Giles back Tuesday (split from old Giles thread)

Well, they really can't. I mean, for one thing, it's not allowed and there's the whole Joe-Smith-Contract-Loses-T'Wolves-First-Round-Picks precedent to consider. But also, the CBA doesn't allow the Kings to pony up any more for Giles' fourth year than the contract option we declined. If Giles shows that he's healthy and a gamer this year, all some team has to do is offer a mere $5M and he'll bolt unless he *really* wants to stay with us.

That's why turning down the fourth-year option was so shocking, and I can only assume that things were pretty bad behind the scenes for that to happen.
But they can sign a 2 year deal at the end of the contract as long as it doesn't exceed extension price. It has been done. So yes, it's possible.

I'm leaning towards Harry isn't meeting expectations based on all I've heard. But the notion that both camps can't agree to something without violating the rules isn't out of the question.

You seem to have a lot more faith in the FO than I do at this point. I hope you are correct that they have come to some sort of agreement to allow Giles to play and still keep him on the Kings next year.

It may be merely the fact that the FO may feel that once most teams look at Giles health records and knees that most would balk at giving him a high dollar, longer term deal off a half season plus of play.

I guess time will only tell. I have been a big Giles supporter and hope he does well once he comes back. I just hope the Kings will be able to retain his services following this season, because it would be a shame to invest so much time and rehab on a player and see him walk off to greener pastures, when we had him under our control.
I actually lean towards he isn't cutting it and we blew the pick. But that's just all going off rumors.

But I do reject the conjecture that everyone else knows what's up and our front office are the only ones on the planet that don't understand the rules about re-signing Harry at the end of the season.

eta an interesting tidbit:

according to realgm Harry has two agents at Excel Sports Management. One of whom is Jeff Schwartz, who also represents Marvin Bagley and Harrison Barnes. So you never know.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
But they can sign a 2 year deal at the end of the contract as long as it doesn't exceed extension price. It has been done. So yes, it's possible.
You are correct (aside from the word "extension", for which I think you meant "option"). I'm addressing this in the other Giles thread as there is some bad information in a James Ham article.