Free agents.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
NBA Free Agent Rankings

For the summer of 2006:

2006 NBA Free Agent Centers:

1) Ben Wallace, Detroit Pistons -- Big Ben wants to stay with Detroit, and Detroit wants to keep him. InsideHoops.com places the odds on him staying at 99 percent likely.

2) Nene, Denver Nuggets -- Perhaps a power forward, but we'll call him a center. Nene missed the 2005-06 season due to injury, and the Nuggets missed him. But if he seeks a star's payday, Denver will probably let him go get overpaid elsewhere.

3) Joel Przybilla, Portland Trail Blazers -- The Blazers are a mess, and big Joel probably wants out. He's a decent big guy. Not a star, but he wouldn't be the league's worst starting center.

4) Nazr Mohammed, San Antonio Spurs -- Ideally brought off the bench, but decent enough to start for a team that has tons of stars at other positions.

5) Alonzo Mourning, Miami Heat -- Zo is better than everyone above not named Ben Wallace, but he's ranked down here due to his age and health issue, the former of which should catch up with him any season now. He could go anywhere, or stay. It's a tossup.

2006 NBA Free Agent Power Forwards:

1) Al Harrington, Atlanta Hawks -- Puts up extremely nice numbers, but he's not a star to build a team around. Harrington is a tweener, but we'll call him a PF instead of SF. It's very likely he's gone from Atlanta.

2) 2) Chris Wilcox, Seattle Sonics (restricted) -- Went from a bench player with athletic ability as a Clipper to one of the league's brightest young power forwards in Seattle, thanks to a mid-season trade. If he's not too greedy, will get a nice chunk of change from Seattle.

3) Vladimir Radmanovic, Los Angeles Clippers -- Turned down a pretty sizable contract from the Sonics a year ago, wound up getting traded (in the Wilcox deal) to the Clippers, and has done pretty well. He's a small forward in a power forward's body. He probably wants more money than the Clippers would want to pay.

4) Drew Gooden, Cleveland Cavaliers (restricted) -- It's not likely that anyone will throw sizable money at him, so chances are Drew stays another season with the Cavs and becomes unrestricted a year later.

5) Keith Van Horn, Dallas Mavericks -- Doesn't get much publicity in Dallas behind the likes of Dirk Nowitzki, but Keith can still play and can put up big points and acceptable rebounds if given the time.

2006 NBA Free Agent Small Forwards:

1) Peja Stojakovic, Indiana Pacers (Can opt out) -- Stojakovic can opt out of his contract to become a free agent, and recently said he probably will do so. He's making over $8 million this season and InsideHoops.com sources in the GM world don't think he'll get much more than that from anyone. Chances are he winds up staying with the Pacers.

2) Tim Thomas, Phoenix Suns -- Played pretty well in Phoenix and although he'll never reach the potential many thought he had years ago, Tim is a player and can probably get a deal as a poor man's starter or rich man's backup.

3) Rasual Butler, NOK Hornets -- Not as well known as the league's other Butler (Caron), but Rasual plays well on both ends of the floor and can pretty much do everything. Likely to get the kind of deal we described Tim Thomas might (see above).

4) Qyntel Woods, New York Knicks -- Woods has shown himself to be a real player when given minutes with NY this season. He's extremely athletic and has more potential than many realize. No one will offer him starter money, but he should get a legit contract from someone.

5) Devean George, Los Angeles Lakers -- Worth signing as a backup small forward.

2006 NBA Free Agent Shooting Guards:

1) Bonzi Wells, Sacramento Kings -- Although Wells missed time due to injury, his 2005-06 season has been terrific. He's played very good ball. Could stay, but the Kings have Kevin Martin to handle the shooting guard spot if he gets bigger money elsewhere.

2) Flip Murray, Cleveland Cavaliers -- A decent scorer who can handle the starting job but is likely best used as a team's main scorer off the bench.

2006 NBA Free Agent Point Guards:

1) Jason Terry, Dallas Mavericks -- JT wants to stay with the Mavs, and Dallas wants to keep him. As long as Terry doesn't get greedy and stays reasonable, he'll be paid properly like a pretty good starter should.

2) Mike James, Toronto Raptors (can opt out) -- James has been on a mission this season to show he's a real player, and he pretty much succeeded. A scoring point guard, he's over 30 and hoping to finally get one nice, fat contract from any team in the league; though Mike would prefer a winner.

3) Sam Cassell, Los Angeles Clippers -- The old fella still plays great basketball and hasn't slowed down. But we bet people still underestimate his value because of his age. If the Clippers are smart, they'll keep him.

4) Marcus Banks, Minnesota Timberwolves -- The Celtics gave up on him and traded him to the Timberwolves, and although the team doesn't win often, Banks has been a bright spot. He has probably earned a contract as a poor man's starter or rich man's backup. Might stay.

5) Speedy Claxton, NOK Hornets -- Used more as a scorer than a point guard off the Hornets bench, but a decent player who probably doesn't want to be stuck behind Chris Paul forever and therefore might change teams.

Other Notables for 2006 NBA Free Agency:

Francisco Elson (Denver-restricted), Reggie Evans (Denver), DerMarr Johnson (Denver), Bobby Jackson (Memphis), Trevor Ariza (Orlando-restricted), David Wesley (Houston), Michael Olowokandi (Boston), DJ MBenga (Dallas-restricted), John Salmons (Philadelphia-restricted), Latrell Sprewell.

copied from spurstalk.com

There isnt really a defensive big after Wallace and Mourning and Mourning is too old and Wallace isnt leaving detroit. Nene maybe (the torn acl is a cause for concern). It looks like we will have to trade for our defensive big if we are going to get one. Claxton could solve our problems as backup point but im not sure if he wants a backup spot. B-Jax is possible but unlikely. I also like Trevor Ariza as a bench player. He is good off the bench and was used poorly in New York.

Elson would be a good fit for back-up C. Athletic, effective without the ball, has a solid, legit jumper, strong, rebounder, blocker. Played well in most of his 47 starts in Denver, as he didn't know when or how much he'd play outside of that.

We won't be getting Zo or Wallace. Pryzbilla, who knows.

Claxton, would love it, but he's likely to stay with the Hornets.

Banks, I'd love to see us get. Not out of our range w/ the MLE or some of it, and isn't guaranteed to stay with Wolves.

B-Jax, only for a 2-3 year contract. Would go after others in general before him though.

Rasual Butler/Jumaine Jones/DeMarr Johnson/Greg Buckner, all FAs. I think would be fine fits to replace Bonzi's spot in rotation if he goes, as I don't see us having a swingman crop of Artest and 3 young guys. While Martin starts.

Gary

All-Star
I think for the most part we stay out of the FA market this year. We might sign a backup PG but that's about it. BJ, or Claxton?

Out of FAs? Banks or B-Jax. Claxton is wanting the full MLE. I'd like to see us get one of Duhon/Bell/Banks/B-Jax for back-up PG.

Disagree on aside from a back-up PG in FA. Elson would be a good signing and fits what we need in the FC, and isn't horrible on offense.

Reggie Evans should be on the main list. He's groin-grabblingly good, and he should merit more attention than Van Horn and, depending on a team's needs, several others on the PF list.

Mourning has had a good career and has overcome adversity. But all of those players above him are better than him now.

Qyntel Woods had some great showings for the Knicks this year. I think he could finally put together a decent career. You just need to up the security at the local kennels.

Flip Murray is a spectacular scorer, not a "decent" one. They must consult some points-per-game chart for their adjectives. Murray is a Vinnie Johnson type that would be a good fit for a few teams. He disappeared at times for Cleveland, though.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm waiting for Bricklayer's annual list of all free agents, not just the top few. And no offense to the messenger, but I'm really not that impressed with the descriptions of the players.

;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
There are some players I firmly beleive the Maloofs would never allow to wear the jersey of their Sacramento Kings.

Qyntel Woods is one of those players.

I wasn't saying he's a canidate for the Kings, don't know why anyone would with all the swingmen we already have, and Bonzi to concentrate on.

I simply agreed with his comment on his time with the Knicks, and that's true, as he had a good run with them. One of their few bright spots with Lee/Frye/Nate, indeed.

VF21 said:
There are some players I firmly beleive the Maloofs would never allow to wear the jersey of their Sacramento Kings.

Qyntel Woods is one of those players.
I don't get it, why, does he have a bad rep. or something?

Before this season, a few things he's done that are bad. In a related note, when the Heat picked him up in Feb/March last year, SVG said something like "Everyone does some dumb things when you're young". Believe in the summer he was caught blazing weed in his car when he was pulled over, that was the last thing though, I think.

Speaking of Przybilla, I got this from

http://www.betus.com/sports-betting/Jail_Blazers_look_to_future-2441.asp

Przybilla may not stick around long enough to be part of the latest Portland rebuild. The impending free agent is looking for a significant upgrade to his $1.6-million annual salary after posting 6.1 points, seven rebounds and an impressive 2.3 blocks per game last season, all in just 24.9 minutes a night. That made the big center one of only three Blazer regulars (Randolph and Patterson were the others) to produce a positive Roland Rating in 2005-06. But Przybilla has also expressed his desire to get out of Portland – a statement that coach Nate McMillan may have coaxed out of Przybilla as part of his own attempts to put pressure on Allen to make changes.

i know someone else on this board is from portland as well, and they may have a different opinion...but i think pryzbilla is underrated. we should make a run at him.

he's blocktastic.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What possible difference does that make? Sometimes good players are stuck on non-playoff teams. SAR immediately comes to mind.

I wouldn't be using that as one of the criteria to assess his worth.

The Bucks, 5 games, started in three of them. Didn't get much time in any of the games while there though. Regardless, that doesn't mean he wouldn't play well. Look at the Bulls/Wizards/Cavs/Clippers players, and Kevin/SAR (Reef had 2 or 3 productive games).