[Grades] Grades/post-game discussion v. Raptors - 12/17

dude12

Hall of Famer
Papa just can’t defend the pick and roll. It’s not that he doesn’t understand it like Skal, it’s he is just to slow to stop the guard driving to the basket. Every time he came in they attacked him immediately.

Some chance exists Skal might increase in IQ but I’m not sure how Papa magically gets more foot speed. Both Skal and Papa point to the need for better bigs. I say play them a lot and 1) remove any doubt 2) put yourself in position for Bagly or Ayton. I’m worried about Porters back.
I like Papa quite a bit and think he's going to be ok on the offensive end but have to agree with you on the defensive shortcomings. The only thing though is he works his tail off and said in the yesterday's interview that he continues to work on it with the coaches.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I guess the question is - how would Buddy look playing under Pop? How would Fox be developed? Granted, situations are different, but I really feel that our young guys have much shorter leashes and aren't able to play sufficiently to show consistent good performance. As I said in another post, it's too early to judge whether doing so is beneficial or detrimental, but it does mean that our young guys aren't going off for 40 points on 25FGA anytime soon.
This goes back a long ways, and if there's somebody out there that remembers clearly please feel free to correct or add to my recollection, but I remember Pop having a very short lease with Tony Parker and him getting into his grill repeatedly during his first couple of years in the league. I was wondering if Parker was going to crumble mentally because Pop berated him so much. Parker obviously went through the fire, and all to his benefit, but he certainly had to pay an early price from what I can recall.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Papa just can’t defend the pick and roll. It’s not that he doesn’t understand it like Skal, it’s he is just to slow to stop the guard driving to the basket. Every time he came in they attacked him immediately.

Some chance exists Skal might increase in IQ but I’m not sure how Papa magically gets more foot speed. Both Skal and Papa point to the need for better bigs. I say play them a lot and 1) remove any doubt 2) put yourself in position for Bagly or Ayton. I’m worried about Porters back.
I tend to agree with you about Papa. To me he shows some real potential on offense, but it's hard to envision him being able to stop someone on D. I'm a lot more optimistic on Skal.

Another game that brings hope for the future without sacrificing our top 5 pick in 2018.
Skal... well, just, er, nevermind.
The Race to the Bottom is pretty intense, with the exception of the Bulls current 5-game win streak. :eek:

After the Hawks stuck at the bottom with 6 wins, there are 10 teams between 8-11 wins with the Kings stuck in the middle with 9 whopping wins.

If the Kings were to hypothetically going to go on a win streak they could jump all the way 11th worst in the league and still be on the outside of the playoffs.

The team has work to do to get worse if they want to get one of those Top 5 picks in 2018. Achin' for Ayton!

Ultimately, I would not worry about the losses pilling up.

The Kings have the worst point differential in the league and this is a good indication of where a team is headed W/L.

The Race to the Bottom is pretty intense, with the exception of the Bulls current 5-game win streak. :eek:

After the Hawks stuck at the bottom with 6 wins, there are 10 teams between 8-11 wins with the Kings stuck in the middle with 9 whopping wins.

If the Kings were to hypothetically going to go on a win streak they could jump all the way 11th worst in the league and still be on the outside of the playoffs.

The team has work to do to get worse if they want to get one of those Top 5 picks in 2018. Achin' for Ayton!

The Kings have the worst point differential in the league and this is a good indication of where a team is headed W/L.
RACE TO THE BOTTOM ! No way will the Kings win that. Top 5 pick? No. Top 15 pick? Yes, and it’s fine with me.

RACE TO THE BOTTOM ! No way will the Kings win that. Top 5 pick? No. Top 15 pick? Yes, and it’s fine with me.
What are you basing this projection on? There's absolutely NO objective data to project the Kings will NOT be a Bottom 5 team.

The Kings point differential is the worst in the NBA. This means the Kings are effectively the least competitive team in the NBA.

We would need to see an emergence of Fox or Skal or perhaps Giles becoming a rotational guy and becoming a consistent impact player.

Since the Blazers win we have seen competitiveness improve, with Frank added to the mix, and other tinkering, but this is also coincides with Z-Bo explosion.

Is Z-Bo going to continue to light it up at 60% TS (while giving up as many or more points on the other end) to keep us relatively competitive? Highly doubtful.

There's some good things happening but the overall picture is consistent with a team that looks Bottom 5.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What are you basing this projection on? There's absolutely NO objective data to project the Kings will NOT be a Bottom 5 team.

The Kings point differential is the worst in the NBA. This means the Kings are effectively the least competitive team in the NBA.

We would need to see an emergence of Fox or Skal or perhaps Giles becoming a rotational guy and becoming a consistent impact player.

Since the Blazers win we have seen competitiveness improve, with Frank added to the mix, and other tinkering, but this is also coincides with Z-Bo explosion.

Is Z-Bo going to continue to light it up at 60% TS (while giving up as many or more points on the other end) to keep us relatively competitive? Highly doubtful.

There's some good things happening but the overall picture is consistent with a team that looks Bottom 5.
Objective data? Not every post has to be based on objective data which is still not perfect. I happen to agree with pshn80. I don't think we'll end up in the bottom 5 either.

You’re right, there isn’t. But like all other goals it’ unlikely we make it under 5.

Here's a funny thought. Z-bud is here on a two year deal and we may not be able to find any takers or they might not want to trade him at all really. Say we end up with Ayton (or Bagley. Or any big really). Are we gonna have to watch what would be the #1 investment for our franchise get the same treatment we're seeing now with some of the guys so the Z-bud show can continue under Dave Joerger?

I see them posted when they win, when they lose, you won't see them. At least not from the Sacramento Kings youtube page nor the Cowbell Kingdom
I'd like to find a site that posts their interviews. Do you know anything?
They don't even post practice interviews anymore either.