Giles Will Start Soon.

Harry can't let frustration take over his game. When he's the only who gets into trouble and beef with all of these centers, I'm starting to think he's the one with the problem..not them. COOL DOWN HARRY

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
A lot of his techs seem to be of the Gary Payton "I'm just gonna keep saying stuff to irritate my opponent because I'm a crazy intense person" variety and I am perfectly fine with that.
When he starts putting up Payton-esque stats, I might reconsider but right now he needs to just STFU and play the game. We don't need crazy intense. We had crazy intense with Ron-Ron...

He's getting into a bad habit that I personally don't want to watch/defend again. He should let his game speak for him and not do stupid stuff right in plain sight of the officials.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
When he starts putting up Payton-esque stats, I might reconsider but right now he needs to just STFU and play the game. We don't need crazy intense. We had crazy intense with Ron-Ron...

He's getting into a bad habit that I personally don't want to watch/defend again. He should let his game speak for him and not do stupid stuff right in plain sight of the officials.
And that was the last time we were remotely good.

It’s good to have an edge. And unless he starts getting thrown out of games or getting suspended, I’m going to appreciate Harry being Harry.

A lot of his techs seem to be of the Gary Payton "I'm just gonna keep saying stuff to irritate my opponent because I'm a crazy intense person" variety and I am perfectly fine with that.
He was not always like that tho.. I think thats worth noting... There's a number of players; Josh Jackson, obviously DeMarcus, or Marcus Smart you could always tell they were destined for near 20 techs per season. Giles never seemed like that kinda guy to me, but I'd say neither did the Morris Twins and their antics are kinda like harry's on court these days.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And that was the last time we were remotely good.

It’s good to have an edge. And unless he starts getting thrown out of games or getting suspended, I’m going to appreciate Harry being Harry.
Having an edge and getting called for STUPID move right in front of the official are two different things. He needs to stop before it gets to the point of him getting thrown out of games/suspended. Do you really want to go down that road again?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Having an edge and getting called for STUPID move right in front of the official are two different things. He needs to stop before it gets to the point of him getting thrown out of games/suspended. Do you really want to go down that road again?
You’re talking to a guy who barely even minded DMC’s nonsense at his worst. Giles is nowhere near his level, so I’m 100% good for now.

I disagree. He is not Ron Ron crazy. Not even close. What he is is exactly the kind of intensity this kings team lacks. I love it

I don't think Harry is at risk of becoming an immature bully. I think he has a Kevin Garnett type of competitive fire, and I welcome it. As long as it doesn't morph into something else, he's giving us a strong backbone that we otherwise don't have. An "I'll stand up to you when you pull that sh-t" attitude.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't think Harry is at risk of becoming an immature bully. I think he has a Kevin Garnett type of competitive fire, and I welcome it. As long as it doesn't morph into something else, he's giving us a strong backbone that we otherwise don't have. An "I'll stand up to you when you pull that sh-t" attitude.
I hear what you and the others are saying, but it doesn't mean I'm changing my mind. What I've seen is Giles do STUPID things right in front of the official. What I want to see him do is smart things that cause the other player to react and get the T without drawing one himself.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I hear what you and the others are saying, but it doesn't mean I'm changing my mind. What I've seen is Giles do STUPID things right in front of the official. What I want to see him do is smart things that cause the other player to react and get the T without drawing one himself.
To be fair, the tech that he had tonight happened because he got caught reacting to Lopez doing one of those wiley vet plays where he tugged on Harry's jersey while they were battling in the post. It was one of those typical young guy gets caught off guard by vet's dirty trick techs that you see with young dudes and less Draymond continually kicking dudes in the grundle.

Gotcha. I’m on board with that.

Giles needs to be working with a big man coach and talk through his outbursts on the court. There is a fine line between playing hard and aggressive basketball, and blatant fouls. The best players play with emotion, sometimes even some rage, but they control it and use it to their advantage. Some players never really learn to control their emotions, and they become their own worst enemies. There are the official basketball rules, and then there are the unofficial rules. There are a lot of nuances in how full grown men bang with each other in the NBA. The Kings are learning to stand up for themselves. Harry just needs to rein it in a little.

Giles needs to be working with a big man coach and talk through his outbursts on the court. There is a fine line between playing hard and aggressive basketball, and blatant fouls. The best players play with emotion, sometimes even some rage, but they control it and use it to their advantage. Some players never really learn to control their emotions, and they become their own worst enemies. There are the official basketball rules, and then there are the unofficial rules. There are a lot of nuances in how full grown men bang with each other in the NBA. The Kings are learning to stand up for themselves. Harry just needs to rein it in a little.
He will tune it right. Harry is Self Aware. Everytime I watch his demeanor Kevin Garnet never fails to come to mind. Harry will figure it out. Dude is one smart cat.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
He was not always like that tho.. I think thats worth noting... There's a number of players; Josh Jackson, obviously DeMarcus, or Marcus Smart you could always tell they were destined for near 20 techs per season. Giles never seemed like that kinda guy to me, but I'd say neither did the Morris Twins and their antics are kinda like harry's on court these days.
I'd imagine part of it has been getting physically abused all season long and him finally taking a stand and saying no more. I'm okay with that. He was playing like a paper tissue soft big earlier in the year, we need that feisty and high energy on this team and he provides plenty of it.

I'm more than ok with Harry's technicals. Don't let Grant's over reactions fool you into thinking that technical fouls are the worst thing in the world. Yes they cost you a point but how many games have the Kings lost due to technicals this year? None that I can remember.

This team is average to soft at every position so we need a guy like Harry who can bring the intensity. With that intensity comes some technical fouls but that same intensity can also bring winning play on the court. What's not acceptable is playing losing basketball and costing your team points on techs at the same time.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm not concerned about Giles' technicals. He's getting over-matched physically and is doing his best to compensate. He's not a head case; just a young competitor trying to navigate in the waters of what is acceptable and what is not in the NBA, and also trying to protect his turf.

The main question I have with him going forward is who does he get matched up with on the defensive side of the ball? If you have him guarding guys that outweigh him by 50 pounds or more, it's going to be a problem. He's playing out of his weight class. It may work on the offensive end, but he's just going to get beat up on the defensive end, especially if his minutes go up a lot next year, which hopefully they will. I really want to see him matched up against 4s, and even some 3s going forward so he's not getting physically pounded on by opposing physical centers. Kayte H. has speculated that Giles isn't getting the minutes because of his propensity for fouling. That is possible, especially because we know Joerger likes to "prevent" guys from being fouled out as much as possible (a pet peeve of mine). It's also possible that Joerger, management and the medical staff don't think it's a good idea for a guy with Harry's injury history to be pounded on for 30+ minutes a game by guys much bigger than him. I sure hope next year this will change.

Giles has come along way from being sent to Stockton just to get some playing time. He was very tentative for the first half of the season for several reasons.
Now he is beginning to explore his capabilities with his knees and gaining actual playing time.

I really like his play when teamed up with Bagley as I have no doubts that Bagley is our starting 4 next year but Giles has just to many up and down games at this point.

A off season to add some muscle and strength will tell whether is really ready or not.
I think a lot of it really depends on what centers are with us next year.

I'm more than ok with Harry's technicals. Don't let Grant's over reactions fool you into thinking that technical fouls are the worst thing in the world. Yes they cost you a point but how many games have the Kings lost due to technicals this year? None that I can remember.

This team is average to soft at every position so we need a guy like Harry who can bring the intensity. With that intensity comes some technical fouls but that same intensity can also bring winning play on the court. What's not acceptable is playing losing basketball and costing your team points on techs at the same time.
But without Grant's over reactions, how would we ever remember that point?