Grades v. Knicks 01/02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, its a pretty safe speculation. Ron averages 16, pours in 39 at a ridiculous percentage. Meanwhile we let the Knicks pump in 100 against us and the ONLY guy doing anything after half to stop it was Ron. The 13-21 Knicks BTW.
Your right! I thought I was the only one who found it odd that the Kings would run to the offensive side of the court pass the ball to Ron then go sit on the bench and have a drink of water until Ron tried to stop them from scoring, just in time to run onto the court and bring the ball into Ron. Then theres those other guy's.......... in the Kings uniforms, from my understanding when you make it to the NBA you virtualy have no shot of scoring a basket or for that matter getting hot. Thank goodness for Ron the Kings would of looked pretty silly dribbling the ball down the court and passing the ball back and fourth to each other! (cause if Ron didn't take those shots none of those other NBA guys are capable). oops gotta go........ the kids are playing with my Crystal Ball again.

Miller ( C- ) -- fast start offensively, but on the other end got worked over by everybody he tried to guard in the post. Hit a shot to start the second half, and then had a massive attack of the stupids -- back came the Brad bitter beer face of years past, and after he thought he was fouled on a drive, he barked at the ref, got a T, refused to shutup, and so got himself tossed right out of the game maybe 3 minutes into the second half. Thx Brad. Left the game with 0 rebounds again too -- meaning he may last have had a rebound sometime before Christmas. Hard to impossible to grade, but did not want to wuss out with the Inc.
You are very kind with your grade for Miller. He flatly deserved an F for getting ejected. He should have just kept his mouth shut after he received the first technical.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Making excuses for losing is one thing. This whole trend of making excuses for winning has gotten very old, very quickly IMHO.
It's not an excuse; only a blind homer could have watched the second half of that game and thought that we would have won no matter what.

The fact of the matter is that Artest had a career game. And, without said career game, we lose to the Knicks. At home.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Making excuses for losing is one thing. This whole trend of making excuses for winning has gotten very old, very quickly IMHO.
As has the whole blind homer thing. Long ago. Homers work best when things are going well and you have a top team. They can blend. However when your team struggles to beat the losers of the league then the homer stands out as a starkly deluded pillar in the midst of a bland background.

Here is the non-homerific backdrop to this game: roughly 27 of the 30 teams in the league are favored to win a game at home vs. the New York Knicks. We did so while getting a career performance from one player, who scored 23 more than his season average in a game we won by 12, and was shooting nearly 80% until a couple of garbage time misses.

I also thought it was Bush League to take Kevin out of the game and never again put him back in. Was that to punish him for being a great scorer or something?

I watched his defense on Crawford closely and then watched Salmons defense. Kevin had his hand in Crawford's face, the guy just made shots. Salmons came in and he wasn't up on Crawford anymore than Kevin had been. The guy just started missing shots.

What message was that supposed to send to Kevin?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Hey, sorry if my trying to view my beloved Kings honestly upsets you.

This is NOT a good team. Period. It's a team with no real power forward, a center that most times forgets he's anywhere near 7 feet tall and a lot of turmoil going on.

I applaud every single win but I'm not going to delude myself into believing this is a team capable of doing anything of significance in the playoffs.

You can put your hands over your ears and sing, "La la la la la" or stick your head in the sand, but sooner or later you're going to have to face the cold light of day.

The Kings, as presently constructed, are NOT a championship team. They are not even legitimate contenders. Want proof? Picture a playoff series against the Mavericks. Or the Spurs. Do you honestly think we could take 4 games from either or both of them? HONESTLY?

I think you believe that by criticizing the team or pointing out the weaknesses, that former Pollyanna's like me must no longer love the team. NOTHING could be further from the truth. It's because I do love this team that I'm able to look at it and be objective.

The 2006-2007 Kings, as we see them today, are NOT championship caliber.

Hey, sorry if my trying to view my beloved Kings honestly upsets you.

This is NOT a good team. Period. It's a team with no real power forward, a center that most times forgets he's anywhere near 7 feet tall and a lot of turmoil going on.

I applaud every single win but I'm not going to delude myself into believing this is a team capable of doing anything of significance in the playoffs.

You can put your hands over your ears and sing, "La la la la la" or stick your head in the sand, but sooner or later you're going to have to face the cold light of day.

The Kings, as presently constructed, are NOT a championship team. They are not even legitimate contenders. Want proof? Picture a playoff series against the Mavericks. Or the Spurs. Do you honestly think we could take 4 games from either or both of them? HONESTLY?
Never said that we are contenders......never said that we are one of the best teams in the league.

Many on this board sound spoiled quite frankly. 'Yes we won, but we still suck because we would never beat the Mavericks.' Give it a rest already.

The first step to becoming a good team is winning games. We won last night. Deal with it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Never said that we are contenders......never said that we are one of the best teams in the league.

Many on this board sound spoiled quite frankly. 'Yes we won, but we still suck because we would never beat the Mavericks.' Give it a rest already.

The first step to becoming a good team is winning games. We won last night. Deal with it.
No, I'm not going to give it a rest. I am going to continue to post my opinion of my beloved Kings. I think my years of dedication to the franchise has earned me that right.

I don't understand your apparent anger over the fact that some of us don't want to start the victory parade quite yet. Yes, we celebrate the win BUT for some it's almost as though a victory over the Knicks is proof that this is an elite team. IT'S NOT!

And you have to recognize the superiority of teams like the Spurs and the Mavericks in the Western Conference.

Deal with it? I had no problem whatsoever dealing with it. I'm the one who loves this team enough to sit here night after night in front of my computer typing out a PBP so other fans can share in the game experience.

The first step to becoming a good team isn't winning games. The FIRST step to becoming a good team is realizing when you aren't one.

Have a nice day.

No, I'm not going to give it a rest. I am going to continue to post my opinion of my beloved Kings. I think my years of dedication to the franchise has earned me that right.

I don't understand your apparent anger over the fact that some of us don't want to start the victory parade quite yet. Yes, we celebrate the win BUT for some it's almost as though a victory over the Knicks is proof that this is an elite team. IT'S NOT!

And you have to recognize the superiority of teams like the Spurs and the Mavericks in the Western Conference.

Deal with it? I had no problem whatsoever dealing with it. I'm the one who loves this team enough to sit here night after night in front of my computer typing out a PBP so other fans can share in the game experience.

The first step to becoming a good team isn't winning games. The FIRST step to becoming a good team is realizing when you aren't one.

Have a nice day.
But... wait. We're not GMs. We're just fans.

Whether or not we, as fans, recognize the team's problems matters not. We don't make trades. We don't hire or fire coaches. We don't make draft pickes.

So what we think of the team, is completely and utterly meaningless in whether or not this team takes some first step or not.

I don't have to recognize whether or not this team is ready to beat the Spurs. I just have to cheer them on and hope they do.

If I don't, it doesn't matter either.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You're more than entitled to be the kind of fan you are, Cal-Kings. But message boards don't exist just to root on the team. The part and parcel of a message board is to debate the various points of discussion about the team. It would get very boring around here very quickly without points of debate and discussion.

What we think of the team is why we come to Kingsfans.com.

Let me clarify. I totally understand where you and kupman are coming from. The problem is that our team is nowhere near as good as they were in recent years. We've had to watch them decline, and it hasn't been any easier for me than it has for anyone else. The tougest part, however, is the mercurial attitudes some fans seem to have. They're way to excited over wins and they become downright suicidal over losses. That's why when someone (just talking in general terms here) is ridiculously giddy about one or two games, a lot of us who have been around here a LONG time will try and be a little more realistic.

One game doesn't make a championship team OR a lottery team. It's the whole season. Remember how the board looked a short while ago? Not winning had people ready to fire the coach, fire the players, etc.

You and kupman seem to think that by pointing out shortcomings it means we - or at least I - don't support and root for this team with every fibre of my being. That's simply not true. I do love this team. Have from the beginning. I will continue to love them regardless of their W-L record. I have, as I pointed out in another thread, however, lowered my expectations because I just don't believe they're capable of the same kind of performance night in and night out that some of our past teams have had.

This is the grade thread. Bricklayer grades the player performances and everyone chimes in... discussing/arguing (civilized of course) about whether some grades are too high, some are too low, etc. I don't think we're on opposite sides, bottom line. I think some may be misunderstanding the approach some of us long-timers have adopted over recent years to deal with disappointment after disappointment.

Last edited:
You're more than entitled to be the kind of fan you are, Cal-Kings. But message boards don't exist just to root on the team. The part and parcel of a message board is to debate the various points of discussion about the team. It would get very boring around here very quickly without points of debate and discussion.

Certainly.

And I understand why we all have our views on the team.

But where I got confused is saying something like "The first step to solving a problem is admitting you have one" when it's not us who have the problem, it's the team. And we can't do anything to change the make-up of the team.

We can only discuss it on an internet forum. :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Certainly.

And I understand why we all have our views on the team.

But where I got confused is saying something like "The first step to solving a problem is admitting you have one" when it's not us who have the problem, it's the team. And we can't do anything to change the make-up of the team.

We can only discuss it on an internet forum. :)
The comment that you're confused by was addressed at that small handful of fans who doesn't even want to admit this is anything less than an elite, contending team. My comment is that unless they see the problems they actually aren't really going to appreciate the improvement when it does come...and I truly believe it will.

(Sorry, BTW. I edited my comments while you were writing yours...)

I don't know, playing the what if game is pretty pointless imho. Yeah, if Artest plays crappy, we lose, but if Brad doesn't get ejected, and Martin played more minutes, or another player steps up, maybe we win anyways, you know? It's like talking about how we were a couple of free throws away from the finals and probably the championship...it didn't happen that way, and no amount of hindsite is going to change that. A win is a win, and I'm happy we won this game, even if it was to the Knicks, at home.

P.S. Go Kings!

In that case, the Clippers should have won a title a long time ago.

I am not going to argue with you on this one VF. I am just saying that all the "yeah, buts" after the Kings win is tiresome to me.

110% agree with it getting old when people rip on the team after a win. There's no way to know that the Kings would've lost had Artest not had a career game. I get so sick of the half-empty views, game after game after game. If the Kings beat a bad team, people quickly point out that it's only b/c one of our guys stepped up. If Kings lose to a bad team, these people complain b/c none of our guys stepped up. If Kings beat a good team, well then of course it's purely luck. If you don't think your team is or at least CAN BE a contender, don't watch the games. Why pay to see a movie you think will suck? Don't waste anyone's time.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
If you don't think your team is or at least CAN BE a contender, don't watch the games. Why pay to see a movie you think will suck? Don't waste anyone's time.
So that's why we had that huge sellout streak during the fifteen consecutive season of losing; all those fans actually believed that we could contend... Riiiiight...

110% agree with it getting old when people rip on the team after a win. There's no way to know that the Kings would've lost had Artest not had a career game. I get so sick of the half-empty views, game after game after game. If the Kings beat a bad team, people quickly point out that it's only b/c one of our guys stepped up. If Kings lose to a bad team, these people complain b/c none of our guys stepped up. If Kings beat a good team, well then of course it's purely luck. If you don't think your team is or at least CAN BE a contender, don't watch the games. Why pay to see a movie you think will suck? Don't waste anyone's time.
AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've seen this board when the Kings lose and I've seen it when they win don't see a whole lot of difference. Don't believe me? Don't watch a game, don't watch the highlights, don't read the newspaper, don't listen to the radio, just log on here read the posts, the grades, the comments and see if you can figure out if they won or lost!

Let me clarify. I totally understand where you and kupman are coming from. The problem is that our team is nowhere near as good as they were in recent years. We've had to watch them decline, and it hasn't been any easier for me than it has for anyone else. The tougest part, however, is the mercurial attitudes some fans seem to have. They're way to excited over wins and they become downright suicidal over losses. That's why when someone (just talking in general terms here) is ridiculously giddy about one or two games, a lot of us who have been around here a LONG time will try and be a little more realistic.

One game doesn't make a championship team OR a lottery team. It's the whole season. Remember how the board looked a short while ago? Not winning had people ready to fire the coach, fire the players, etc.

You and kupman seem to think that by pointing out shortcomings it means we - or at least I - don't support and root for this team with every fibre of my being. That's simply not true. I do love this team. Have from the beginning. I will continue to love them regardless of their W-L record. I have, as I pointed out in another thread, however, lowered my expectations because I just don't believe they're capable of the same kind of performance night in and night out that some of our past teams have had.

This is the grade thread. Bricklayer grades the player performances and everyone chimes in... discussing/arguing (civilized of course) about whether some grades are too high, some are too low, etc. I don't think we're on opposite sides, bottom line. I think some may be misunderstanding the approach some of us long-timers have adopted over recent years to deal with disappointment after disappointment.
Wait... now I'm more confused.

I didn't even read Kupman so I have no idea why I'm being compared to him.

Besides, wasn't I chided in another thread for bashing the team too much?

Plus, I don't recall ever saying you don't support this team. I'd have absolutely no reason to say such nonsense. The fact that anyone is here writing (except for a troll) obviously means they are extremely interested in this team.

All I read was your post that I first responded and was confused why it mattered to anybody what another fan sees or doesn't see about the team.

I also don't understand why I'm lumped outside some "long timer" catagory when you have no idea how many years I've followed this team. Just because I'm relatively new to this forum doesn't mean I don't understand sports, or what it means to be a fan. However, I do understand and appreciate the explanation of the "grades" thread, although I think I already had a clear idea what it was about.

This comment though:

That's why when someone (just talking in general terms here) is ridiculously giddy about one or two games, a lot of us who have been around here a LONG time will try and be a little more realistic.
It's all good to be realistic from your perspective. I don't see why, if another fan is giddy about a win, that should bother anybody. Just as I don't see why, if a fan is always negative, that should bother anybody.

I guess I took your post as trying a little too hard to control the emotions of others to fit within your perspective of what is proper for a fan to feel. I apologize if this was not your intent.

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've seen this board when the Kings lose and I've seen it when they win don't see a whole lot of difference. Don't believe me? Don't watch a game, don't watch the highlights, don't read the newspaper, don't listen to the radio, just log on here read the posts, the grades, the comments and see if you can figure out if they won or lost!
I understand that it's hard to have someone pop your balloon of happiness when you finally feel good after a win.

However, I think what VF21 is saying is, from his (her?) perspective, one win does not a season make.

I say, go ahead and celebrate. And then come on back and yell and scream and tell us how badly the team sucks after we lose.

It's all good. It's all part of being a fan and riding the roller coaster.

Now, reading this again. My last two posts sound a lot like what I was complaining about myself. Now I sound like I'm trying to tell people how they should post.

Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.