Free Agency Open Thread (NBA and Kings!)

WTF? Are we gonna sign ANYBODY? Don't we have a salary floor to meet? Honestly, if we got Porter and somebody like Lawson, I'd be ecstatic.
You know who would be better than "somebody like Lawson"......Lawson! I certainly however am not going to be disappointed we missed out on Tucker for 4/32 to HOU. Pffft.... Rockets can have him. This puts us as frontrunners for Jon Simmons....and possibly going after Otto....something needs to break in the next 24-48 hours....if not then I will join you in WTF state of mind.

There's splitting hairs and there's making somewhat absurd statements. Alright then, Ben McLemore is the best to ever play SG.
I don't know what you're talking about. If GSW saw fit to give Iggy 45M over 3 years when they have KD and we have no one to man the SF position, I don't know how exiled Ben factors into your analysis. KD is a transcendent player, possibly the greatest scorer of all-time. We have rookie Jackson, unproven Malachi, rookie Bogdan and Temple to slide to the SF. That's it! Iggy would have held down that position like a boss. And anchored starting unit. But that ship has sailed. Draw whatever conclusion you like. I think we missed out.

No, you want to be patient. Money around the league is slowly drying up. Agents of guys like Lawson, Patterson etc will realize that there are only backup roles and backup money left for their clients. That might make Sacramento more attractive. We were never going to get A-level free agents anyways. Dont overspend on the second tier. Target the third tier and get them on value contracts.

We did the exact right thing. Put our names out there. Target vets that can start or come of the bench. Don't overspend on guys like Teague or Ingles (though I like Ingles)

Oh, and regarding Porter: We didnt offer him a contract yet because this would freeze 25 mil until two days after the Moratorium. That's the time Washington has to decide whether they want to match our offer.
This would mean we would only have about 10 mil to spend. You do this after you got your targets that are UFA.

Last edited:
Wouldn't hurt to try for Porter. He plays with two ball dominant guards and he's improved every year. He's probably a 20+ per game scorer on the Kings. Possibly accustomed enough to deferring that he won't be a ball hog but you never really know until a guy gets the green light to be a top offensive option.

Not worried about Kings not agreeing to terms with anyone. They are holding their nerve and were never going to get the top free agents. They did the same thing last year.

They haven't done anything stupid (yet) and I don't expect them to. Out of Millsap sweepstakes. There was interest in Iggy but reports suggest that it was a 2 year offer. They were interested in Tucker but not at the stupid terms that zhouston got him.

All the other rumored interests make sense but at a right price. Obviously for Porter you go all out on the max but for others its a case of letting other teams spend their cash and then chose who fits your strategy the best.

Lawson, Simmons, Peterson, Gibson, Randolph are all veterans still on board and still making a whole heap of sense for the Kings.

SF options
Porter
Simmons
Gallinari
Bogdanovich
Tony Allen
Salary dump guys
Not really sure about Allen at SF but you are right, there are still options out there.

There are a couple intriguing options out there for us in the salary dump type deals. Reportedly, Raptors are looking to move Carroll. Could be a very solid option at SF for a couple of seasons.

There might still be Mo Harkless option and even Porter. I think with Porter, no one is tabling the offers yet because they don't want to have that money tied up for long. I suspect Kings will make an offer but I think they will wait until there are not many teams left with money and that way ensure that they don't miss out on other potential targets if Washington does match.

I like the patience, but we need to start making moves tomorrow. Lawson, Tyreke, someone before it's too late.
Before it's too late for what exactly? Personally I don't care much about this free agency, we already have our young core to develop. If we would just sign average veterans, I'd be perfectly fine with that. To me these are the priorities:

- don't sign vets to long term deals who will take minutes away from our kids.
- develop the youngsters and lose a lot next year.
- keep all the flexibility we have. Let's not do anything stupid like signing Millsap or Gallinari to a 4 yrs max deal.

There is only one player I'm ok to throw a max deal at. Otto Porter. He is still young to grow with our core, so that's a move I'm down with.

Then, I don't care who we sing. I'd be ok with veterans of Tolliver's level honestly.

The amount these players are getting paid nowadays is ridiculous and the way I see it it's only going to encourage more superteams with stars taking less to play together. I won't pretend as if it's easy to give up 20 million dollars or whatever no matter how much you have, but I dare say it's easier when you've already made 80 million rather than 40 over your career.

Surprised the Kings haven't been linked to Teodosic. Would be a good player to sign for 2 years and the Kings could probably pay him the most out of the other teams to reach the cap floor. I guess Vlade thinks he would stunt the younger PG's growth.

Bojan is also a free agent. Would get plenty of time here and wouldn't hurt us too much in development of others and winning a lot.

Chris Haynes: Restricted free-agent sharpshooter Bojan Bogdanovic receiving serious interest from Sacramento, Denver, Atlanta, league sources tell ESPN.

11 hours ago – via Twitter ChrisBHaynes

Last edited:
Surprised the Kings haven't been linked to Teodosic. Would be a good player to sign for 2 years and the Kings could probably pay him the most out of the other teams to reach the cap floor. I guess Vlade thinks he would stunt the younger PG's growth.

Bojan is also a free agent, with Bogdan here I'm sure that makes Sacramento more enticing. Would get plenty of time here, play on same team as brother, and wouldn't hurt us too much in development of others and winning a lot.

Chris Haynes: Restricted free-agent sharpshooter Bojan Bogdanovic receiving serious interest from Sacramento, Denver, Atlanta, league sources tell ESPN.

11 hours ago – via Twitter ChrisBHaynes
Bogdan and Bojan are not brothers. They are not even related. Bogdan is Serbian and Bojan is Croatian.

Not really sure about Allen at SF but you are right, there are still options out there.

There are a couple intriguing options out there for us in the salary dump type deals. Reportedly, Raptors are looking to move Carroll. Could be a very solid option at SF for a couple of seasons.

There might still be Mo Harkless option and even Porter. I think with Porter, no one is tabling the offers yet because they don't want to have that money tied up for long. I suspect Kings will make an offer but I think they will wait until there are not many teams left with money and that way ensure that they don't miss out on other potential targets if Washington does match.
Would prefer Harkless obviously, but I doubt Portland gives him away for free.
I really like the idea of taking Carroll for a future first rounder. His deal is only 2 years, which is perfect for where we are going. He helps in the first year to bring on the kids and he isnt good enough to make up for too many wins. Then, next year, if you're trying to win you already have a vet that helps or if you need space, you stretch the remaining 15 mil over three years. I'm glad we didnt give Tucker a 4 year deal. As always, years over dollars.

Bring back Lawson at 2 years with the 2nd unguarnteed and one other PF like Gibson on a low-years-high-dollars-deal and youve got yourself a team that has a healthy amount of vets but still enough playing time for all the rooks. The young guys dont get murdered by the starters of these super western conference teams but still have all chances to earn their minutes. I also like Gibson because if Skal continues his rise you could then look to trade Koufos, put Gibson as the backup big and start Skal.

Lawson Fox Mason
Hield Bogdanovic Richardson
Carroll Temple Jackson
Gibson Skal Giles
Wcs Koufos PapaG

Jackson, Giles, PapaG go to the dleague. Starting 5 has a good mix of vets and the most ready young guys in Willie and Buddy. Second unit is also balanced as Fox can get support by Bogdan and Temple if he struggles to run the offense initially.

Jackson, Giles, PapaG go to the dleague. Starting 5 has a good mix of vets and the most ready young guys in Willie and Buddy. Second unit is also balanced as Fox can get support by Bogdan and Temple if he struggles to run the offense initially.
Yeesh! Easy there.

Papa was looking very very good in the last 15 games and really coming in to his own. Confidence in his jumper, surprisingly savvy post moves, good rebounding fundamentals. He's already a solid backup NBA center. No reason whatsoever for him to spend any time in the G league. The other guys, possibly, for short stints, to work on specific skills. I don't want any of them getting an apartment in Reno. I want all our picks with the main squad developing chemistry.

Yeesh! Easy there.

Papa was looking very very good in the last 15 games and really coming in to his own. Confidence in his jumper, surprisingly savvy post moves, good rebounding fundamentals. He's already a solid backup NBA center. No reason whatsoever for him to spend any time in the G league. The other guys, possibly, for short stints, to work on specific skills. I don't want any of them getting an apartment in Reno. I want all our picks with the main squad developing chemistry.
I would be shocked if Papagiannis does not spend some time in the G league.

Why are you opposed to Iggy??? The guy is a stud even at 33. He knows how to play the game. He would have been a terrific addition. I will bet the Kings were offering 3 years 60 million guaranteed. I don't know but I think that is a fair assumption.

If the Warriors are giving him 45M for 3 years when they have arguably the BEST small forward EVER to play the position in Kevin Durant, how could you not advocate for adding him to our team?!?! We just gave 27M (or more) for 3 years to Bogdan who has never set foot on NBA court. That's far more risky proposition than trying to land instrumental player on two-time NBA championship team.
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. It's business but do you go back to a dealership that's done you dirty? Not everything about business is above board.