won’t be because he doesn’t work hard.

He looks about the same size, just cut up. Can't transform your body over the course of a summer or two. He's not going to go from his regular body to Embiid's body overnight, if ever. WCS's body didn't look a whole lot different over the years but he definitely got stronger with age.
WCS likely didn’t work as hard as Giles does. I’m just speculating, but the prove is in the pudding with that one if you ask me.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
He looks about the same size, just cut up. Can't transform your body over the course of a summer or two. He's not going to go from his regular body to Embiid's body overnight, if ever. WCS's body didn't look a whole lot different over the years but he definitely got stronger with age.
To be fair, Embiid has a bad back and Brandon Roy-esque arthritic knees so I'm not quite sure Embiid's body is the one to be striving for.