Former Sacramento councilman files PRA with Anaheim

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Wow. Waters is not following around. You're right. The list of areas he's looking into certainly makes it seem as though he's reasonably sure he's going to find something.

I'm curious, however. Is my memory failing me or hasn't Robbie Waters most recently been quoted as being against the arena proposal?

K

Kingsguy881

Well there goes the threat of the Maloofs anti trust lawsuit if anything is found out about it. They HAD to know this was coming.

Think one of the user comments on the Sacbee article puts it best:

"The shredders are on high gear in Anaheim this evening."

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Wow. Waters is not following around. You're right. The list of areas he's looking into certainly makes it seem as though he's reasonably sure he's going to find something.

I'm curious, however. Is my memory failing me or hasn't Robbie Waters most recently been quoted as being against the arena proposal?
Good for Waters!

I found this from a year ago, which indicates Waters wants to help keep the team here:

There has been little public discussion of the impact an Anaheim signature collection drive has had in blocking a Kings move for at least a year – forcing the NBA and the Maloofs to keep the team here.

Arno Political Consultants, working on behalf of the Committee to Save the Kings and organizers Rob Stutzman, a Sacramento political consultant, and Robbie Waters, a former city councilman, said Monday they've gathered 11,000 - 12,000 signatures.

While the signatures must still be certified, there are more than enough to block Anaheim from issuing $75 million in bonds to help the Kings move unless that's approved by voters in June 2012 or in a special election.
http://www.sacramentopress.com/headline/49804/Sacramento_awaits_word_on_Kings

The request is designed to produce at the very least legit documentation of the upgrade of the Honda Center and the negotiations from April of last year. It would be incriminating if nothing was produced because there was a lot of communication in April of 2011.

It looks very professionally worded. I suspect Waters is fronting this request for someone else who is about to unleash some political whoop *** on a certain city. If you know the history of former city council members serving at the same time, then you probably already know who I am talking about.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The request is designed to produce at the very least legit documentation of the upgrade of the Honda Center and the negotiations from April of last year. It would be incriminating if nothing was produced because there was a lot of communication in April of 2011.

It looks very professionally worded. I suspect Waters is fronting this request for someone else who is about to unleash some political whoop *** on a certain city. If you know the history of former city council members serving at the same time, then you probably already know who I am talking about.
Perhaps someone who is now just a little bit higher on the political ladder? ;)

This has Lehane's fingerprints all over it. And so did Shirey's article too.

The timing of these events is perfectly spaced so that it generates maximum media coverage, isn't too clustered, and comes in a logical sequence.

This is a highly skilled and coordinated effort dead set to DEMOLISH the opposition.

Just totally feels like there are stings being pulled and levers being pressed at exactly the right time. Could not be a more stark contrast to the Maloofs. At the least this would seem to be at least able to turn up something small. At the most, we've got a full on front page of ESPN scandal the gets the Maloofs tossed from the league.

Respectfully disagree on Lehane being behind this. This is Darrell Steinberg all way. Calls in an old friend in Waters to put his name on the PRA to isolate himself from being identified as the direct threat. If he can unearth all the communications between the parties and analyze them for a key item that can be affected by legislation, their deal can be killed before the Maloofs can hire a moving van. Lehane is all about public opinion and doing damage there. Steinberg has the means as Senate President Pro Tem to use his power to do real damage to Anaheim's ability to support the deal.

The point is that the Maloofs made some enemies of very powerful people.

And your point is?
Depending on the violation it could cost Anaheim a fortune. The amount would be determine by how the other party, ie city of sacramento, is damaged. They could be made to restore the damage. An extreme example could be if they schredded material that could help keep the Kings in Sacramento and they ended up moving to Anaheim. Anaheim could be held accountable to repay Sacramento the economic loss of the Kings.

Respectfully disagree on Lehane being behind this. This is Darrell Steinberg all way. Calls in an old friend in Waters to put his name on the PRA to isolate himself from being identified as the direct threat. If he can unearth all the communications between the parties and analyze them for a key item that can be affected by legislation, their deal can be killed before the Maloofs can hire a moving van. Lehane is all about public opinion and doing damage there. Steinberg has the means as Senate President Pro Tem to use his power to do real damage to Anaheim's ability to support the deal.

Waters had always been with the developers. More likely that Inland could be behind it.

Good point. I'm sure Lehane and Stienberg are working together. I say Lehane mostly cause he put his name up top of the whole thing (ThinkBIG). He's got a lot riding on this thing being successful, so I'm sure he's coordinating or helping to coordinate the overall efforts. I don't think it's Steinberg acting alone. They've got to time all these moves right, because there is media impact in all of it. But the legal side, yeah, maybe that's ultimately what this was about. Lehane does have a JD from Harvard though, just sayin.

Waters had always been with the developers. More likely that Inland could be behind it.
Whoever's idea or motivation it really was, this whole thing is too coordinated for everybody not to be acting in concert. So many people have so much the same common interest to get this done. It's all about the ThinkBig Coalition. Lotta names on that website.

Whoever's idea or motivation it really was, this whole thing is too coordinated for everybody not to be acting in concert. So many people have so much the same common interest to get this done. It's all about the ThinkBig Coalition. Lotta names on that website.
I've said from the start Inland has the most to lose and gain in this whole thing. I don't know why they haven't been a bigger player.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
That would probably eb grounds for the NBA stripping Maloofs of ownership.
The records request was made to the City of Anaheim, not the Maloofs (it couldn't be made to private individuals). If Anaheim were to break the law and scrub records, that really wouldn't reflect on the Maloofs one way or the other - they didn't do it.

**** just got real! I tend to agree with Hammer, this has Lehane's fingerprints all over it. If you look at it its a perfectly timed request. Raise something today, wait a couple of days, raise something again. This is no doubt an organised group attempt to keep the Kings in Sacramento.

In other words, not letting this effort to oust the Maloofs slow down. I like this move VERY much! Hopefully it leads to new ownership and a new arena for the Kings in SACRAMENTO.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I suspect the main goal is to get Anaheim out of the picture so the Maloofs realize the only game left is with Sacramento. Hence the fast-paced barrages. And I agree - this is vintage Lehane.