Flip Saunders is the new Pistons Head Coach

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2112721

Flip Saunders reached an agreement Wednesday to become the new coach of the Detroit Pistons, who wasted no time replacing Larry Brown.

[size=-2]Saunders[/size] The hiring of Saunders, the former coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves, was confirmed by an Eastern Conference official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the team planned to announce the deal at a news conference Thursday.

Following talks between Pistons team president Joe Dumars and Saunders' agent, the deal was finalized early Wednesday evening.

The Detroit News reported Saunders will receive a four-year contract worth between $4 million and $5 million per season.

Saunders' agent, Mark Termini, did not immediately return phone calls.

The appointment comes just one day after the Pistons finalized their severance agreement with Brown.

Team owner Bill Davidson provided some insight into the departure of the 64-year-old coach in an interview with WDIV-TV.

Brown, who had three years remaining on a five-year, $25 million contract, reportedly received $5 million in his severance package. He has already been contacted by New York Knicks president Isiah Thomas, who plans to meet with Brown in the coming days to gauge his interest in replacing interim coach Herb Williams.

Davidson was a key player in the departure of Brown, who spoke during the spring with the Cleveland Cavaliers about possibly becoming team president and also told the New York Post in the middle of last season that coaching the Knicks would be a "dream job."

Asked whether Brown's actions angered him, Davidson said: "I think a better word is peeved. You're certainly not happy when something like that happens."

Parting ways with Brown "was kind of easy," Davidson said. "There was too much Larry Brown and not enough Pistons. I wasn't happy with that. You've got to understand that whoever coaches the Pistons represents me. And I'm not going to give [the team and their fans] somebody that's not a good person."

Brown guided the Pistons to the NBA championship in 2004 and came one victory away from repeating this year. Throughout the season, Brown -- who underwent hip replacement surgery that led to a problem with his bladder -- insisted he would return to the Pistons if doctors deemed him healthy enough.

Saunders interviewed with several teams during the playoffs, nearly all of which filled their coaching vacancies with other candidates. Saunders was due to make more than $5 million in the upcoming season from the Timberwolves, who fired him in February after he had coached the franchise to a record of 411-326 over 9½ seasons.

"I'd certainly pay $7 million to win a championship," Davidson told WDIV.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
PixelPusher said:
Parting ways with Brown "was kind of easy," Davidson said. "There was too much Larry Brown and not enough Pistons. I wasn't happy with that. You've got to understand that whoever coaches the Pistons represents me. And I'm not going to give [the team and their fans] somebody that's not a good person."
Wow. OUCH! Talk about kicking someone on the way out.

Now you know why all the standard sportspeak was first devised.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saunders as LB's replacement was the worst kept secret in the NBA, but what surprised me in reading the article was how upfront Bill Davidson was with his criticism of Brown.

If that's what he's saying publicly, I wonder what he's saying behind closed doors.

funkykingston said:
Saunders as LB's replacement was the worst kept secret in the NBA, but what surprised me in reading the article was how upfront Bill Davidson was with his criticism of Brown.

If that's what he's saying publicly, I wonder what he's saying behind closed doors.
If they had wanted to keep it secret, I have a feeling that they would have kept it secret. They just didn't come out and say it for legal reasons.

Flip. Hmmm. Worked well with limited resources. Still an enigma to me.

Last edited:
Larry Brown is overrated in my opinion. That Piston team was damn good the year before Larry took over even without Rasheed. If you would have given Rick C. Rasheed when he was still there I think he would have won it all as well. When you consider how far his craptastic Pacers made it last season I think it shows how solid of a coach he is.

I think he's only saying it so bluntly because of the way LB went about his business, flaunting it everywhere so that it was the big story on the Pistons. Everyone else is talking about Brown in the same way, so no one should be shocked by any official comments in the same vein.

Hey, Davidson is a blunt guy. When he speeks, it is quick and to the point. Case in point: His candor about Vegas' odds against the Pistons winning the title 2 years ago, and his use of "colorful metaphors" :)

Man ... that's a step down from Brown ... say whatever you want about Larry Brown as a person, but all I know is that every team that he coached (since I've been following basketball) was either a contender or a serious playoffs team.

AriesMar27 said:
wow... does this mean that the pistons wont make it out of the first round?
last time I checked the pistons still have that amazing starting 5 so of course they will. The Pistons are still the favourites to win the east. A coaching change won't effect them that much. They are vets and what what it takes to win games. Besides it isn't like flip saunders isn't a good coach and it's not like he hasn't won games before. He took minny to the conference finals a few years back remember...now he has a very talented team to work with

I feel that Larry Brown brought this on himself. During the reg season he discussed coaching the Knicks as a dream job and who knows if he started talking to them (and ofcourse the media didn't help things). Then during the playoffs, there was more talk of Brown as a candidate for the Cleveland job as president or whatever it was. These two instances should never have happened especially while the Pistons were working their tails off to defend their titles. Davidson is right, there was too much Larry Brown and not enough Pistons.

Bricklayer said:
Wow. OUCH! Talk about kicking someone on the way out.

Now you know why all the standard sportspeak was first devised.
it's a joke to me. they fire carlisle after winning the central division and losing to the nets in the ecf, they hire a guy that already had a contract. now they say he's not loyal or a good person.

try that with your wife. divorce her after she's been a loyal good wife. steal somebody else's wife who helps you become an outstanding success. then kick her to the curb and say she's no good. i say mirror

KingKong said:
I feel that Larry Brown brought this on himself. During the reg season he discussed coaching the Knicks as a dream job and who knows if he started talking to them (and ofcourse the media didn't help things). Then during the playoffs, there was more talk of Brown as a candidate for the Cleveland job as president or whatever it was. These two instances should never have happened especially while the Pistons were working their tails off to defend their titles. Davidson is right, there was too much Larry Brown and not enough Pistons.
he should not have done those things. but in the first place, the talk didn't affect his team one bit. in the second place, winning without any warts is basically impossible. so what did he get? a second rate coach. not a third rate coach, not a first rate coach. he got a coach that will get them to the playoffs where they will lose in first or second rounds or ecf.

Dave McNulla said:
it's a joke to me. they fire carlisle after winning the central division and losing to the nets in the ecf, they hire a guy that already had a contract. now they say he's not loyal or a good person.

try that with your wife. divorce her after she's been a loyal good wife. steal somebody else's wife who helps you become an outstanding success. then kick her to the curb and say she's no good. i say mirror
I admit, that is a good analogy. Here is another way of looking at it:
Bill is a good ol' boy. He was probably in his 50's before "Politicaly Correct" was invented (as we know it today). He is also filthy stinkin rich. He didn't get that way by being a "nice guy". In fact, he has been know nto pull alot of "nasty stuff" to get him to where Bill D is at. With that said, being filty stinkin rich, and old: Saying whatever you want comes with the teritory.