Garnett: "Thank God for opt-outs"

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Theoretically, is it possible to backload a contract? Some teams have been frontloading contracts recently (Atlanta with JJ, Chicago with Ben, and I think it's an excellent idea). However, is it possible to backload (pay a much larger percentage of salary towards the latter part of the contract).

If possible, a hypothetical situation could be to give him a lower salary over the next two years (he opts out, and we do a S&T with Minny). Then, once our big contracts start coming off the books, we increase his salary substantially. Don't know if the league allows this.

Of course, KG also won't accept it, unless he sees an excellent chance of winning a championship.
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

Check out #11 regarding maximum salary to start...

i think sacto would be appealing to the big ticket, i think kg, artest bibby and kmart could be a force in the west kg can fill that hole in the middle we deperately need, i think this combination can very make a push at a championship

Why would Garnett leave a bad team in Minnesota to come to a bad team in Sacramento? It's a LOT more likely that he'd go somewhere like Chicago, where they're one player away from being a legitimate title contender for the next several years.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The attraction to Sacto, if there were one, would be a) Ron (who KG wanted to come play with him); b) the Maloofs (who can do the we'll do anything to win unlike your former team wine and dine) and c) Geoff (who could be pitched as the anti-McHale). A minor thing with the fans I suppose, but don't think that's much of a motivator for a guy like KG.

And yes, I think that's a longshot, but there is your argument. A player he considers a fellow "dawg", owners who at least talk a good "we want to win" game, and Geoff, who still has a shadow of his "genius" rep from 5 years ago and must look comparatively wonderful set next to McHale.

Chicago should be a clear frontrunner -- KG likes Chicago as a city, big city, lot of talent on the team. But they are missing a second great player with Ben in decline, they have an ******* coach who's never been out of the first round, and they have an owner who has actually been fairly cheap. So its not a knockout.

Then there's the Lakers..and well, except for not wanting to be lost as just the "other" superstar in town on a team with a cluttered history of them, not much of an argument against that one. I don;t think he will be looking to join a team already at the top -- he'll want to be the guy to put them over the top. But when it come to established star, established coach, winning history etc. etc....well, L.A. will be tough if (when) they make their pitch.

Mentioned at some point in another thread that while I think its bordering on unthinkable for the Maloofs to swallow their pride and reverse course, if I was going to add one more log on my pitch to KG, I would seriously consider bringing back Rick as that log. Coached a similar player in Webber, has been to the mountain, one of the winningest coaches, players coach, and the extra pitch to KG that you can play in big games if you come here. Won't happen of course. But its not my fault that I'm a lot better at this than the guys actually running the franchise. ;)

Last edited:
Mentioned at some point in another thread that while I think its bordering on unthinkable for the Maloofs to swallow their pride and reverse course, if I was going to add one more log on my pitch to KG, I would seriously consider bringing back Rick as that log. Coached a similar player in Webber, has been to the mountain, one of the winningest coaches, players coach, and the extra pitch to KG that you can play in big games if you come here. Won't happen of course. But its not my fault that I'm a lot better at this than the guys actually running the franchise. ;)
Damn nice, Damn nice.

Who's to say he would want to come from one rebuilding team to another, by coming here wouldn't he be in the same situation?
yes but we have one person they dont....Geoff Pietrie. all he needs to do is make one genius move or a series of moves which he is very capable of(think back to 1999) and this team is a legitamate contender again. who knows garnett could be that one move

KG would be a great addition and I understand why we need him - he is a real Star. I do not understand why he needs our team. He wanna win, he wanna serious team NOW, I am sure he wanna play in a fun city. He does not wanna wait, he does not wanna spend his last years in a boring city. I think we have everything he does not want. May be 5 years ago he would go to the Kings because we were hot as a franchise. Now, we have a boring team, old arena, small market, no coach and talks about relocation in the future. HE WON'T BE HERE :(.

Don't feel bad. I think my 7 year old is a lot better at this than the guys running the franchise.;)