Free Agency Open Thread (NBA and Kings!)

The Porter thing seems like a bit of a strange chess match to me. The Wiz and Porter were not able to come to an agreement, so he's out fielding offers. Now let's assume that Porter will get a max offer (from the Kings if not from anybody else) and that the Wizards believe that he will get a max offer. If both of these are the case, then the Wiz would just put down an offer identical to what the Kings can offer and tell Porter to go ahead and sign it, to save him the trouble of going out, finding that max offer, and then matching.

But that didn't happen. Clearly the Wiz did not put a max offer out in front of Porter. They only do this because either 1) they don't think he'll get a max or 2) they don't want to match a max. They almost certainly have to think he'll get a max, so I think they don't really want to match. And maybe that's why they're loudly saying they will match - trying to keep teams from putting out that max? If he's going to get it, and they're going to match...just offer it and save the trouble. If we play hardball here, we might win.
The flip side to that thinking is David Falk, Otto's agent, or any agent for that matter, will inform any other potential team they meet with, how much the Wiz offered. Whatever the Wiz inform the media is irrelevant, as it's mere posturing once you figure out the initial offer.

Now, if the Wiz are simply trying to save money here, but intend to match a max, Porter's team can try structuring a max offer sheet to discourage them from doing so.

Or, if he has no desire to play for them and makes it known through a back channel, a sign and trade is the other possibility.

We are probably only going to give him a day or so on this, as there are still lots of plays out here and you can't have him using it for leverage

Interesting that we bowed out of the Galinari race according to Amick this morning as well. Still the best SF when healthy (which is a major issue). We seem intent on saving that space 2 years out.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The question is did he sign the offer sheet
If he is still taking meetings, then probably not. We have done our part. Now we just have to wait and see how it plays out. Does Porter sign our offer sheet? If he does, does Washington match? Long way to go here, but I think the first step was right.

Sources saying he intends to sign if Wiz don't match it. Interesting that the national Twitterverse is clowning the Kings over it - because I think getting Otto for the max is the wet dream of most Kings fans right now. Different perspectives I guess.
Idk
ibaka at 21per <porter 25 per
Has anyone seen ibaka lately? I was quite frankly shocked w his play after the trade

Sources saying he intends to sign if Wiz don't match it. Interesting that the national Twitterverse is clowning the Kings over it - because I think getting Otto for the max is the wet dream of most Kings fans right now. Different perspectives I guess.
Are they saying he's not worth it or that we shouldn't be signing a max player at this time? Two different takes although I don't agree with either.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The Kings could somehow convince KD to abandon the Warriors for Sacramento I'm sure people would clown it because "LOL KANGZ!"

Idk
ibaka at 21per <porter 25 per
Has anyone seen ibaka lately? I was quite frankly shocked w his play after the trade
Ibaka is not the player he once was, injuries, fell in love with the perimeter shot, etc. There is also legitimate question if he is even 28 years old. He's never produced a birth certificate. He looks closer to 32-33 years.