First Event at Golden 1 Center

Is there anyone on the board that knows when the 2016-2017 nba season will start?

I'm planning a 3-week trip of the west-coast, visiting several national parks, and finishing my trip with a couple of days in San Francisco. My biggest wish of course is to be there when we open the new arena. I'm flying some 5445 miles, so it would be such a shame if I'd miss the opening it by a week.

After looking at the nba start dates of the previous seasons (2000-2015), it seems to start the last tuesday of october, with exception of 2004 and 2005.

2015: Tuesday October 27
2014: Tuesday October 28
2013: Tuesday October 29
2012: Tuesday October 30
2010: Tuesday October 26
2009: Tuesday October 27
2008: Tuesday October 28
2007: Tuesday October 30
2006: Tuesday October 31
2005: Tuesday November 1
2004: Tuesday November 2
2003: Tuesday October 28
2002: Tuesday October 29
2001: Tuesday October 30
2000: Tuesday October 31
Note that the Kings don't always start at home. Sometimes it's another week before their first home game. Also, just because they're opening a new arena doesn't necessarily mean they get a home game to start the season.

This year the calendar is the same as 2005. Presumably that means November 1 if it follows the pattern above. So the first home game will probably be in the first week of November based on what you listed.

This year the calendar is the same as 2005. Presumably that means November 1 if it follows the pattern above. So the first home game will probably be in the first week of November based on what you listed.
I noticed that too. But with all the critique on the difficult schedule, trying to minimize back to backs and 4-in-5's, I can also understand if that extra week will be used.

I've sent the question to the kings and the nba by mail. On twitter I've asked all the nba teams, some 30 nba 'journalists' but I've gotten little response. And the only response is that the schedule isn't known yet.

My understanding is that the nba asks the teams to provide, about a month before the end of the season, a list of at least 50 dates on which their home court is available. If that's correct, I can only assume that the nba then also specifies the start and end date of the season.

If I can find someone who knows the start date, there's still that chance of starting with a long roadtrip.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Toyota Center - Fleetwood Mac concert - 10/06/2003, first Rockets game 10/30/2003

Time Warner Cable Arena - Rolling Stones concert October 2005, first Bobcats game 11/05/2005

Amway Center - official ribbon cutting on 09/29/2010 with public invited during State of Downtown address, Vicente Fernández concert on 10/8/2010, first Magic preseason game on 10/10/2010, regular season home opener on 10/28/2010

Barclays Center - Opened to public on 09/21/2012 with 200 protesters, Jay-Z concert on 09/28/2012, preseason Nets game on 10/15/2012, first regular season game on 11/03/2012

Golden 1 Center = ?

(All info from Wikipedia)
And now we know...

Golden 1 Center = Sir Paul McCartney concert

Glenn

Hall of Famer
And now we know...

Golden 1 Center = Sir Paul McCartney concert
Sir Paul loves to entertain and as he is worth over $1 billion, the highest of any musician, I suspect he would do it gratis just to compare the acoustics of Golden 1 to 02.

We speculated about this for a while. While I'm not a big McCartney fan, or The Beatles for that matter, I am glad the very first act to grace Golden 1 will be a living legend. So much better than it being Miley Cyrus or Taylor Swift or Maroon 5.

I read that Sir Paul was intrigued to not only come to Sacramento but to open the new arena. Nice to hear.

Sir Paul loves to entertain and as he is worth over $1 billion, the highest of any musician, I suspect he would do it gratis just to compare the acoustics of Golden 1 to 02.
Paul McCartney doesn't do anything for free.

He's gained a reputation over the decades of being quite a tightwad. I think probably instilled in him from his upbringing.

But back on track, Sir Paul is a great first event at Golden1

Call it an inferiority complex... but I just feel like it would have been cool to have our own thing an not copy the bay area.

I know I will get flamed and I did on Twitter, as I agree that he would be at the top of anyones list.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Call it an inferiority complex... but I just feel like it would have been cool to have our own thing an not copy the bay area.

I know I will get flamed and I did on Twitter, as I agree that he would be at the top of anyones list.
Why do you think you'll get flamed here? This isn't Twitter... If you have an inferiority complex about the bay area, that's your problem not KF's. ;)

While I don't have a problem with McCartney being the first show --- I understand where you are coming from. I made no secret that I selfishly wanted to see Guns N' Roses be the first act to come through. They aren't local, but they are from CA and one of the biggest rock bands of the past 30 years.

I just saw them in Las Vegas last month in the brand new T-Mobile Arena, which opened just a few days before (they were the 3rd and 4th shows there). In fact, Vegas went with a local act to open the building. The first show was The Killers and Wayne Newton.

I don't think Sacramento had many local options to choose from. Tesla and Cake can't draw like they used to.

That's another reason I think GN'R would have been a great choice. But I'm not sure that was ever a viable option because their US tour ends in August and they are likely going to be in South America or Europe by October.

The "fan pre-sale" and the "american express pre-sale" put a lot of tickets on the market - but my twitter feed was deluged by complaints about people not being able to get through. There is a season ticket holder pre-sale scheduled for tomorrow and it will be interesting to see if people have better luck with that one. Obviously they have held back SOME inventory for STH, but I doubt it will keep everyone happy.

I tried for half an hour at 8AM sharp yesterday and periodically throughout the day to get through on the fan pre-sale to no avail. So I just paid off the scalpers - if I had gotten them through ticketmaster they would have been $600, through stubhub they cost me $830. Oh well, scalpers have kids to put through school too I guess :)

I wouldn't pay that much JUST to see McCartney, but to be there for the first event in the new building I'll do it. Seems like only yesterday when I saw him in 2005 (God was it that long ago...) and he does an amazing show- has an amazing band.

I had hoped for Guns n Roses too. I'm going to have to go to ATT park to see them I guess.

I wouldn't pay that much JUST to see McCartney, but to be there for the first event in the new building I'll do it. Seems like only yesterday when I saw him in 2005 (God was it that long ago...) and he does an amazing show- has an amazing band.

I had hoped for Guns n Roses too. I'm going to have to go to ATT park to see them I guess.
Congrats on scoring tix. I might try on Fri.

As for GN'R, I already saw them in Vegas and already scored tix for the SF show too. Hope to see you there!

I had the opportunity to watch Sir Paul McCartney perform at AT&T Park on July 10, 2010. I sat in the 23rd row from the stage.

Also got to watch him close out Candlestick Park on August 14, 2014. I sat in row 7 from the stage.

During those years in between as I attended countless city council meetings, there was one person and only one person that I wanted to open the new downtown arena. I wanted someone who truly fit "Bigger Than Basketball"

That person was McCartney. Along with my friends we pushed hard for him to be the opening event.

So I'll just share what I shared on social media yesterday.

Tickets went on sale this morning for the Paul McCartney concert, the first event at the new Golden 1 Center.

My friends and I pushed hard to get McCartney to open the new downtown arena. My mission was to get first row seats.

I had my computer set up ready to go with 5-6 web browsers open along with the Ticket Master app. I used the fan club pre-sale at 8:00 am and kept getting error messages or no tickets available for 20 plus minutes.

Finally gave the app one last try and two tickets appeared. It was meant to be. As Jesse "the Body" Ventura once said it's better to be lucky than good. I was lucky.

Mission accomplished.

Last edited:
well if you were a mercenary you could probably flip the tix and merch for a hefty profit.

But actually looks like a killer bucket list experience for a true fan - congrats and have fun I'll wave from the cheap seats!

I saw him twice at Arco - and he really rocks hard on the Wings stuff like Jet, Band On The Run, and Live & Let Die (my favorite number from both shows). Well he did back in 2005 when he was only 63

well if you were a mercenary you could probably flip the tix and merch for a hefty profit.

But actually looks like a killer bucket list experience for a true fan - congrats and have fun I'll wave from the cheap seats!

I saw him twice at Arco - and he really rocks hard on the Wings stuff like Jet, Band On The Run, and Live & Let Die (my favorite number from both shows). Well he did back in 2005 when he was only 63
I noticed on Stub Hub someone is selling their seats next to mine. I won't be selling mine or buying extra tickets to sell for any kind of a profit.