Greg Ostertag

He was brought in for defense and rebounding. He has contributed DNP's.
Is he injured or is he earning himself benchtime? What is the latest on him?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Heuge said:
He was brought in for defense and rebounding. He has contributed DNP's.
Is he injured or is he earning himself benchtime? What is the latest on him?
Good question.

Personally I think they rushed him back from injury too quickly, he is out of shape, and they realized that after a few ineffective performances. He'll be back once he's in better shape I'm sure.

I hope you are right. His play is a big deal for us this year. I do not think it is a coincidence that we are struggling on defense and some rebounding.

To be honest.... this is Greg Ostertag we're talking about.
He's actually playing up to my expectations - and I didn't have absolutely any.

Sloter, yup.

That's what I've been saying all along. People expect too much out of Ostertag. The only reason he was ever called a key to Utah's success was because they never had anyone else who could play the 5. On any team, with any legitimate big men, Ostertag would not feature at all. It's kind of sad actually that this team counts on Ostertag to contribute to something.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Stojakovic said:
Sloter, yup.

That's what I've been saying all along. People expect too much out of Ostertag. The only reason he was ever called a key to Utah's success was because they never had anyone else who could play the 5. On any team, with any legitimate big men, Ostertag would not feature at all. It's kind of sad actually that this team counts on Ostertag to contribute to something.
and yet we do need him

Bricklayer

Stojakovic said:
Sloter, yup.

There are only a handful of teams in the league with a better backup C than Tag. Such is the state of the center positon in the NBA.

In any case nobody ever called Tag a key to the Jazz's success. But he was a part of it. He does a couple of things quite well. And they happen to be a couple of things which we are utterly miserbale at without him. He has his uses for a team such as ourselves.

Bricklayer said:
There are only a handful of teams in the league with a better backup C than Tag.
Don't mean to harp on Tag, he did break his hand, but so far there are many nba teams with a better backup center. On paper he is great, but what has he done as a King.

Bricklayer

Heuge said:
Don't mean to harp on Tag, he did break his hand, but so far there are many nba teams with a better backup center. On paper he is great, but what has he done as a King.
Well that's kind of ridiculous 7 games into a season when talking about a 9 yr pro who broke his hand and missed all of training camp.

At this point in his career we know exactly what Tag is and is not. There is no mystery here.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Well tonight he played 7 min, got 3 boards, and prety much makde the paint a no fly zone during those 7 min (not that Denver was shooting inside that much anyway) I'd say IF he were needed for more min against biger teams we can expect similar numbers. But lest face it the PREFERD line up in most cases is to keep either Brad or Webb on the floor and bring in Darius at PF. Like I said against teams with biger line ups Tag may be needed for biger min, but agaist alot of the smaller faster teams that seem to be more common right now he is not the guy you want out there. Think of him as a specialty tool, sort of a 20 lb sledge hammer. Not usefull and potentialy damaging for fine carpentry, but if you wnat to break down a rock wall defense or force the outside shot, drag it off the bench.

HndsmCelt said:
Well tonight he played 7 min, got 3 boards, and prety much makde the paint a no fly zone during those 7 min (not that Denver was shooting inside that much anyway) I'd say IF he were needed for more min against biger teams we can expect similar numbers. But lest face it the PREFERD line up in most cases is to keep either Brad or Webb on the floor and bring in Darius at PF. Like I said against teams with biger line ups Tag may be needed for biger min, but agaist alot of the smaller faster teams that seem to be more common right now he is not the guy you want out there. Think of him as a specialty tool, sort of a 20 lb sledge hammer. Not usefull and potentialy damaging for fine carpentry, but if you wnat to break down a rock wall defense or force the outside shot, drag it off the bench.
Couldn't agree more. He is a big body that maybe won't block the shot but will certainly effect it. Bottom line is I think it was a good signing.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
HndsmCelt said:
Tag will earn his money in the postseason; when the games slow down, and teams start to take their offense inside more, we need a big body to clog the lane, and Tag does that about as good as anybody.

Brad and Chris are getting better as surrogates for Vlade in game orchestration and passing. I don't think Vlade would have gotten the rebounds that Ostertag got tonight, at least that was what crossed my mind when he came up with the ball. He is also not afraid to foul a prospective layerupper. I think even Peja whacked somebody tonight. I might have been dreaming.

I'm cutting Tag some slack for now. He definitely doesn't look anywhere close to 100%, but I think the team could really use him down the stretch. I'm not expecting much from him now, but hopefully he'll get back soon.

Last night in the Postgame Newsconference, Adelman said Tag wont play against the more athletic teams/running teams. That why he didnt play Tag. Its the same thing he said in the preseason and the same threads we had here about it BTC... Before The Crash.:p

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
Tag will earn his money in the postseason; when the games slow down, and teams start to take their offense inside more, we need a big body to clog the lane, and Tag does that about as good as anybody.
Good Point.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
ILV said:
The post season usually involves Dallas so I doubt tag will be earning his money in the post season.
Dallas isn't the only team we're likely to face in the post-season and even if it was, it's nice to know there is someone who can clog the paint, block shots, etc.

To me, the bottom line is pretty clear. Vlade left. There was a gaping hole on the bench created by his departure. Petrie went out and found someone who could block shots, clog the paint, get a few boards and in general give Miller a little breathing time.

VF21 said:
Dallas isn't the only team we're likely to face in the post-season and even if it was, it's nice to know there is someone who can clog the paint, block shots, etc.

To me, the bottom line is pretty clear. Vlade left. There was a gaping hole on the bench created by his departure. Petrie went out and found someone who could block shots, clog the paint, get a few boards and in general give Miller a little breathing time.
They offered Tag more than they offered Vlade...they made the choice more than anyone, I think they made a mistake...its my opinion.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
quick dog said:
Has Vlade played any minutes this season?
Nope
PS by way of clarification the Kings have not divulged how much Tag is making nor the spesifics of what was offered to Vlade. So the idea that they offerd Tag more tahn they offerd Vlade is higly debateable, and many belive the deals were quite similar.

They're usually pretty close when it comes to totals and yearly salaries. The only problems I've seen with hoopshype.com is when it comes to options and such.

It doesn't matter what they offer 'Tag vs. what they offered Vlade; the key thing to remember is that the Lakers offered Vlade more than the Kings did and almost certainly more than the Kings offered 'Tag.