Gmail

I'm not sure if there has ever been a thread about this before but...

Does anyone here use gmail? (For those of you who don't know, gmail is Google's e-mail service. It is only available to select people who receive invitations.)

I've been looking for a way to join gmail forever and I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to join without an invitation or knew of a place where I can join some kind of a waiting list. Any help would be most sincerely appreciated:). Thanks!
-QF

I got on it just yesterday. 1000 MB's of free, searchable e-mail space! :cool: Invites are the only way to get on for now.

I already passed out my first batch of invites, but they replenish you with more every so often, so I was already figuring I'd offer some up here at some point. If you can sit tight, I'll get you guys on the next round.

You too, KG. :)

They only give you six at a time, and I think I know a few more people who will be interested. I'll have to depend on the people I invite to use their invites to spread the love on KF.com.

NME said:
I got on it just yesterday. 1000 MB's of free, searchable e-mail space!
Invites are the only way to get on for now.

I already passed out my first batch of invites, but they replenish you with more every so often, so I was already figuring I'd offer some up here at some point. If you can sit tight, I'll get you guys on the next round.
Well just don't forget who asked first:p

Very kind of you to offer that, NME. I was thinkin that once someone on KF gets it, we could sort of start a chain so we could all get it, you know what I mean? It should at first be limited to the more long time members (even though that's hard to tell at this point) so we can be assured of the chain continuing. Anyways just a thought!

NME said:
I got on it just yesterday. 1000 MB's of free, searchable e-mail space! :cool: Invites are the only way to get on for now.

What's so special about gmail that you have to be "invited"? Just curious

Rockmeister said:

What's so special about gmail that you have to be "invited"? Just curious
Nothing. The only thing that is particularly "special" it is its size - you get 1GB of space. Additionally, it utilizes a unique organization system to store your messages.

The real reason that you need to be invited is that it is still in Beta testing so they are limiting the rollout. Eventually you may or may not just be able to sign up at your own will.

Another reason for the invitation requirement is that since they must dedicate 1GB of storate to each member, they don't want people creating tons of accounts until they are sure that the idea will be a money maker. That's why they are limiting it.