Glenn Robinson III

C: Whiteside, Holmes
PF: Bagley, Bjelly
SF: Barnes, GR III
SG: Hield, DQJ
PG: Fox, Haliburton

Fox or Bagley needs to be a reliable 3pt shooter if we want our best 5 starting.

Nice! Now what does all these 1 year signings mean?
1. Getting talented players under their market value
2. Not tying up long term $ to future salary caps
3. Getting assests that are tradeable or allow us to trade other players and keep them around without commiting long-term
4. We don't have to throw the rookies to the wolves right away
5. Gives us a quality 10-man rotation (see above)

The Sacramento Kings and free-agent forward Glenn Robinson III have agreed to a deal, a league source told HoopsHype. It’s a one-year, $2.03 million, HoopsHype has learned.

The former 2017 NBA Slam Dunk Contest winner felt he could be a contributor on a talented young Kings team.

The 6-foot-6 forward averaged 11.7 points on 48.6 percent shooting from the field and 39.1 percent shooting from downtown in 62 games played last season with the Golden State Warriors and Philadelphia 76ers.

https://hoopshype.com/2020/11/29/glenn-robinson-iii-agrees-to-deal-with-sacramento-kings/

On the flip side, what is McNair selling them on these one year deals? Would have to assume that the players believe they will get a chance to showcase their skills this year and get a bigger contract somewhere next year. Moreso in the case of Robinson.

I see what types of players McNair likes, but I have not quite figured out his plan aside from this being an evaluation year. The only thing I can guess is there will be trades of players that play the same position as Whiteside, Kaminski, Robinson, and the Kings need to make sure they can field a well rounded team if they don't get back like players in the trades.

Nice! Now what does all these 1 year signings mean?
It means if one of these guys breaks out and signs a big deal next year someone here is going to pretend he was their guy all along and scream bloody murder that we didn't sign them for 4 years at 4m per. I'll leave y'all to speculate who that poster will be, but invariably it will be one of the posters who threatened to leave the Kingdom over Bogi.

On the flip side, what is McNair selling them on these one year deals? Would have to assume that the players believe they will get a chance to showcase their skills this year and get a bigger contract somewhere next year. Moreso in the case of Robinson.

I see what types of players McNair likes, but I have not quite figured out his plan aside from this being an evaluation year. The only thing I can guess is there will be trades of players that play the same position as Whiteside, Kaminski, Robinson, and the Kings need to make sure they can field a well rounded team if they don't get back like players in the trades.
In fairness Tank and him are both kind of players that have just been hanging on most places but yeah, you'd think there was something going on behind the scenes. The good thing is even if he sold them a bill of goods about their role like Vlade probably did to get the players he targeted to sign on the dotted line, these are minimum deals so they are waiver material in a worst case. I'm hoping we see more of the young guys than these later signings though.

At any rate, really nice pick-up on the cheap. Robinson took a real leap last season as a spacer and a versatile defender. He's a guy I would have liked to see on a longer-term deal as I think he could have been a longer-term piece.

Curious what happens with all these 1 year deals though. We all of a sudden have many pieces that could be flipped to contenders on the cheap or plenty of decent fill-in pieces if we're flipping a Barnes or Buddy at the deadline.

The personnel moves that Mr. McNair has made thus far should inspire a great deal of confidence among Kings fans. He is crafting a serviceable team to support his young talent in the short-term, while providing for longer-term cap flexibility. Unlike previous deceptive regimes, Monte certainly isn’t trying to create the illusion that the Kings are in contention for anything other than a lottery pick in 2021.

I had that same concern - then remembered the teams that we have to play against.

Not good yet - but I’m impressed by the way Monte balanced the roster on the cheap.
Drafted Woodard, resigned DQJ, GRIII on the cheap. Interested in Jones Jr. Monte has made it a real priority to invest in versatile wings with spacing potential. Great news for the future that he's identifying the most valuable position to look at in today's NBA.

Curious what happens with all these 1 year deals though. We all of a sudden have many pieces that could be flipped to contenders on the cheap or plenty of decent fill-in pieces if we're flipping a Barnes or Buddy at the deadline.
This is what I see. If these guys show up and play well, we might find ourselves in a position to help fill a couple holes for contenders around the deadline. Hopefully get some young projects or late firsts back. We get younger and trading away rotation players probably gets us a higher draft pick. And if we don't trade them, we're spending the same for about half a year of CoJo as we are on three players for the whole year. Solid deals compared to what we're used to seeing.

Maybe we don't have to overpay to get people to come here?

I’m starting to worry that we’re going to over perform next season.
Lol, don't. These additions are nice but lets not pretend like they fix a lot of our key issues. Unless Fox and Bagley both take mammoth jumps to superstars next season the only team worse then us in the West is the Thunder. The East is always a wild card but the Hawks, Hornets, and Pistons should all be much better. The only teams in that conference guaranteed to be worse than us next year are the Cavs, Wizards, Knicks, and maybe the Bulls.

Lol, don't. These additions are nice but lets not pretend like they fix a lot of our key issues. Unless Fox and Bagley both take mammoth jumps to superstars next season the only team worse then us in the West is the Thunder. The East is always a wild card but the Hawks, Hornets, and Pistons should all be much better. The only teams in that conference guaranteed to be worse than us next year are the Cavs, Wizards, Knicks, and maybe the Bulls.
Agreed. We're signing these guys on the minimum with no hope of playoffs. This is like getting excited about 2nd round draft picks every year.

Yes, I guess it's possible Bagley returns fully healthy and Fox and Bagley blow up while Buddy returns to form and Giles Barnes offers something steady. If all that happened, it wouldn't be the worst thing.

Last edited:
Agreed. We're signing these guys on the minimum with no hope of playoffs. This is like getting excited about 2nd round draft picks every year.

Yes, I guess it's possible Bagley returns fully healthy and Fox and Bagley blow up while Buddy returns to form and Giles offers something steady. If all that happened, it wouldn't be the worst thing.
Giles is gone brother.