Grade the trade

Grade the trade

• Total voters
A+.

IMO, definitely the best trade Petrie did for the past six to seven years. Thank God we don't have to deal with a softie center and a malcontent 3-point chucking and overpayed player anymore. I hope Beno is next because he is another on-and-off type of player.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
no i wasnt and for everyone that deemed that name as "inappropriate" again i didn't create it and it seriously meant .... his game was as bland as soggy waffles
It was I, blatant Spencer Hawes supporter, that created the nickname Soggy Waffles. Now that he's gone, my biggest mistake (other than killing that hooker in Vegas) can go with him.

A

Reasons:
1. Spencer is young and already has injury issues; he has also already had multiple knee surgeries. Ever since he was drafted, I have always felt a sense of dreaded anticipation for his season or career ending knee injury (maybe I am just shell shocked from C-Webb, who knows)

2. Noc had to go (according to him) and he was the highest paid player on the team for many years to come; a second Kenny Thomas of sorts, albeit more useful. If the Kings didn't move him now, another season of sitting the bench / low production would make him almost untradable.

3. Spence and Noc do not fit into the Kings future plans. Spence is soft (he is) and Noc is a veteran on a team of developing prospects.

4. With Dalembert, let's assume the worst: Dalembert is a one year and gone guy; he truly is lockerroom poison, he can be traded by the trade deadline as an ending contract or even asked to stay away from the team. His ending contract could be traded for a draft pick and a role player of some sort or a longer contract on a starter. Worst case scenario, the Kings waive him and his salary comes off the books at the end of the season.

If he is productive and a good citizen in the lockerroom, that would make this deal an A+

A plus a million however you wanna put it.

Days ago we were talking about possibly taking on Hedos contract for Nocioni another terrible contract. But we not only get a expiring back but a center who atleast knows how to grab a rebound, block a shot and wont launch jumpers? GP can do no wrong from here in my eyes.:)

As for Spencer one of them had to go whether it's Spencer or JT and Spencer just wasn't consistent enough in my eyes while JT is showing signs of being at WORST a valuable big man hustle scrapper to have off the bench, every team needs one of those guys.

A

Worst case: If it doesn't plan out, we can dump him after next year and let our new center take over.

Base on the now:
We traded a young offensive center that play mostly at the perimeter for a decent post center vet.

I can't wait for the new season to see our new center and have him play next to a veteran low post center with JT as 3rd option. (Assuming we're drafting a center) You never know. ;)

A

Worst case: If it doesn't plan out, we can dump him after next year and let our new center take over.

Base on the now:
We traded a young offensive center that play mostly at the perimeter for a decent post center vet.

I can't wait for the new season to see our new center and have him play next to a veteran low post center with JT as 3rd option. (Assuming we're drafting a center) You never know. ;)
I wouldnt think of Sammy D as a post threat, hell Id rank JT above him, Dalembert will only really shine on put backs and the occasional alley opp, from what I've seen of him hes got nothing on the offensive side of the ball.

B.

I like it. Dalembert is just the type of big we have needed. Noc was a punk and needed to go. Hawes COULD turn into a great player, but will likely top out as a decent one.

Also, we're probably coming out of this draft with a 5. Either Monroe, Cuz, or Whiteside.
is Monroe really a 5??

I thought he was a PF

I gave it a B.
I had no problem sending Spencer on his way. I know big men take longer to develop, but I had a few red flags with Hawes that time wasn't going to fix. The main one is his history of knee problems. That alone can sink a team if they sign him to a large long term contract. Big men get knee problems and they don't get better for the most part. The other red flag for me was his soft attitude. That isn't really something that gets fixed with time.

Getting rid of Nocioni? That right there means this trade can't be any worse than a C.

Dalembert? He can bring some things I think the team needs obviously. But he may also bring some stuff that will give Kings fans headaches. If you were one of those yelling at JT to stick to rebounding and defending, then Sammy will be more of the same. He's a weak offensive player who thinks he can do more than really can. If Larry Brown couldn't get him to focus on what he does well, I don't know what coach can. So prepare yourself for some hair pulling when he's on the floor. But it's not all bad as he will contribute something that the Kings very much lack. Just don't say we didn't know this guy will frustrate us.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
A solid B. I would have liked to believe we could have gotten more for Hawes and I did hold out some hope he would get it. But we got rid of a contract I thought we were stuck with for a guy that didn't want to be here and also get a look at a defensively oriented big on an ender which means we will have space next year to make some more tweaks if the CBA doesn't shrink the cap too much.

Gave it a B but it's a B+ for my leanings.

And please don't get rid of Beno- he's been our best shooter for a while now. Dude is earning his take home at this point.

I wouldnt think of Sammy D as a post threat, hell Id rank JT above him, Dalembert will only really shine on put backs and the occasional alley opp, from what I've seen of him hes got nothing on the offensive side of the ball.
I'm not putting Sammy D above JT, I was thinking of JT as our PF along with Landry and with a center drafted, he would be 3rd option in the center position.

But you're right, I'm not expecting Sammy D to do much other than out rebound Evans and hopefully can block shot.;)

Really??? Beno was one of the most consistent players we had last year. Definitely the most consistent outside shooter.

I agree with you here - he was a very effective "off the ball" point guard. Shot 49.3%, 38% from 3. Sort of of a poor man's in his prime Mike Bibby. We NEED a point guard similar to this to play next to Tyreke due to the number of open shots Tyreke will create.

I gave it a B.
I had no problem sending Spencer on his way. I know big men take longer to develop, but I had a few red flags with Hawes that time wasn't going to fix. The main one is his history of knee problems. That alone can sink a team if they sign him to a large long term contract. Big men get knee problems and they don't get better for the most part. The other red flag for me was his soft attitude. That isn't really something that gets fixed with time.

Getting rid of Nocioni? That right there means this trade can't be any worse than a C.

Dalembert? He can bring some things I think the team needs obviously. But he may also bring some stuff that will give Kings fans headaches. If you were one of those yelling at JT to stick to rebounding and defending, then Sammy will be more of the same. He's a weak offensive player who thinks he can do more than really can. If Larry Brown couldn't get him to focus on what he does well, I don't know what coach can. So prepare yourself for some hair pulling when he's on the floor. But it's not all bad as he will contribute something that the Kings very much lack. Just don't say we didn't know this guy will frustrate us.
Not disagreeing with the overall premise of your post, but it's unfair to say Larry Brown couldn't get him to do well when he only coached Dalembert during his rookie season. The guy barely got on the floor (only 34 games) which is not uncommon with Larry Brown and his handling of rookies.

I like the trade a lot. We get a very descent and tough player with a very favorable contract for the team (future savings) for a player that never wanted to be in Sacramento and another player with no guarantee that he would be that complete player we always needed in a reasonable amount of time.

A.
Although I would have given it an A- if I had the option. But a flat B is a little too ho hum for this deal. We get rid of Nocioni, who has regressed as a King and is one too many players at the 3. I honestly didn't think anyone would take him with his contract - except in exchange for some loser with a worse contract. Losing Hawes in this deal is the price you pay to get a player who fills several of our needs at Center. I have been critical of and dissappointed in Hawes, but I wouldn't have minded giving him one more year to see if he can get his head on straight. But now we'll see how he copes with the pressure of playing in Philly.

Really??? Beno was one of the most consistent players we had last year. Definitely the most consistent outside shooter.
I definitely agree with you especially because you mentioned his outside shooting of LAST YEAR, which I still consider as plain luck his shots were falling in. Take away those jump shots and Beno will look worse than Martin.

How about his terrible plays and laziness the year before last year which could very well re-appear this coming season?

How about his terrible defense throughout the years he played with the Kings and Spurs?

How about those instances when he bounced the ball on his foot when he was all alone dribbling and unguarded ( which I swear I've seen only the guard Beno do at least twice every year throughout his career )

IMO, Beno has remained a terrible defender and a big liability in that area. He had been very much like Martin and Hawes. One dimensional ( offensive ) player like Martin and an on-and-off inconsistent lazy player like Hawes. This is why I hope Beno will be the next one to be traded in exchange for someone who will show consistency in working hard every season and every game - sort of a Landry and Thompson type of players.

To me, he remains the last remnant of the culture of laziness in defense, softiness, inconsistency in effort given in a given season/game that should totally be gone.

But when was he inconsistent LAST year? Maybe his mindset has changed, maybe not.

But if I had a 'what have you done lately for me' list of players on the kings last year, he would be top 3 probably #2.

I also like Beno's style of offense with the type of team we are building, and his little stop and pop free throw distance jumpers were near automatic. Not to mention his passing skills were good as well.

I still remember multiple times on a fast break he would stop to put up a jumper instead of a contested layup and I would scream NO NO NO ... YES !

But also as you said inconsistency is a possibility especially if laziness creeps into the mix.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I definitely agree with you especially because you mentioned his outside shooting of LAST YEAR, which I still consider as plain luck his shots were falling in. Take away those jump shots and Beno will look worse than Martin.

How about his terrible plays and laziness the year before last year which could very well re-appear this coming season?

How about his terrible defense throughout the years he played with the Kings and Spurs?

How about those instances when he bounced the ball on his foot when he was all alone dribbling and unguarded ( which I swear I've seen only the guard Beno do at least twice every year throughout his career )

IMO, Beno has remained a terrible defender and a big liability in that area. He had been very much like Martin and Hawes. One dimensional ( offensive ) player like Martin and an on-and-off inconsistent lazy player like Hawes. This is why I hope Beno will be the next one to be traded in exchange for someone who will show consistency in working hard every season and every game - sort of a Landry and Thompson type of players.

To me, he remains the last remnant of the culture of laziness in defense, softiness, inconsistency in effort given in a given season/game that should totally be gone.
And to me you remain totally clueless. Beno totally redeemed himself in the past season and to continue to drag up prior seasons is without any real benefit at all. Unless of course you're just doing it because you have some kind of personal dislike for him. If so, at least be honest about it.

Not that I think it needs bringing up, but Beno had a couple of nagging injuries in 2008-2009 that bothered him all season. And, in addition, he was playing without much leadership either in the form of a team captain OR a competent coach.

The Kings that season were abysmal. To write each player's career summary based on past seasons isn't any more appropriate than judging a student in his senior year based on how he performed in his sophomore year. People change; situations change. Beno last season did nothing to deserve the kinds of criticisms you're attempting to level in his direction.

I searched "Philidelphia 76ers forum" and I viewed their comments:

They are very pleased- they are happy dalembert is gone for good, they don't stand him their. 76ers fans writing their that spencer hawes is already better than sammy (Can someone please explain this?) and they got another good player- noc.
They are really coming down on dalembert, saying he is terrible, bad iq, and doesn't know his left or right.

I think this trade is good for us because hawes and noc aren't really my favorites on the team. Dalembert will improve our rebounding and defense.

Please reply to this comment
btw- I choose "2 early 2 tell"

Last edited:
And to me you remain totally clueless. Beno totally redeemed himself in the past season and to continue to drag up prior seasons is without any real benefit at all. Unless of course you're just doing it because you have some kind of personal dislike for him. If so, at least be honest about it.

Not that I think it needs bringing up, but Beno had a couple of nagging injuries in 2008-2009 that bothered him all season. And, in addition, he was playing without much leadership either in the form of a team captain OR a competent coach.

The Kings that season were abysmal. To write each player's career summary based on past seasons isn't any more appropriate than judging a student in his senior year based on how he performed in his sophomore year. People change; situations change. Beno last season did nothing to deserve the kinds of criticisms you're attempting to level in his direction.
Personal dislike?

Honesty?

It is no secret in my post that I personally dislike players who are one-dimensional, not good in defense, soft, and who cannot give consistent effort every season/game. IMO, I think your seemingly favorite player Beno still fits that description and I cannot be more honest in stating that opinion.

Maybe you can rephrase my post for me to make my opinion more honest?

Also, I have been very honest in criticizing Martin and Hawes who by the way also fit that description. And I am glad where they are now. I hope Beno is next to go. Those three I believe are largely responsible why this team sucked.

People change; situations change. I agree with that. This coming season will also be much different than last season. And because of that, there is no reason to believe with certainty we will be seeing the better version of Beno. He's done changing from okay to worst before, he certainly can do it again. He is that kind of an on-and-off player.

Since you portray to know everything and people are clueless when they say something that you don't agree, maybe I should just let you think for me?:p

Last edited:
I really like the trade:

Dalembert instantly makes us better defensively and is someone who can actually play BIG down low. He has his faults (TOs, useless fouls, inconsistency) but he brings better rebounding, shot blocking, and interior defense than Hawes. he's also an expiring! Oh and as for Noch, I'm just glad he's gone. I hope Donte and Omri get better this season (Omri especially).

The only downside to this trade is of course, what if Spence actually becomes a very good center. I remember reading somewhere that if Spence blossoms, we could be like Portland when they traded Jermaine O'Neal for a vet but I think JO didn't really have much playing time during his years in Portland. Hawes has been a started for more than 1 season and his rate of improvement isn't really remarkable.

Final rating on the trade: A for AWESOME.