Following Potential *2024* Draftees

Unless the Kings at some point have a Spurs-like run of success, they'll always need to take risks to potentially become a contender. They are a small market team in a state with a high tax rate. We're in the opposite position of Miami, which is a significantly bigger market, a more desirous place for young millionaire athletes to live, and in a state with lower taxes.

Which is why you have to risk things like trading a budding star like Haliburton for Sabonis. Or (to go back to when the Kings were last actually contenders) trading Mitch Richmond for a player with off the court issues and injury history in Chris Webber.

I'm still not sure you take a kid like Chomche in the lottery, even in this weaker than normal draft, but even if you do, you have to be ready for him to be a non-factor in year one. Colby Jones played 3 years in the Big East, looked really good in Summer League and the G League and he barely got any court time this season. Maxence-Prosper (who you were very high on) entered the NBA as a 21 year old and only appeared in 40 games for the Mavs, averaging just over 8 mpg and providing very little impact.

Ulrich Chomche won't even turn 19 before next season starts and he's been playing against NBA Academy Africa competition so far. Even Shaedon Sharpe (whose last actual games were against HC competition) at least practiced against NCAA guys. I'll be curious to see how Chomche does in Combine scrimmages assuming that (a) he stays in the draft until at least that point and (b) he chooses to participate. Even that will likely be a big step up in competition for him. I think he has a ton of potential. But he's very unlikely to help the Kings at all next season.
by the way you left out taking Peja at 14 as one of those draft risks. If I recall the crowd booed. If we want to be in the play-offs we need to take and hit on a swing like that. Keeping all options open middle manager Monte is going to leave us stuck in the late lottery forever.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
by the way you left out taking Peja at 14 as one of those draft risks. If I recall the crowd booed. If we want to be in the play-offs we need to take and hit on a swing like that. Keeping all options open middle manager Monte is going to leave us stuck in the late lottery forever.
Yes and no. That was a different age for the NBA draft. Fans generally knew NCAA players if they knew any of the prospects There was little info on Peja, or on Kobe Bryant for that matter, that was out there for casual fans to read. On the other hand John Wallace was coming off an NCAA championship with Syracuse. I was in high school at the time and I definitely knew who Wallace was. I didn't know if he was the right pick, but I had barely any info about Stojakovic.

Contrast that with today where there are countless NBA draft sites and mock drafts, YouTube clips etc. This year there will likely be three international players in the top 5 (Sarr, Topic, and Risacher) and fans can learn WAY more about them then we could about international players back in 1996.

Which is a long way of saying - I don't think Peja was a risk so much as an indication that the Petrie led front office was ahead of the curve in scouting international players at the time. Jason Williams though? That WAS a risk.

Gianni’s’ draft profile from I believe draft express is available on YouTube, go check it out. The talent he displayed then was out of this world. Even if he didn’t turn into the Hulk he would have been incredible in this league. I’m hoping Chomche plays in the combine games so we can get a better look at him

I LOVE Devin Carter. The Kings really need a big wing/forward much more than another guard, but his talent is hard to ignore.

He wouldn't come anywhere near replacing Monk as a scorer & playmaker off the bench, but he defends and rebounds bigger than his size and provides a bit of everything on offense. He'll need to prove that his shooting this season is real, but if he does, somebody is getting a good player IMO.
If he does someone might be getting a poor mans James Harden. I'd take that every day.

ok, so I watched zero college ball and have no clue about any of these guys. Just looking at mock drafts at wings what is the opinions on these guys?

Tidjane Salaun SF FRANCE • 6'9" / 212 LBS

Jaylon Tyson SF CALIFORNIA • JR • 6'7" / 215 LBS

Ryan Dunn SF VIRGINIA • SOPH • 6'8" / 216 LBS

Tristan da Silva PF COLORADO • SR • 6'9" / 220 LBS

ok, so I watched zero college ball and have no clue about any of these guys. Just looking at mock drafts at wings what is the opinions on these guys?

Ryan Dunn is a defensive animal somewhat like Herb Jones but whereas Herb shot .713 on FT% and Kessler shoots .876 on free FT%, Ryan Dunn shoots .532 on free throws.

so couple thoughts here.
free throws % is the best predictor of 3%
  • Kesslers 40% on C&S 3’s may not be an anomaly
  • Ryan Dunn may not be able to shoot at all

Unless the Kings at some point have a Spurs-like run of success, they'll always need to take risks to potentially become a contender. They are a small market team in a state with a high tax rate. We're in the opposite position of Miami, which is a significantly bigger market, a more desirous place for young millionaire athletes to live, and in a state with lower taxes.

Which is why you have to risk things like trading a budding star like Haliburton for Sabonis. Or (to go back to when the Kings were last actually contenders) trading Mitch Richmond for a player with off the court issues and injury history in Chris Webber.

I'm still not sure you take a kid like Chomche in the lottery, even in this weaker than normal draft, but even if you do, you have to be ready for him to be a non-factor in year one. Colby Jones played 3 years in the Big East, looked really good in Summer League and the G League and he barely got any court time this season. Maxence-Prosper (who you were very high on) entered the NBA as a 21 year old and only appeared in 40 games for the Mavs, averaging just over 8 mpg and providing very little impact.

Ulrich Chomche won't even turn 19 before next season starts and he's been playing against NBA Academy Africa competition so far. Even Shaedon Sharpe (whose last actual games were against HC competition) at least practiced against NCAA guys. I'll be curious to see how Chomche does in Combine scrimmages assuming that (a) he stays in the draft until at least that point and (b) he chooses to participate. Even that will likely be a big step up in competition for him. I think he has a ton of potential. But he's very unlikely to help the Kings at all next season.
to be fair, Jones had what, Fox, Mitchell, Huerter, Monk, Ellis, and even Murray ahead of him for a playing time at a guard position. Chomche could probably play PF for us and he would have Barnes, Lyles, Vezenkov, and maybe Murray ahead of him for a shot at PF. It’s our weakest position that prevents us from being a top defensive team.

if he can defend and knock down the open three he would already be pretty valuable for us. I would be ok with the pick if it were him. Sometimes you gotta swing for the fences.

to be fair, Jones had what, Fox, Mitchell, Huerter, Monk, Ellis, and even Murray ahead of him for a playing time at a guard position. Chomche could probably play PF for us and he would have Barnes, Lyles, Vezenkov, and maybe Murray ahead of him for a shot at PF. It’s our weakest position that prevents us from being a top defensive team.

if he can defend and knock down the open three he would already be pretty valuable for us. I would be ok with the pick if it were him. Sometimes you gotta swing for the fences.
5 guys for about 96 minutes makes it pretty hard to get time. If I’m a 6’3 guard and Monte drafts me I refuse to sign until he trades me.

TDS is the most nba ready and would help us next year. There a video in this thread that details his skill set. Shoot, defend, pass and a bit of self creation. Good size but won’t help us against Zion.

Ryan is considered the best defensive player in this draft. True game changer on that end. Much better than Kessler. He can’t shoot or do much else other than cut on offense. I wanted him earlier but now that we have Keon at the 2 I think we need a more all around player at the 4.

Jaylon is rising up mocks lately. One of the draft pods I listen to mocked him to the kings in their latest episode. He said the kings need another person that can get their own bucket and shoot. I assume Monte has him as one of the finalists for the pick if we keep it.

the French kid has upside but I don’t see him as a Monte player.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

Every one of Barnes, Lyles, and Vezenkov will be significantly better players than Chomche next season.

This kid is one day old enough to qualify for this draft class and has been playing against the equivalent of US HS competition.

In time he could possibly be a good defender who can knock down a three. Right now his shot is mostly theoretical and next season (if he stays in the draft instead of going to college) he's most likely to spend the bulk of the season in the G League as an 18 year old adjusting to the size and speed of the NBA.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
One other name to keep an eye on for that athletic, shotblocking PF who can also space the floor is Trevon Brazile.

He's coming off an ACL injury and is an older player for a sophomore. He' more of a big that can space the floor than an oversized wing, but he's a pretty switchable defender with long arms and lots of bounce who has continued to get better as a shooter, both from outside and from the free throw line.

Right now he's generally mocked from the late 2nd to undrafed, but I think he'll move up in the pre-draft process. He's also apparently hired an agent so he's staying in this year's draft. If he makes it to #45 he'd be a great guy to take a swing on IMO.

Every one of Barnes, Lyles, and Vezenkov will be significantly better players than Chomche next season.

This kid is one day old enough to qualify for this draft class and has been playing against the equivalent of US HS competition.

In time he could possibly be a good defender who can knock down a three. Right now his shot is mostly theoretical and next season (if he stays in the draft instead of going to college) he's most likely to spend the bulk of the season in the G League as an 18 year old adjusting to the size and speed of the NBA.
Chonche shoots .750 from the free throw line which has shown to have the highest correlation with future 3 point success. So not fully theoretical.

watching the kid at 2024 Nike Hoop Summit and like some of what I’m seeing. He has a good sense of spacing and vision, good touch but limited skills, needs to be stronger as a 5. He is a project but would want to see his lateral quickness on the perimeter. His quickness drills will be key.

the tweener in the NBA is between the 4 and 5. Some chance he could fall into it as not physical enough for 5 and not quick enough for 4. Timing in rebounds isn’t great.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
watching the kid at 2024 Nike Hoop Summit and like some of what I’m seeing. He has a good sense of spacing and vision, good touch but limited skills, needs to be stronger as a 5. He is a project but would want to see his lateral quickness on the perimeter. His quickness drills will be key.

the tweener in the NBA is between the 4 and 5. Some chance he could fall into it as not physical enough for 5 and not quick enough for 4. Timing in rebounds isn’t great.
As much as I like him as a potential prospect for the Kings, I think Chomche would be best off going to college for at least a year.

apparently you are not aware of Dunn’s free throw percentage.
Herb Jones 17/18 - Ryan Dunn 22/23

FG%: 40.8 - 53.2
3P%: 26.9 - 31.3
FT%: 50.0 - 50.0

Herb Jones 18/19 - Ryan Dunn 23/24

FG%: 42.2 - 54.8
3P%: 28.6 - 20.0
FT%: 49.5 - 53.2

Herb Jones 19/20

FG%: 48.4
3P%: 07.1
FT%: 62.5

Herb Jones 20/21

FG%: 44.6
3P%: 35.1
FT%: 71.3

Herb Jones (New Orleans):

3P%: 37.3
FT%: 82.4

He has to improve his shot. That should be his main focus. Herb did it once he became a pro. But Dunn defense looks even better and translatable to the next level. Also his shot form doesn't look so bad, I think his shot can be fixed with reps at the pro level but his defensive instincts can't be teached. Other players like Herb or OG (47 and 56 FT% in 2 college seasons) also had problems with their shot and they improve it after they were drafted. If he had good % already with his defense he wouldn't be available at #13.

Last edited:

Herb Jones 19/20

Herb Jones 20/21

He has to improve his shot. That should be his main focus. Herb did it once he became a pro. But Dunn defense looks even better and translatable to the next level. Also his shot form doesn't look so bad, I think his shot can be fixed with reps at the pro level but his defensive instincts can't be teached. Other players like Herb or OG (47 and 56 FT% in 2 college seasons) also had problems with their shot and they improve it after they were drafted. If he had good % already with his defense he wouldn't be available at #13.
interesting data thanks for posting. Jones improved quite a bit. Can Dunn? So far not visible.

Herb Jones 19/20

Herb Jones 20/21

I’m a huge fan of Dunn, I don’t think Monte will take a project with #13 though. I do wonder if he falls to the second round if Monte could trade #45 and next year’s Blazers pick which will be valuable for him. I would do that for sure. He could be a game changer

I’m surprised nobody has mention Matas Buzelis. G league Ignite had a terrible season and his stock drop a lot so he maybe in range at our pick. He seems a Monte type of pick. Young but very skilled overall and has good size

The more I scout this draft, the more convinced I am that we need to just let the Hawks convey the pick. I don't really like the options for the Kings at #13.

I'm not sure who we try to target with #13? Are we looking for someone who can contribute now? Are we looking for someone who could eventually crack the starting lineup this year? Are we looking for a career 6th man? Are we looking for length and athelticism for our bench? Are we looking to swing for upside? Are we looking to stash someone in Stockton for 2-3 years? Are we drafting for need? Are we drafting for roster fit?

It's a very weak draft. We would probably be fortunate to come away with a rotational player. Seems like a lot of gamble for not a lot of pay off.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I’m surprised nobody has mention Matas Buzelis. G league Ignite had a terrible season and his stock drop a lot so he maybe in range at our pick. He seems a Monte type of pick. Young but very skilled overall and has good size
I don’t think there’s a chance in hell Matas lasts to pick 13 but Tyrese fell to twelve so who the hell knows

The more I scout this draft, the more convinced I am that we need to just let the Hawks convey the pick. I don't really like the options for the Kings at #13.

I'm not sure who we try to target with #13? Are we looking for someone who can contribute now? Are we looking for someone who could eventually crack the starting lineup this year? Are we looking for a career 6th man? Are we looking for length and athelticism for our bench? Are we looking to swing for upside? Are we looking to stash someone in Stockton for 2-3 years? Are we drafting for need? Are we drafting for roster fit?

It's a very weak draft. We would probably be fortunate to come away with a rotational player. Seems like a lot of gamble for not a lot of pay off.
a lot of the podcasts I’ve listened to regarding draft stuff consider this a weak draft for future all start types but filled will plenty of options for impact role players. I’m ok with letting Atlanta take the pick this year but I would assume if that happens we have a big trade lined up.

It’s weak at the top but 10-20 is supposed to be a bit above average.

That's assuming they'd want it though. I'm still hoping Monte works that pick into a deal around Hunter.

a lot of the podcasts I’ve listened to regarding draft stuff consider this a weak draft for future all start types but filled will plenty of options for impact role players. I’m ok with letting Atlanta take the pick this year but I would assume if that happens we have a big trade lined up.
Yeah, honestly thankfully the Kings don't have a top pick in this draft, I like more of the players in the 10-20 range anyway.

I think that’s where I am too. I see role players all over the place in the draft. I know #13 is the very end of the lotto, but that’s a draft slot where you would hope to get a good player and starter.

Maybe we just have to shoot for BPAs like McCain, Carter, or Filipowski despite not being major areas of need. Not sure any of them would get meaningful minutes on the team seeing how MB prefers his trusted players and the vets.

Another way to look at this is if we use this pick we would have the following assets next off season to make a big swing:

player drafted at 13
‘25 first (if we end up in top 12)
‘25 Blazers 2nd
‘28 first
‘30 first

or
Player drafted at 13
‘26 first (if we stay out of the top 12 in draft)
‘28 first
‘30 first
‘32 first

Plus we could potentially have several expiring contracts to trade and if things get really wild I suppose a Keegan inclusion ( obviously I don’t want that option haha)

That’s a pretty decent spot to be in. For me, I would probably prefer to take a player on this draft, give Keegan a year to show us if he is MPJ or more than that and then make the big swing next year if things don’t look like. They are progressing.

I’m also not opposed to trading ‘13 for an established player. The Nets apparently like a few guys in this draft and don’t have a first round pick, maybe we pry one their wings for it

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Another way to look at this is if we use this pick we would have the following assets next off season to make a big swing:

player drafted at 13
‘25 first (if we end up in top 12)
‘25 Blazers 2nd
‘28 first
‘30 first

or
Player drafted at 13
‘26 first (if we stay out of the top 12 in draft)
‘28 first
‘30 first
‘32 first

Plus we could potentially have several expiring contracts to trade and if things get really wild I suppose a Keegan inclusion ( obviously I don’t want that option haha)

That’s a pretty decent spot to be in. For me, I would probably prefer to take a player on this draft, give Keegan a year to show us if he is MPJ or more than that and then make the big swing next year if things don’t look like. They are progressing.

I’m also not opposed to trading ‘13 for an established player. The Nets apparently like a few guys in this draft and don’t have a first round pick, maybe we pry one their wings for it
Did we get a TPE in the Holmes deal? Or because it put us under cap no? I know we had cap holds on players we re-signed so maybe we did.

If NJ is interested in a player at 13 and we have a TPE I wonder if we could package the pick for DFS and Cam Thomas. About 18.5 million between them from what I gather. They might win this one long term but it could provide Monk insurance and give us someone who can provide wing defense (though he's on the wrong side of 30 he still doesn't solve the shot blocking issue) so maybe you add Barnes in this deal and ask for one of their bigs.

I dunno. Depends who is actually there at 13 and if they'd sell Bridges and do a complete rebuild.