Votes: 39 52.7%
  • C

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F - can we get Vlade back please?

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
Going B. Not a home-run off-season, but bringing back our VERY good top 8 for another season, locking up Domas, one of the best players in franchise history, potentially finding a hidden gem in Vezenkov, and adding some very intriguing depth pieces like Duarte/Jones/Noel for nothing are all just solid very good moves. And honestly, the only FA contract I think we had any sort of chance of getting was Grant Williams at 4/53. And he was a RFA regardless.

Brooks for 4/80? God No.
Cam Johnson for 4/94? Eh, hard to see how he actually pays that deal off. But maybe could work
Grant for 5/163? LOL.
Strus for 4/63? LOL,
Kuzma for 4/100? LOL
FVV for 3/130??? LOL
Bruce Brown 2/45? LOL
Rui for 3/53? If his Lakers showing was real, that can pay off, but he has a large sample of the rest of his career of just being absolutely terrible.
Poeltl 4/78? He's an awesome player, but damn that's a lot of cash for the 15th best C (and only a C) and also can't shoot

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Was torn between the B and the A. In the end if I was going to go by acquisitions alone, it was a B. We hope Vezenkov is going to be a pretty big plus for us, but we just don't know yet. Duarte and maybe Noel and Jones have the chance to fill in a little bit of time and maybe give us some defense that the guys filling those roles last year couldn't give. But when I look at the offseason in terms of what we didn't do, it rises to an A. We had a solid core with key players just entering their prime, and we didn't mess with it. Didn't get in on the splashy trades for expensive vets where we'd have to jettison three young core pieces and a pick to get an older core piece back and try to integrate it. Didn't go spending big money on mediocre free agent targets, instead just bringing back Barnes, that reliable rock in the middle of our rotation.

This team came into the offseason still on a huge upwards trajectory, and the biggest goal was to not shoot ourselves down. We did not. A.

To not be totally biased and also to temper my enthusiam, I went with ‘B’ also.

They extended one of their 2 marquee players to a contract that isn’t too large considering the other contracts that have been handed out — a player they gave up a lot to acquire btw — and also retained a valuable and coveted veteran 2-way player in HB for a very reasonable contract.

Those two moves alone made it a winning offseason IMO.

Then adding the Euro league MVP for an inexpensive contract, along with Duarte, qualifies it as a very good offseason.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
B.
I’m still not thrilled about the thought of Barnes on this team still, but after seeing what everyone else got I accept it. Sasha is intriguing, but I’m not sold on the translation to NBA. Just have to hope everyone makes a jump in year 2 under Brown. I have no doubt Keegan jumps, fingers crossed Fox and Domas stay at All-NBA level. Can’t afford any regression.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Monte looked for a big swing, it didn't materialize, he didn't panic as a result, he didn't load his cap with horrendous contracts. B but if short term refinement is needed, he has the potential to make this an A+ as far as moves might go.

Was torn between the B and the A. In the end if I was going to go by acquisitions alone, it was a B. We hope Vezenkov is going to be a pretty big plus for us, but we just don't know yet. Duarte and maybe Noel and Jones have the chance to fill in a little bit of time and maybe give us some defense that the guys filling those roles last year couldn't give. But when I look at the offseason in terms of what we didn't do, it rises to an A. We had a solid core with key players just entering their prime, and we didn't mess with it. Didn't get in on the splashy trades for expensive vets where we'd have to jettison three young core pieces and a pick to get an older core piece back and try to integrate it. Didn't go spending big money on mediocre free agent targets, instead just bringing back Barnes, that reliable rock in the middle of our rotation.

This team came into the offseason still on a huge upwards trajectory, and the biggest goal was to not shoot ourselves down. We did not. A.
Yeah something I've been thinking about too is how this off-season was probably correct to just stick in a holding pattern and progress internally. Our top 8 WAS very good and being able to retain your guys isn't just standing pat; keeping your core together is a skill in itself that few good teams get the luxury of doing. And now we'll get another year of information on what actually needs to be changed with this team with our picks coming back under control after next years draft.

Also when's the last time we had any sort of calm about our most important organizational slots being solidified for 3+ years?

Monte
Brown
Domas
Fox
Keegan (maybe?)

All are here long-term. The Kings finally have established their franchise pillars with quality/reliable players and coaches. That shouldn't be lost on an organization that's just been in utter disarray for 16 years. It's now about finding the right supporting cast around these guys and maximizing their skill-set. That's it. No more wondering who the franchise players are, or who's going to be coaching, or when our GM is going to be a dumb move.

I went C. I appreciate that we have a good core, and I'm satisfied that we didn't over-spend on middling free agents ( aside from extending Barnes.)

The Front Office seems to want to reward guys who bought into the culture last year. That's good as far as it goes, but we only made it to the first round. The Kings didn't leverage every opportunity to improve their talent-level this off-season.

How much of a window does this core have? The iron seems hot, why are we letting it cool off?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Going B. Not a home-run off-season, but bringing back our VERY good top 8 for another season, locking up Domas, one of the best players in franchise history, potentially finding a hidden gem in Vezenkov, and adding some very intriguing depth pieces like Duarte/Jones/Noel for nothing are all just solid very good moves. And honestly, the only FA contract I think we had any sort of chance of getting was Grant Williams at 4/53. And he was a RFA regardless.

Brooks for 4/80? God No.
Cam Johnson for 4/94? Eh, hard to see how he actually pays that deal off. But maybe could work
Grant for 5/163? LOL.
Strus for 4/63? LOL,
Kuzma for 4/100? LOL
FVV for 3/130??? LOL
Bruce Brown 2/45? LOL
Rui for 3/53? If his Lakers showing was real, that can pay off, but he has a large sample of the rest of his career of just being absolutely terrible.
Poeltl 4/78? He's an awesome player, but damn that's a lot of cash for the 15th best C (and only a C) and also can't shoot
This is pretty much my thought process as well. I was hoping for an upgrade from Barnes but (1) most of these deals would have hamstrung the team moving forward and (2) even at these ridiculous prices there's no guarantee any of them would have chosen the Kings or (in the case of RFAs) that their team wouldn't have matched.

Would Kuzma have been okay with being a 4th option? It doesn't sound that way.

Would the extra $12M per year for Jerami Grant have meant significantly more wins? I don't think so, and it hampers the ability to re-sign Monk which I still view as a huge key to this team.

We'll see.

I went C. I appreciate that we have a good core, and I'm satisfied that we didn't over-spend on middling free agents ( aside from extending Barnes.)

The Front Office seems to want to reward guys who bought into the culture last year. That's good as far as it goes, but we only made it to the first round. The Kings didn't leverage every opportunity to improve their talent-level this off-season.

How much of a window does this core have? The iron seems hot, why are we letting it cool off?
I guess my question is here is without trading Keegan...what leverage? He would have given us access to any of that Siakam/OG/Beal/Lavine type of talent, but is that worth it in the end? And without control of our FRP, what does Huerter/Davion+26 FRP+28 FRP get you?

gunks

Hall of Famer
B...

I wasn't blown away, but I dig our core so I'm not too mad about "rolling it back" either.

The main thing I wanted that didn't happen was moving on from HB. Seems like we're gambling on Keegan making a sophomore jump, and Barnes might just move to the bench (where he belongs!) either way before his new contract is up, so I can't get too mad about bringing him back.

I guess my question is here is without trading Keegan...what leverage? He would have given us access to any of that Siakam/OG/Beal/Lavine type of talent, but is that worth it in the end? And without control of our FRP, what does Huerter/Davion+26 FRP+28 FRP get you?
I was thinking we could find a better use for our 24th pick than using it as an incentive to help us dump Holmes' contract. And the cap space created was flushed on extensions and resignings (it isn't clear to me why we needed to clear salary to do that stuff, aren't Bird rights a thing?)

I don't have better trade scenarios, but it's not my assignment. I gave a C because the work lacks any creativity or inspiration, but not incompetent or reckless.

Last edited:
I'm not even sure what an A+ LTB would have been. I think truely running the same guys back would have been a low C. I think everything done was at minimum "not a mistake"(resignings, FAs and draft) to "slightly improved"(I think sasha>barnes). I wish there would have been a decent backup center around. Not sure what "star" was available that would have fit. I didnt think anyone I was hearing about was worth the prices.

Im giving it a B-

There are a lot of unknowns coming out of this offseason that will require a season to judge. Interesting offseason that way. Benefit of the doubt at this stage goes to the reigning EOY.

There were also a couple really nifty little moves (Duarte, Noel).

He stabilized what needed to be stabilized and brought in a couple really interesting pieces that could make this thing really click.

I also give some credit to letting go of some pieces that weren't optimal.

Overall, deftly handled.

A

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member

All of this, but also we got Barnes at a steal of a deal compared to others dished out this offseason for similar-type players. We had to get out from under Holmes's contract to free up some $$$ and I bet once Kris was off the board there weren't any deals out there for the pick that made the FO excited. We locked in the MIP on the team (Domas) to a long-term deal. We now have control over the coach, GM, and the best players on the team for the foreseeable future. We didn't blow our $$$ on a crazy contract for a post-peak vet. Our team has only had one year to work with the coach and can hit the ground running next year instead of starting from scratch. Lots of potential improvements are possible from new play variations, improvements from key players (including Keegan, etc.), and improvements in 3-point shooting. The new guys hopefully help clear up a few issues we had at the end of the bench. All in all, not splashy, but look where splashy got Dallas, etc., last year. Splashy doesn't always work.

Solid B.

My favorite move was Sasha 3/20 w Team Option. Love that. More solid value work from Monte with Duarte and Noel signings. I was ready to move on from Barnes but don't hate the contract. Felt like we didn't get enough for #24 even tho Holmes had to go. Happy to keep Sabonas.

The core that was assembled in pretty much one offseason is early to mid 20s age wise, and in their first year broke a 17 year playoff drought. Your prized rookie is older but capable of major improvement as is evidenced by his 2 game SL shutdown performance. Run it back. Let them grow together, they obviously had a great time together their first year. Let's see what continuity, internal growth, and some peripheral tinkering can bring.

Solid B.

As an aside, being disappointed in what is going on is pretty stupid. "Strike while the iron is hot instead of letting it cool" what kind of take is that? The Kings are being slept on regardless, the whole of the NBA thinks last year was a fluke. Adding Vezenkov, Duarte, and to a lesser extent Noel and Jones might look like peripheral tinkering, middle managing, but it's extremely smart. We had Vlade. We had Pete. We had PUKE Walton, amongst MANY other coaches and interim GMs.

The Kings finally have stability and a future with a young core and running it back with some minor improvements is somehow disappointing? This is a 45-60 win team for the next half decade, how tf is that disappointing? Have you even been here the last 15 years lol

The core that was assembled in pretty much one offseason is early to mid 20s age wise, and in their first year broke a 17 year playoff drought. Your prized rookie is older but capable of major improvement as is evidenced by his 2 game SL shutdown performance. Run it back. Let them grow together, they obviously had a great time together their first year. Let's see what continuity, internal growth, and some peripheral tinkering can bring.

Solid B.

As an aside, being disappointed in what is going on is pretty stupid. "Strike while the iron is hot instead of letting it cool" what kind of take is that? The Kings are being slept on regardless, the whole of the NBA thinks last year was a fluke. Adding Vezenkov, Duarte, and to a lesser extent Noel and Jones might look like peripheral tinkering, middle managing, but it's extremely smart. We had Vlade. We had Pete. We had PUKE Walton, amongst MANY other coaches and interim GMs.

The Kings finally have stability and a future with a young core and running it back with some minor improvements is somehow disappointing? This is a 45-60 win team for the next half decade, how tf is that disappointing? Have you even been here the last 15 years lol
Solid points.

We won 48 games last year, but this team, the second the horn sounded on the Warriors series, was not a 48 win team. We had the second best record in the WC after the all-star break, and that was over an extremely tough schedule. That's a large enough sample size to know improvement had already happened. So, saying we didn't make major improvements to a 48 win team, while technically correct, doesn't quite reflect the whole picture.

This team, before this offseason, was a 53 win ballclub (.640 winning percentage post ASB). But we did make improvements. We have a legit shot at 55 or even 60 wins this next year.

If we go from "48" wins to 55 - this offseason is going to be looked at entirely differently. But that's where we're headed. 55 wins is well within reach. We could easily be the top seed in the West. That should be the goal going into next season.

Solid points.

We won 48 games last year, but this team, the second the horn sounded on the Warriors series, was not a 48 win team. We had the second best record in the WC after the all-star break, and that was over an extremely tough schedule. That's a large enough sample size to know improvement had already happened. So, saying we didn't make major improvements to a 48 win team, while technically correct, doesn't quite reflect the whole picture.

This team, before this offseason, was a 53 win ballclub (.640 winning percentage post ASB). But we did make improvements. We have a legit shot at 55 or even 60 wins this next year.

If we go from "48" wins to 55 - this offseason is going to be looked at entirely differently. But that's where we're headed. 55 wins is well within reach. We could easily be the top seed in the West. That should be the goal going into next season.
60 wins I don’t know about that

60 wins I don’t know about that
We had a .640 winning percentage against the toughest stretch of our schedule. We made improvements to the roster, plus our own players are improving. We have some very high upside situations as well.

I don't know about it either - that's why it's listed as a top end possible. But it's within reason to think we have a chance at that if things click.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think B. But he's got a consistent level of work, so it's not like he got an A+ in PE and getting a medal while he's bombing his core courses.

We had a .640 winning percentage against the toughest stretch of our schedule. We made improvements to the roster, plus our own players are improving. We have some very high upside situations as well.

I don't know about it either - that's why it's listed as a top end possible. But it's within reason to think we have a chance at that if things click.
if I’m not mistaken there’s only been two 60+ win teams the last five years 60 wins means Murray is a legit 20ppg guy and turned into an all star

if I’m not mistaken there’s only been two 60+ win teams the last five years 60 wins means Murray is a legit 20ppg guy and turned into an all star
Yup.

Probably not all star next season, but that's where he's heading.

I've predicted before he'll be averaging 20 a game by the all star break, and I stand by that. Upper teens at least. 18-20 ish. Our offense as a whole is going to be almost unstoppable next year. He'll benefit from that.

Like I said - 60 is probably the outer limit of possible - but it's not something our players shouldn't think is possible. It's not an unattainable goal.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Or that the Kings built a big cushion early in the year on the teams in transition. Right now, it's probably unlikely that 48 wins nets a 3rd seed next season and if it does that means the West is either just as injured as last season with multiple all stars like KAT, Kawhi, etc. out at times or insanely tough. If the Suns are for real they set the tempo. There are so many variables next season because the Suns and Lakers did outlast the teams they were attempting to jump which were the Kings and Grizzlies. A healthy Zion, the Wolves finally getting it, Morant being out for those games, the Nuggets still being a championship level team, the Warriors not kind of coasting during the season, the Clipps being healthy, the Lakers building on what they had last season, and Luka and Irving finally finding some chemistry aren't just big things, they are major, game shifting things. Those things might have been a big part of why Monte played it pretty safe and smart this offseason once Beal chose the Suns. The hopes going into next season should be that the Suns losing Paul breaks their stride and the Warriors gaining Paul decimates their locker room, haha. That would increase the odds of the Kings breaking into 50 win territory dramatically.

Or that the Kings built a big cushion early in the year on the teams in transition. Right now, it's probably unlikely that 48 wins nets a 3rd seed next season and if it does that means the West is either just as injured as last season with multiple all stars like KAT, Kawhi, etc. out at times or insanely tough. If the Suns are for real they set the tempo. There are so many variables next season because the Suns and Lakers did outlast the teams they were attempting to jump which were the Kings and Grizzlies. A healthy Zion, the Wolves finally getting it, Morant being out for those games, the Nuggets still being a championship level team, the Warriors not kind of coasting during the season, the Clipps being healthy, the Lakers building on what they had last season, and Luka and Irving finally finding some chemistry aren't just big things, they are major, game shifting things. Those things might have been a big part of why Monte played it pretty safe and smart this offseason once Beal chose the Suns. The hopes going into next season should be that the Suns losing Paul breaks their stride and the Warriors gaining Paul decimates their locker room, haha. That would increase the odds of the Kings breaking into 50 win territory dramatically.

Honestly, it might. The West is better and the only actually bad teams are the Spurs and Rockets, both of whom have a pile of young talent that could just be really good on any given night. I think health determines the order of the West again next year; everyone is too good to really separate from each other. And in similar fashion to last year, seeding probably doesn't matter much; the gap between the 1-10 isn't going to be all that staunch.

The Kings took the first step to being a contender last year by being the "surprise" team that no one saw coming. Next year is the start of step 2 where everyone knows we're coming and what we want to do...but they still can't stop it. Keegan being 17-18 PPG this year would be a major help to take that leap. And I think his development is going to determine the upside of our team next year and just honestly for the next 5+; if he blows up, 55+ is absolutely on the table. If he stays around the same, we'll be around the 44-48 win range this year, assuming someone like Davion/Edwards/Duarte don't randomly explode into a high-end starter talent.

This is pretty much my thought process as well. I was hoping for an upgrade from Barnes but (1) most of these deals would have hamstrung the team moving forward and (2) even at these ridiculous prices there's no guarantee any of them would have chosen the Kings or (in the case of RFAs) that their team wouldn't have matched.

Would Kuzma have been okay with being a 4th option? It doesn't sound that way.

Would the extra $12M per year for Jerami Grant have meant significantly more wins? I don't think so, and it hampers the ability to re-sign Monk which I still view as a huge key to this team.

We'll see.
I've taken some flack for this, but I don't think Grant is actually better than HB in terms of impact. At least old Grant that's fallen off as a defender. The fact he's TRIPLE the guaranteed money and 2 extra years is mind-boggling